DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video background music question

Dbez1

107 Pilot
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Can we use copyrighted music as background in our videos that are posted on this website? I notice many are doing it with really cool results. Is it okay as long as it’s not generating income for us or is it one of those things that is not technically legal but the artists really don’t care? Just curious.?

Can we use copyrighted music as background in our videos that are posted on this website? I notice many are doing it with really cool results. Is it okay as long as it’s not generating income for us or is it one of those things that is not technically legal but the artists really don’t care? Just curious.?
No. It is copyright infringement... you’ll have to upload them to YouTube or similar and make the public to post here.
Search free music on this site and you’ll get links to a bunch of royalty free music... most require you to post acknowledgement in your vid.

It's one of those things that only hurts when you get found out! I paid a license for a piece of music, used it on a video and posted it on YouTube - but since I had changed the title of the video, the owner jumped on me to tell me that I'd broken the license agreement. I was able to prove that I had paid, however, so it was not pursued - It's something that you can be hit with an astronomical lawsuit for, so really not worth chancing it. Have a look around on the Internet and you'll find license-free sites and sites where the music is purchased for a pretty low subscription rate.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Mavic Pilots doesn’t host videos, you have to upload them to YouTube and then share the link here.

YouTube has deals with all the record companies that allows you to use their music in your videos so long as if you ever decide to monetize your videos, some or all of the proceeds will go to the record companies. YouTube handles this for you so there’s nothing extra you need to do, they will just send you a notice after you upload the video.

I did once come across a song that was copyrighted but didn’t have a deal with YouTube. YouTube just wouldn’t allow me to upload the video. These are few and far between. If you don’t care about monetizing your video then go for it. YouTube would be a mess if this wasn’t worked out already.

Mavic Pilots doesn’t host videos, you have to upload them to YouTube and then share the link here.

YouTube has deals with all the record companies that allows you to use their music in your videos so long as if you ever decide to monetize your videos, some or all of the proceeds will go to the record companies. YouTube handles this for you so there’s nothing extra you need to do, they will just send you a notice after you upload the video.

I did once come across a song that was copyrighted but didn’t have a deal with YouTube. YouTube just wouldn’t allow me to upload the video. These are few and far between. If you don’t care about monetizing your video then go for it. YouTube would be a mess if this wasn’t worked out already.
My experience exactly, some you cannot use at all and others are fine but your video cannot be monetized by you rather they take any proceeds from views etc. That is not a problem with me because my channel isn't monetized to begin with and I don't muster enough views to count for anything.

Use anything from YouTube...even copyrighted songs.
YouTube has changed over the years.
They now allow copyrighted music if the creator allows it.
This is in exchange that you cannot monetize it - the creator gets the ad revenue.
In the past 5 years of creating videos I have never received a copyright strike.
Good ole Johnny Cash
However, I have had tracks muted because the creator or interested parties is in dispute about who gets the ad revenue.
So I just delete the video from YouTube, edit in another track and try again.
That has happened maybe 3 times in the past 5 years?
Looking forward to your work.

I searched a lot of music sites and finally decided on www.musicbed.com
So far I am happy with the selection and I no longer have to worry about repercussions of stolen music rights.

Reactions: Gindra
YouTube also has a music library and you can use them without getting copyright strike/notice.

Reactions: Gindra
A fantastic YouTube downloader. Free and easy. Pulls audio/video or just audio from the track. One of the best pieces of free software I have ever found (and I've been scouring the internet for 20 years for this stuff) LOL

A fantastic YouTube downloader. Free and easy. Pulls audio/video or just audio from the track. One of the best pieces of free software I have ever found (and I've been scouring the internet for 20 years for this stuff) LOL

Please explain to me...shy would you want to download a You Tube video to your computer if you can just watch it as is? Also, is there any adware or malware associated with the download?

Reactions: Thomas B
Please explain to me...shy would you want to download a You Tube video to your computer if you can just watch it as is? Also, is there any adware or malware associated with the download?

Tons of non copyrighted music on there...now if we just had a free and simple way to extract the audio from the clips. ;) No adware...just an awesome piece of software. Copy the link and then click "paste" in the program. It'll populate various choices to download all available tracks.

All of my audio from these two videos was pulled from YouTube....

Tons of non copyrighted music on there...now if we just had a free and simple way to extract the audio from the clips. ;) No adware...just an awesome piece of software. Copy the link and then click "paste" in the program. It'll populate various choices to download all available tracks.

All of my audio from these two videos was pulled from YouTube....

So Fuzzball: I read your post and went to your first video of the GM Plant with Bob Seger Like A. Rock

Song
Like A Rock (Remastered)
Artist
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
Writers
Robert Seger
Licensed to YouTube by
UMG (on behalf of EMI); UNIAO BRASILEIRA DE EDITORAS DE MUSICA - UBEM, LatinAutor, UMPI, Global Music Rights LLC, LatinAutor - UMPG, and 7 Music Rights Societies

I am not so sure if we can use music like this legally this just because it is on You Tube under the Fair Use clause. The last thing we all need is a copyright lawsuit. I routinely copied music from any source, especially You Tube, merely with the recorder of my iPhone, then sent it to my MAC via AIR Drop, and the music was on my computer to use any way I want to. I got several royalty warnings from them and so I decided to just pay for a music service, which I now do. I've just decided to play it safe.

Reactions: fuzzball
So Fuzzball: I read your post and went to your first video of the GM Plant with Bob Seger Like A. Rock

Song
Like A Rock (Remastered)
Artist
Writers
Robert Seger
Licensed to YouTube by
UMG (on behalf of EMI); UNIAO BRASILEIRA DE EDITORAS DE MUSICA - UBEM, LatinAutor, UMPI, Global Music Rights LLC, LatinAutor - UMPG, and 7 Music Rights Societies

I am not so sure if we can use music like this legally this just because it is on You Tube under the Fair Use clause. The last thing we all need is a copyright lawsuit. I routinely copied music from any source, especially You Tube, merely with the recorder of my iPhone, then sent it to my MAC via AIR Drop, and the music was on my computer to use any way I want to. I got several royalty warnings from them and so I decided to just pay for a music service, which I now do. I've just decided to play it safe.

The notice I got from You Tube was that it was licensed to them and I could use it. Any monetization I receive for the video could be claimed by You Tube. Not gonna be any of that since it's just for fun. As an experiment I made a short video using audio from a video that was posted by the band themselves (Aerosmith). As soon as it went up I got a completely different much more serious warning from YouTube as a cease and desist. I did that so I could see what a bad upload looks like. Two completely different animals from what my experiments have shown.

The notice I got from You Tube was that it was licensed to them and I could use it. Any monetization I receive for the video could be claimed by You Tube. Not gonna be any of that since it's just for fun. As an experiment I made a short video using audio from a video that was posted by the band themselves (Aerosmith). As soon as it went up I got a completely different much more serious warning from YouTube as a cease and desist. I did that so I could see what a bad upload looks like. Two completely different animals from what my experiments have shown.
I wish you luck and no problems.

Reactions: fuzzball

Song
Like A Rock (Remastered)
Artist
Writers
Robert Seger
Licensed to YouTube by

This was my experimental video. My initial upload was using audio from a VEVO Video on the band's YouTube page. Not good...LOL. I replaced that with the same song but from a video shot of the band by a fan so no problems there. It eventually found it's way to the Facebook page of an auto mechanic I follow. I've got a bunch of fun little clips in the community section of his page just for laughs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair