DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video editing software

sammackay23

Reactions
Right guys needing some pointers here. Not a clue whats going on but my Premiere Pro will not open any videos. First I got an error saying no audio or video, now I'm getting unsupported or damaged file. Never had this issue before. Files are 4k 30fps. Any help appreciated.

Failing that, what you guys using? I'm on Windows.

that's weird, never got that from Premiere before.... are you able to share one of those files?

As a hobbyist I just use PoewrDirector 365, don't care about spending a lot of time tweaking videos. PD365 is able to open all of my videos for editing, this includes the ones using the H.265 codec as well.

As a hobbyist I just use PoewrDirector 365, don't care about spending a lot of time tweaking videos. PD365 is able to open all of my videos for editing, this includes the ones using the H.265 codec as well.
Thanks for that. That would do for me im sure too as I'm just a hobbyist, ill have a look at that ?

i’ve been a decades-long user of the adobe suite, both professionally and personally. as feature-rich as premiere pro is, i’ve found it to be very quirky, even on a robust windows 10 system.

there are, fortunately, some amazingly powerful alternatives, and very affordable. wondershare offers two: filmora9 and the more advanced filmora pro, both excellent (i’m using the latter). another strong entry is movavi, which has a somewhat easier-to-use interface...good if you’re new to editing, but an excellent choice nonetheless.

all are unbelievable bargains. ( i neither work for, nor receive any compensation from, these companies.) free trials, with tutorials, are available for each.

Last edited:
i’ve been a decades-long user of the adobe suite, both professionally and personally. as feature-rich as premiere pro is, i’ve found it to be very quirky, even on a robust windows 10 system.

there are, fortunately, some amazingly powerful alternatives, and very affordable. wondershare offers two: filmora9 and the more advanced filmora pro, both excellent (i’m using the latter). another strong entry is movavi, which has a somewhat easier-to-use interface...good if you’re new to editing, but an excellent choice nonetheless.

all are unbelievable bargains. ( i neither work for, nor receive any compensation from, these companies.) free trials, with tutorials, are available for each.
When I had only had my M2P for about 2 weeks, I was playing with ActiveTrack and doing some video recording. I landed the drone but then walked up to it and turned it off instead of stopping recording first and THEN turning it off. The video it was recording was corrupted, no surprise. But, I got 'Stellar Repair for Video', which fixed it. I was then able to load it into Resolve (see below) and color grade it. It was nice to recover that file, you might see if a video repair utility might be able to fix it. BTW this one isn't cheap and they're pretty impressed with themselves (you'll see when you get to the website), but it worked like a champ and now i have the tool. I had another corrupted video file from before, and it fixed that one too, so so far so good, but it'll set you back $50 or so.

On video editors, while its a fairly huge load of functionality, DaVinci Resolve 16 has a free version that does 98% of what most people need. Full version if $300, which I did spring for as I wanted to also fix lens distortion and there are a few other features I wanted to play with that require the paid version. I got up to speed on it pretty quickly for easy edits and color grading (where it excels); there are tons of tutorials on using it on YouTube, I watched quite a few hours to come up to speed). It may be massive overkill though depending on what you're looking to do. When I got the M2P, I did some reading, found out about D-Log and color grading, and went to the download site at DJI to get their Rec.709 LUT, and the documentation there used DaVinci Resolve for its Windows example to show how to use the LUT, so I pretty much stumbled upon it. To me, it appears to have everything I'll ever need, and isn't a monthly subscription (and just a few months of an Adobe subscription will pay for the full Resolve License). All that said, I hope to give it a shot beyond color grading when work eases up as I'm a relative newbie with video editing (I've done lots of photography and some astroimaging in the past, lots of video capture, but not much video editing).

I've heard a bit about DaVinci, was keen to know about it some more. If your saying it does 98% of what you need then that would be ample for me. I'd be cutting videos, putting a song in and maybe having g a go at colour grading although I've little experience in that.

DaVinci Resolve started as color grading software, and one (the?) standard for color grading in Hollywood. Over the last decade, they apparently got bought by Blackmagic, who then added in all the other video editing functionality. The latest version, 16, has a new tab called "Cut" which is designed for very fast video editing (they also have a tab called "Edit" with other video editing tools). It'll do things like take in a single video and split it into individual videos for each shot (as color grading requirements can change quite a bit from each shot due to lighting), if you use multiple cameras, it'll sync them all up with either industry standard timing doodads or via audio in each track. It lines everything up by timing so you can easily drop other clips in with the correct timing, etc. As I mentioned, I'm a newbie on video editing (well, I have about a month of experience), but this does everything I'll need for quite some time. It even has noise reduction, and other nice features. I used to use NEAT with Photoshop for photo and astroimaging noise reduction (with a lot of other techniques as well) but seeing some of the work online with professional video editors using Resolve, even noise elimination is built in. Very nice. And I'm still learning the tool, it's very deep.

It also has a bunch of LUTS to give video more of a professional cinema look to videos, but I haven't been as interested in checking those out as of yet, I'm still learning the basics. I DO have one video I worked on a bit primarily for contrast but a touch of color work that I'll post sometime soon. I did the 2nd week I had my Mavic 2 Pro, my friend convinced me to fly (high) over water as i was still a bit fearful of the drone dropping out of the sky. I circled a small island where the lighting became absolutely wonderful. I really lucked out, as you'll see when I post it (perhaps tonight). I also have a very nice precision landing at the end, good thing too as I was 2 feet from water, lol! I had the controller ready JUST in case, however, but as it landed precisely at home, I did trust this, perhaps a bit foolishly, lol.

So, audio is easily manipulated, AND they have an advanced 3D surround sound audio editor, but I don't use that (it's resource hungry). I DID grab the audio from my phone recording of my M2P video, and it was trivial to remove the empty audio track I had and replace it with the track from the video in the phone. I figured out how to do this myself in about 1 minute, so it's pretty easy.

Check out this announce video for Resolve 16, it shows how CUT can be used for doing very fast video editing...it blew me away as it was a far more complex scenario than I'd need (4 camera), but very cool:

This guy is great for color grading with Resolve, though some is pretty advanced. He's also pretty entertaining:

And the DaVinci tutorials are also great, this is what I got started with:

Since it's a free download, I highly recommend downloading it. If you check my posts (I think my first here), I have a couple of videos at the end of the thread that I thought were very useful for grading HLG as I'm hoping to play with HDR a bit with HLG, theoretically possible. However, the 2nd video of those two is the more practical, grading HLG video for normal Rec.709.

Last edited:
I used and liked HitFilm Express (free).
Now I have Davinci Resolve (also free).

Right guys needing some pointers here. Not a clue whats going on but my Premiere Pro will not open any videos. First I got an error saying no audio or video, now I'm getting unsupported or damaged file. Never had this issue before. Files are 4k 30fps. Any help appreciated.

1. Stop using Adobe products
2. Buy a Mac or IPad Pro
3. Use DaVinci Reslove or LumaFusio to edit.

You will be happier, your house will be cooler, and your videos will be awesome ?

DaVinci wouldn't work on my NEW pc (it would crash constantly) so I had to look elsewhere,.. found OpenShot and so far so good, been using it for months now. Not a lot of bells and whistle for FREE but it is FREE and open source

DaVinci wouldn't work on my NEW pc (it would crash constantly) so I had to look elsewhere,.. found OpenShot and so far so good, been using it for months now. Not a lot of bells and whistle for FREE but it is FREE and open source

I used OpenShot for a while. Don't remember why I switched.

So I'm getting started with Davinci Resolve now and I can already tell that this will be perfect for my needs. Few early questions tho. Most if not all my exported videos will be going to Facebook, occasionally Instagram and YouTube. I'm looking now for the best export settings for these platforms bearing in mind ill be shooting 4k30 unless anyone recommends any other resolution.

Help greatly appreciated.

I will offer my recommendation. I'm new to drones and new to video production. A short time ago I knew NOTHING. I purchased (Not leased) CyberLink PowerDirector 18 Ultimate after seeing three recommendations in two days. I feel that I made a good choice. The program appears to be full featured and pretty easy to use. The is also a boatload of tutorial videos on YouTube for PowerDirector. I could not be happier at this point. Please take a look at the second version of my first real project. You can see it here. Pardee 2 BTW, if you want a little more information about Pardee, read the textual information describing my original Pardee video.

Reactions: geneg
Came across a potential solution to my premiere pro not playing the game, the files I was trying to load in were shot in H.265 but I was able to import one at H.264. Anyone had this issue before?

I have had this happen a few times and it has nothing to do with the player. If you don't stop the recording before powering off the bird the file gets truncated and is unplayable. You can have the file repaired online but it will cost $20 or more. None of the other repair programs work so you have to pay. This is on the MPz or MP2 I don't have this issue with the MA. Best is to just get in the habit of stop recording before power down and you will save a lot of headaches.

Reactions: kmac76
So I'm getting started with Davinci Resolve now and I can already tell that this will be perfect for my needs. Few early questions tho. Most if not all my exported videos will be going to Facebook, occasionally Instagram and YouTube. I'm looking now for the best export settings for these platforms bearing in mind ill be shooting 4k30 unless anyone recommends any other resolution.

Help greatly appreciated.
In Resolve you can save custom presets for the different platforms such as Facebook. You should be able to find a tutorial on YouTube

Reactions: kmac76
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929