DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video card (or other) component upgrade warranted on my PC? Or am I setting Davinci Resolve wrong?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
Not knowing that I was going to be editing video a year after purchasing my last desktop (last June) I find myself doing a lot of it since getting into drones this June. The processor is a i7-8700 @3.2GHz, 3192 Mhz, 6 cores. Installed Physical Memory is shown as 48.0GB. This PC currently has a NVIDIA GEForce GTX1070 graphics card with 8GB of memory and stated resolution @ 2560x1440x59hz. The C drive is a 1TB SSD with two other SSD drives installed for extra storage.

I usually shoot video at 4k 30fps (or 24fps), edit in Davinci Resolve. Timeline resolution in Davinci is typically 1920x1080, and video monitoring HD1080p/24 [optimized/render cache formats DNxHR HQX]. However after making edits playback can be very jerky unless I "generate optimized media", then it's only slightly unsmooth. But still, very difficult to see the smoothness of the edits until I render the videos.

Obviously the processor is decent, the RAM is about as much as I can put in this machine and SSD drives....
Would I have any practical benefit if I upgraded the graphics card? ... Or am I missing something in Davinci settings that might help?

I can't get Davinci to work properly on my PC
I have
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Asustek ROG Maximus XI Hero Motherboard
Intel i9 Processor
32 GB DDR-4 Ram
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super UHD Graphics
1.5 TB SSD

I contacted them saying I tested out the free version before purchasing the full version, I got a reply saying “ we do not give support for the free version” They lose out because if I can’t get it to work properly then I won't pay for it.

For some reason the prevew windows go blank when I atempt to play a clip.

Thank you for posting this. It is good to know where folks are running into problems with their computers. I have no answers. I can't keep up with the changes in technology regarding computers. I can say that with some high end software e.g. Cubase and Wavelab for audio work, I have even experienced compatibility issues between motherboard and graphics card that impacted performance. Immense amount of time researching and working with tech support to get to a result.

I can't get Davinci to work properly on my PC
I have
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Asustek ROG Maximus XI Hero Motherboard
Intel i9 Processor
32 GB DDR-4 Ram
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super UHD Graphics
1.5 TB SSD

I contacted them saying I tested out the free version before purchasing the full version, I got a reply saying “ we do not give support for the free version” They lose out because if I can’t get it to work properly then I won't pay for it.

For some reason the prevew windows go blank when I atempt to play a clip.

Sometimes things make little logical sense. Did you build this PC yourself or have it built?
Have you checked your settings in Davinci Resolve? My guess is that you might want to check your monitor settings. I wish I could remember the YouTube video I saw relative to setting that up. I think my settings, if tweaked might resolve my problem. A lot of folks with a lot less processing/graphics power seem to do fine with it. Perhaps I'm answering my own question? I don'tknow.

Why don't you go to the Blackmagic Forum in the Davinci Resolve section and pose the question there.
Blackmagic Davinci Resolve Forum

Sometimes things make little logical sense. Did you build this PC yourself or have it built?
Have you checked your settings in Davinci Resolve? My guess is that you might want to check your monitor settings. I wish I could remember the YouTube video I saw relative to setting that up. I think my settings, if tweaked might resolve my problem. A lot of folks with a lot less processing/graphics power seem to do fine with it. Perhaps I'm answering my own question? I don'tknow.

Why don't you go to the Blackmagic Forum in the Davinci Resolve section and pose the question there.
Blackmagic Davinci Resolve Forum

Built it myself.
Will have another go at sorting the problem but I gave up last time.
Blackmagic Forum sounds like a plan Thumbswayup

Hi, I'm running DaVinci Resolve free latest version WITHOUT any problems on a new bought PC with Windows 10, Intel i7 9700, 32 GB DDR-4 RAM, 1 TB SSD and 2 TB HD and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 with 6GB. I haven't changed the Resolve settings very much, especially not to "generate optimized media". I shoot in 4k/30fps or 2.7k/60 fps, timeline resolution is 1920x1080. No problems with the preview or the rendered results, everything works fine and fast.

If you have questions about specific settings I can post the ones I use.
Using the Blackmagic forum seems to be a good idea.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo