DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Captions won't turn ON

BigBoozer

Reactions
Hi folks, I'm trying to save the GPS coordinates in the EXIF file of the images, and I was told by DJI tech service that the only way to save them in a video file (while there is no problem in seeing them in the EXIF data of a still picture) is to activate the Video Captions option. Therefore I turn ON the relevant item in the menu of my Mavic 2 Pro (in H265 mode). The switch turns green, ON. As soon as I hit the video recording button, the Video Captions switch turns OFF immediately. If, instead, I hit the photo shooting button, the Video Captions switch stays ON just for the time of saving the photo file then it turns OFF. Any idea on how to keep it ON?
Or, looking it from a different point of view, is there a way to save GPS coordinates in the EXIF data of a DJI video file? I do not need the coordinates of the whole flight, just those of the RC at the moment of take off or landing. Thanks, as usual.

Hi folks, I'm trying to save the GPS coordinates in the EXIF file of the images, and I was told by DJI tech service that the only way to save them in a video file (while there is no problem in seeing them in the EXIF data of a still picture) is to activate the Video Captions option. Therefore I turn ON the relevant item in the menu of my Mavic 2 Pro (in H265 mode). The switch turns green, ON. As soon as I hit the video recording button, the Video Captions switch turns OFF immediately. If, instead, I hit the photo shooting button, the Video Captions switch stays ON just for the time of saving the photo file then it turns OFF. Any idea on how to keep it ON?
Or, looking it from a different point of view, is there a way to save GPS coordinates in the EXIF data of a DJI video file? I do not need the coordinates of the whole flight, just those of the RC at the moment of take off or landing. Thanks, as usual.

Are you pressing the video record button before closing the settings menu?

Reactions: KLRSKIR
To close the post, I have found since yesterday on the SD card of the drone a .SRT file for each .MP4 videoclip. The SRT file contains latitude and longitude data, as I needed.
This is the first time - after five years of use, three drones and at least 475 flights - that I find these data files with the videos. Do not ask me how, but now the Video Captions "ON" option remains On rather than going automatically to Off as before. I did not upgrade firmware and software in the past week, just to be clear.

End of the story, thanks for cooperation, folks!

Reactions: MS Coast
To close the post, I have found since yesterday on the SD card of the drone a .SRT file for each .MP4 videoclip. The SRT file contains latitude and longitude data, as I needed.
This is the first time - after five years of use, three drones and at least 475 flights - that I find these data files with the videos. Do not ask me how, but now the Video Captions "ON" option remains On rather than going automatically to Off as before. I did not upgrade firmware and software in the past week, just to be clear.

End of the story, thanks for cooperation, folks!
How do you read the SRT file? Looks like gibberish to me?

How do you read the SRT file? Looks like gibberish to me?
I read them with Notepad, they look totally transparent, see this:
"1
00:00:00,000 --> 00:00:00,040
FrameCnt : 1, DiffTime : 40ms 2022-07-05 17:55:23,738,517
[iso : 100] [shutter : 1/800.0] [fnum : 560] [ev : 0] [ct : 5564] [color_md : d_log] [latitude : 45.467380] [longtitude : 9.038432] [altitude: 179.360992]
"
They are generated every 40 milliseconds, i.e. 25 in a second, i.e. one block of text for every recorded frame. There is even a typo in the script generating this file : "longtitude" instead of "longitude"

Most video players can display the SRT file information on the screen as the video plays, if the video and SRT files are in the same directory. Irfanview and VLC Video Player will.
Correct, I just discovered that!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada