DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video delivery to client..Question

Arizdrona

Reactions
Is anybody out there delivering edited video as a MOV for example, WITHOUT hosting or links for MLS for example?? Letting the client deal with HOW they are getting it on their MLS themselves... Simply sending them the video itself? Photos are no issue, but hosting video is... without all the branding.. I know of a few people who say hell no to dealing with that.. they say the hosting is not their responsibility, shooting the video is..

I do know I can get a PRO Vimeo subscription and all, but it's really expensive... so is hosting yourself...
Thoughts???

Reactions: mereflyer
I guess if you want to deal with the work, and all the other bits that go with that.

Myself, when I do a shoot, the client gets copies of all the imaging (Raw and Edited/Processed) to do with as they wish, end of the contract. How they want to
handle is their thing.

I have been approached to doing this, and I politely decline, saying I just don't have the time to manage that aspect.

Is anybody out there delivering edited video as a MOV for example, WITHOUT hosting or links for MLS for example?? Letting the client deal with HOW they are getting it on their MLS themselves... Simply sending them the video itself? Photos are no issue, but hosting video is... without all the branding.. I know of a few people who say **** no to dealing with that.. they say the hosting is not their responsibility, shooting the video is..

I do know I can get a PRO Vimeo subscription and all, but it's really expensive... so is hosting yourself...
Thoughts???
Have you considered self hosting using a hosting service and installed web application. There are several good photo/video hosting apps that can be installed on your server space . Most good hosts like inmotion hosting have good options and install packages on their control panel. One example I have seen is zenphoto. But there are plenty of options. I would suggest talking to a good hosting company and they can sell you on options. Google self-hosted video photo gallery to poke around a bit. A bit of shared server space and a domain name is very reasonable nowadays.

Hosting definitely gives you more control over the content, if that is important to you.

I'm down to only doing the Nutcracker ballet every December. I still deliver the video on DVD and still have more requests for that than the true HD version. DVD does have the advantage of permanence. It is also easy to navigate. For the HD version, I still have never had a single request for Blu-Ray and instead deliver on thumb drive.

I then put an HD version of the highlights on YouTube, using the overture as the background music (by definition, the overture play during the performance before the performers take the stage).

For still photos, quite a few of my professional photographer friends use Smugmug.

As for the format for delivery, I would not deliver on MOV but instead would deliver MP4. They are just wrappers, and you can convert one to the other, if you have the right software, but MP4 seems to be playable on more devices than MOV.

If your client can't use your video then they no longer have a need for your and your services. John-Boy down the road will be more than happy to help them with the hosting and acquiring the data and might do it for less $$.

As a business person you should be a Problem Solver for your clients and make it to where they would never need or want to entertain someone else to do your work.

Is anybody out there delivering edited video as a MOV for example, WITHOUT hosting or links for MLS for example?? Letting the client deal with HOW they are getting it on their MLS themselves... Simply sending them the video itself? Photos are no issue, but hosting video is... without all the branding.. I know of a few people who say **** no to dealing with that.. they say the hosting is not their responsibility, shooting the video is..

Thoughts???
Full disclosure: I don’t know anything about this but after reading your post I did some research just for my own curiosity and I came a cross this site that looks like it was designed to address this issue specifically

Again never used it don’t know anything about it more than what I read on their page and saw in the video but looks promising and free is always nice. Just thought I’d share FWIW

Full disclosure: I don’t know anything about this but after reading your post I did some research just for my own curiosity and I came a cross this site that looks like it was designed to address this issue specifically

Again never used it don’t know anything about it more than what I read on their page and saw in the video but looks promising and free is always nice. Just thought I’d share FWIW

SBA the website you mention, merely instructs you to use another site first, then upload to them... the problem is with the other sites... these folks have recommended using the 1st vimeo pay account, the cheapest to buy to strip all badging from your video... but I could not get it to work properly...I always had say a vimeo badge on the video.. could not strip it off... Many MLS sites may let a video on, but after a while, they notice and boot the video from the MLS site..
Back to square 1...
Many people have told me it's our job to shoot and provide the data, not to deal in any way with what they do with it. Everyone wants to pay the least (as usual) for anything, I am not happy about that and then paying out too much on my end and hoping after the contract ends (I have been paid and we are done) to worry about anything down the road in regards to material being kicked off somebodys MLS listing for ANY reason.

Send them the resulting file via WeTransfer/Dropbox?
Sending the files/video is easy 45 different ways... Hosting it for them and or providing hosting from somebody else and delivering a "link" is not. There lies the trouble.. The links apply branding, names etc that are rejected by most MLS agencies.. hope that makes sense..

If your client can't use your video then they no longer have a need for your and your services. John-Boy down the road will be more than happy to help them with the hosting and acquiring the data and might do it for less $$.

As a business person you should be a Problem Solver for your clients and make it to where they would never need or want to entertain someone else to do your work.
I absolutely agree... but unless this can be done in a way that removes me from future exposure because my "links" will no longer be accepted for ANY reason, thats a problem.. Delivering the requested VIDEO or PHOTOS and being done with it contractually seems like the way we all should be doing this, but that's just my humble opinion. Let the agents Company or IT people figure out how and what to do with the footage on their end..

I guess if you want to deal with the work, and all the other bits that go with that.

Myself, when I do a shoot, the client gets copies of all the imaging (Raw and Edited/Processed) to do with as they wish, end of the contract. How they want to
handle is their thing.

I have been approached to doing this, and I politely decline, saying I just don't have the time to manage that aspect.
THIS!!

I absolutely agree... but unless this can be done in a way that removes me from future exposure because my "links" will no longer be accepted for ANY reason, thats a problem.. Delivering the requested VIDEO or PHOTOS and being done with it contractually seems like the way we all should be doing this, but that's just my humble opinion. Let the agents Company or IT people figure out how and what to do with the footage on their end..

I fully see your point and respect it but that's just not how it has worked for me, my business, and my client base. Maybe I'm just too generous or maybe I'm too protective of my client base to "risk" someone else solving my clients problem and opening the door for a One Stop Shop.

It's also important that I have had a few clients who we did their very first video and they don't have a large IT dept at their disposal. I offered them a service they didn't know they needed and by providing the One Stop Shop I was able to increase my offerings (aka profit) and hopefully keep someone else from stepping in and taking my bread $$.

What works for me and my business may or may NOT work for you and your business.

I fully see your point and respect it but that's just not how it has worked for me, my business, and my client base. Maybe I'm just too generous or maybe I'm too protective of my client base to "risk" someone else solving my clients problem and opening the door for a One Stop Shop.

It's also important that I have had a few clients who we did their very first video and they don't have a large IT dept at their disposal. I offered them a service they didn't know they needed and by providing the One Stop Shop I was able to increase my offerings (aka profit) and hopefully keep someone else from stepping in and taking my bread $$.

What works for me and my business may or may NOT work for you and your business.

So what do you do then? Do you have your own server that you use?

So what do you do then? Do you have your own server that you use?
I have purchased hosting through a 3rd party and I host the videos for them "unbranded". Then I simply provide the MLS Agent with a link . For the record, this is a requirement for my biggest client which is a National Client so I'd guess many others who are working for them are offering the same service.

I have purchased hosting through a 3rd party and I host the videos for them "unbranded". Then I simply provide the MLS Agent with a link . For the record, this is a requirement for my biggest client which is a National Client so I'd guess many others who are working for them are offering the same service.

Not knowing anything about this industry I’m shocked they would let you do that much less require it. You’d think a national company would want all that stuff handled by them. If you or your hosting service went bankrupt then all those videos would be turned off and god knows how somebody would fix that mess. Very interesting. I’d love to have a conversation with the IT director of that company and ask what he’s thinking.

Not knowing anything about this industry I’m shocked they would let you do that much less require it. You’d think a national company would want all that stuff handled by them. If you or your hosting service went bankrupt then all those videos would be turned off and god knows how somebody would fix that mess. Very interesting. I’d love to have a conversation with the IT director of that company and ask what he’s thinking.

You make a valid point/concern but this company doesn't work with fly-by-night operations although anyone could go under at any time after a bad decision or some other unexpected Uh Oh.

Again, I pretty much agree with the service aspect, but not the exposure and related costs.. Although in fairness, there is expected costs to doing business..
Through Vimeo pro it comes out to @$1200 a year to provide this service, (others are more than that..) AND expose yourself to issues later down the road for any reasons the videos are rejected or kicked out of the MLS... Maybe we should all rethink this procedure.. as an industry... but, you know how that goes..LOL

Again, I pretty much agree with the service aspect, but not the exposure and related costs.. Although in fairness, there is expected costs to doing business..
Through Vimeo pro it comes out to @$1200 a year to provide this service, (others are more than that..) AND expose yourself to issues later down the road for any reasons the videos are rejected or kicked out of the MLS... Maybe we should all rethink this procedure.. as an industry... but, you know how that goes..LOL

Ok I found another one. Again no experience using them just kinda finding stuff on google but it says this guy is an avid Droner and couldn’t find a service that hosted videos without branding so he created his own. Desplode

From their FAQ page.
What is Desplode?

Desplode is simply a video hosting site that does not add content to your video. When your video ends we do not redirect viewers to other videos. We do not inject ads into your video.

Why would I use Desplode?

If you create walk-through and drone videos of your properties, most MLS systems allow you to embed a video into your listing. However, if you’re embedding your video with YouTube or Vimeo, there is a risk that you will get fined. Sure, you may have been doing this for years with no problem. But that’s just because no realtor or broker has reported the violation yet if they watched your video and then were given a link to your YouTube channel or links to other (potentially inappropriate) videos.

How do I use Desplode?

After uploading a video we’ll email you a link. From that link you can copy the “embed” code to be used in your MLS listing. You’re also welcome to embed or share the video to your own website or social media accounts from here.

How much does Desplode cost?

Today Desplode is free. Terry Peterson created Desplode simply because, being an avid fan of droning, he needed an MLS-compliant place to host videos to be embedded into his MLS listings. Using his real estate branded page, CHSagent.com, to host videos would be a direct violation of MLS rules. So he created this “3rd party” site for anyone to host videos.

You know that you can actually install a server on your own machine and host the files (edited or un-edited) for no cost right? Apache WebServer is a free download and there are numerous videos on Youtube instructing one on the proper setup process.

You can setup permissions and share the video / photos however you like and to whomever you like. Branded , Unbranded , with Fries , Without.

The only drawback is your current broadband upload speed and having that speed diminish as others outside of your network access those videos simultaneously. Your internet speed could diminish greatly during peak times of access. Might be worth a try to see if its "liveable" or contact your ISP and pay the extra for faster upload speeds. Bet is lots less than $1200 whopping dollars a year.

Wow! That Desplode site that Brett posted seems like the perfect solution. Be wary that once you upload those videos it may currently be no cost , but they can hold those videos ransom and start charging in the future.

I dont get thier (Desplodes) business model? Server space and bandwidth is not free.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore