DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video choppy post editing

Elgreco3

Reactions
Hey guys,
I am new to editing and I have a question.

I just came back from a chalet trip and edited the footage using Davinci resolve.
Nothing much , just cut some clips, added a transition in each and a music track.

I did it in 1080 p only as I was planning to upload it to youtube for my family to see

All the videos were taken in 4k using my zoom and 30 fps

I play the video on my pc and the motion is choppy.
Now, I have not uploaded yet to youtube , neither I have tried it in another pc as the one I am using is not all that powerful for editing but it did the job.

Does the pc play a roll in how the editing will come out ?
Isn't it only going to take longer as I assumed, but do the job eventually ? individual clips in 4k play fine by themselves, but the output is choppy

Am I supposed to do something else ? Should I use another pc ( I have one more powerful) to edit it ?

output : mp4, h.264

Thanks for any input.

Do the video clips play perfectly on your PC before you edit them ?
yes, perfect. That's why I don't get it..
I tried limiting the quality of the output but won't change anything, the motion is still choppy, I could post a link to youtube if that would help

Editing newbie here, but I have found that a perfectly good 1080p video deteriorates even after simple cropping of length using Windows Photo to shorten....and I have to admit to not knowing why...VLC seems to do it better...

yes, perfect. That's why I don't get it..
I tried limiting the quality of the output but won't change anything, the motion is still choppy, I could post a link to youtube if that would help

post the youtube link

Here is a small version of it without sound. I even tried omitting the sound thinking it has something to do wit it but nothing.
Any ideas ? Fast forward the part of the house that I don't move. I just dropped anything I found on the timeline to edit a small portion for you guys to see how it outputs.

I have never used DaVinci Resolve, but I had a similar looking problem in Premiere Pro last year. Then I had mixed different frame rates in the same project and the output was in 24 fps even if some of my clips were in 30 fps. This caused the 30 fps clips to be "choppy" like yours. Maybe there is a way to check in DaVinci if your project settings is the same frame rate as your files?

This is just a random guess, but maybe it can solve something? :)

I have never used DaVinci Resolve, but I had a similar looking problem in Premiere Pro last year. Then I had mixed different frame rates in the same project and the output was in 24 fps even if some of my clips were in 30 fps. This caused the 30 fps clips to be "choppy" like yours. Maybe there is a way to check in DaVinci if your project settings is the same frame rate as your files?

This is just a random guess, but maybe it can solve something? :)
Ah... I think you might be on something. Il check tonight. I am away from the pc now.

It usually asks you if you want to change the fame rate and I think I answered no as they were not the same.
There might be a conflict there.
Thanks for the idea.

I will post later on once I have a chance to check and let you guys know.

Reactions: VegardBerland
Well, that did it.
This time around I had to let the software adjust the frame rate by itself and the video came out smooth.

Now, for anyone using Davinci, I shoot in 30 fps, what does it mean when it says the videos are not the same rate as the project when they first load in the video file section ? Is it by default set to 24 fps let's say ?

Reason I am asking is I tried first outputting under custom, and chose frame rate of 30 and the video still came choppy.

But when I let it do the conversion itself when asked, everything worked out ok.

I am just trying to learn the mechanics of it.

Thanks.

Reactions: VegardBerland
Well, that did it.
This time around I had to let the software adjust the frame rate by itself and the video came out smooth.

Now, for anyone using Davinci, I shoot in 30 fps, what does it mean when it says the videos are not the same rate as the project when they first load in the video file section ? Is it by default set to 24 fps let's say ?

Reason I am asking is I tried first outputting under custom, and chose frame rate of 30 and the video still came choppy.

But when I let it do the conversion itself when asked, everything worked out ok.

I am just trying to learn the mechanics of it.

Thanks.

Now, for anyone using Davinci, I shoot in 30 fps, what does it mean when it says the videos are not the same rate as the project when they first load in the video file section ?

That means that you have created a new project at different fps, that the first clip you have added to a timeline

You can adjust the fps of the project in many ways:

1.- Before create the project, right click on "Untitled Project" ans select the correct settings of it

1596034740144.png

2.- After created the project but before adding any clip to timelines, with the settings icon on the bottton right of the screen

1596034857638.png

Because you have changed the render settings, not the timeline settings so probably you have edited a video at 24fps and render it at 30fps

Because it has changed timeline settings, not render settings

Hope this helps yoy to understand

Reactions: Elgreco3
That means that you have created a new project at different fps, that the first clip you have added to a timeline

You can adjust the fps of the project in many ways:

1.- Before create the project, right click on "Untitled Project" ans select the correct settings of it

View attachment 109205

2.- After created the project but before adding any clip to timelines, with the settings icon on the bottton right of the screen

View attachment 109206

Because you have changed the render settings, not the timeline settings so probably you have edited a video at 24fps and render it at 30fps

Because it has changed timeline settings, not render settings

Hope this helps yoy to understand
Thank you for the explanations.

Makes a bit more sense now. Much appreciated.

Reactions: eutx9795

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929