DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Feed choppy on Android -- normal?

Nospampls

Reactions
I'm evaluating a Samsung Tab S5e as a display for Fly. I like everything about it except the choppiness of the video feed from the MA2. My question -- is what you see in the linked video normal (for Android tablets)?

The top clip was taken with a reference iPad 7th Generation and looks pretty smooth.

The bottom clip was taken with the S5e using the same MA2, with Airplane mode on, caching off, no screen recording. Note the video lag for the coal train.

Both clips using HD transmission. "Smooth" transmission for the Android yields no improvement. I took video of each tablet using my phone so as not to influence the video feed by using a screen recorder.

Latest firmware on the MA2. Ver. 1.1.5 on Android Fly app. Android version 9.

I'm thinking that I've ruled out the drone as the culprit since it doesn't know which device is connected to the controller and the video looks fine on the iPad. It seems that environment (e.g. radio interference) is also ruled out. What I'm left with is concluding that the Fly app on the S5e is not properly using the Android screen driver.

I can play 4K 60fps H.265 videos right out of the drone on the S5e using an OTG cable and SD card reader and they play smoothly, so I think the device is more than capable enough since I believe the video feed is only 1080 30fps. (So far I have not succeeded in getting them to play on the iPad, which is another reason I prefer the Android.)

What I'm asking is: Do other Android users see the same lag as in my sample clip? Yes, I know the S5e is not on the official DJI approved list, and DJI favors Apple devices, so no need to tell me that. If you have smoother video on a 9 or 10 inch Android, which one are you using?

Thanks.

I use a Tab S5e and haven't experienced the kind of lag in your clip.

One possible factor is the USB-C cable you are using to connect to the tablet. Have you tried a different cable yet? I believe I purchased the one I've been using from Monoprice.

Also do you have the 64gb version or the 128gb of the S5e? I have the 128gb version which has 6gb of ram, whereas the 64gb version only has 4gb of ram, which might run the DJI app less smoothly.

Yes, I know the S5e is not on the official DJI approved list, and DJI favors Apple devices, so no need to tell me that.
DJI test very few devices and many of the best flying tablets have never been on DJI's sparse list.
Don't be fooled by the myth about DJI favouring Apple devices.
It's not true, no mater how many people repeat it.
What I'm asking is: Do other Android users see the same lag as in my sample clip?
If you have smoother video on a 9 or 10 inch Android, which one are you using?
I've had perfect performance from Huawei's M3 and M5 tablets for several years

Already two users are reporting good performance from the same device as you so it should work.
4 or 6 GB RAM shouldn't make any difference, 4GB is enough to run the app very well.
Trying a different cable wouldn't hurt and you can also check this list to see if the tablet might be configured better:

It was the 64GB Memory, 4GB RAM, 64bit Octa Core Processor version.

RAM could definitely be a contributing factor here then. I'd still suggest trying a different (better) USB cable if you can though.

If people could stop saying I'm using (insert device here) with DJI Go and it's fine that would be great.

The Mavic Air 2 does not use the DJI Go app so any experiences with it are useless here.

Sorry for trying to be helpful but I can only post my own experience with the tablet in question.

Reactions: bp328i
Sorry for trying to be helpful but I can only post my own experience with the tablet in question.
I understand what the intention was but it's two different apps. Just because one app runs perfect on the device does not mean the other will.

It can end up causing more confusion for someone that does't know the M2P and MA2 use different apps.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
My experience is that no android tablet gets a smooth FPV stream
Unless you've tested every Android tablet available, that means nothing.
There are plenty of Android users that know they are getting perfect smooth performance.

I understand what the intention was but it's two different apps. Just because one app runs perfect on the device does not mean the other will.
As long as the tablet has a 64 bit processor, it shouldn't make a difference.
The problem is that the Fly app won't work on 32 bit systems that can work with Go.

• Haha
Reactions: bp328i
As long as the tablet has a 64 bit processor, it shouldn't make a difference.
The problem is that the Fly app won't work on 32 bit systems that can work with Go.
Here we go again....

What part of DJI Go and DJI Fly are two DIFFERENT apps and as such won't run the same on the same device do you not understand?

That's like saying the Litchi app and the DJI Go app will run the same on the same device. But you believe whatever you want, I won't respond to a toll again.

Last edited:
I use a Tab S5e and haven't experienced the kind of lag in your clip.

One possible factor is the USB-C cable you are using to connect to the tablet. Have you tried a different cable yet? I believe I purchased the one I've been using from Monoprice.

Also do you have the 64gb version or the 128gb of the S5e? I have the 128gb version which has 6gb of ram, whereas the 64gb version only has 4gb of ram, which might run the DJI app less smoothly.
That's really interesting. I should have mentioned I did try a different cable -- for the clip I was using the original DJI cable (too short for tablet mount, the tablet was just lying beside the RC on the table). My longer cable of course doesn't help.

Yes, I'm using the 64GB version. It's hard to imagine 4 vs 6 GB of RAM would make a video performance difference, but maybe. I mentioned I'm "evaluating". 14 day return period, so maybe I try the 128GB version.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm encouraged. I really want the S5e to work -- I like it much better than the similar sized iPad for several reasons.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I've tested all the ones mentioned in this thread

Unless you've tested every Android tablet available, that means nothing.
There are plenty of Android users that know they are getting perfect smooth performance.

No, that's not normal. Should be really smooth. Perhaps you have too much other stuff running in the background?

No, that's not normal. Should be really smooth. Perhaps you have too much other stuff running in the background?
I'm glad to hear it's not "normal". Nothing running in the background -- I have no apps installed other than the bare minimum required to set up the device. I'm at a loss so far other than the suggestion to try the 128GB version of the S5e. Thanks.

That's definitely not normal for the S5e. I remember reading on this forum and others that S5e users had no problems with the Fly app like you're encountering.

To put it into perspective, I'm running a much lower spec'd Android tablet, the Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T290, with only a few minor tweaks runs fairly well with the Fly app.

You might want to start with the obvious first and do a clean reinstall of the app including a reboot.

That's definitely not normal for the S5e. I remember reading on this forum and others that S5e users had no problems with the Fly app like you're encountering.

To put it into perspective, I'm running a much lower spec'd Android tablet, the Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T290, with only a few minor tweaks runs fairly well with the Fly app.

You might want to start with the obvious first and do a clean reinstall of the app including a reboot.
I fiddled around force closing apps, notifications, etc. and eventually got it to be acceptable. By acceptable I mean I could see a slight hiccup or skip in the video feed every 2 or 3 seconds.

As I tried to reboot, and enable and disable apps to isolate the offending one I became frustrated -- things weren't repeatable. I got to the point where I could not get it out of the unacceptable state.

So I reset the S5e to factory and did the minimal setup, then installed Fly. It's back to "acceptable." Obviously I don't know whether it would have fixed it to just reinstall Fly. I'll cautiously add other apps. I'm still curious whether the 128GB model with 6GB of RAM would eliminate the hiccups, but this 64GB is acceptable for now.

Thanks to all for ideas, especially pointing to other background apps.

Update.

I've narrowed things down.

1. Factory reset the S5e
2. Do minimal setup, opting out of everything I can.
3. Install Fly app
4. Test drone video feed -- Acceptable (smooth except for a hiccup/stutter once every 2 or 3 seconds)
5. Restart the S5e
6. Test drone video feed -- Unacceptable again. Slowly moving cars and people walking are jerky as in my video posted.

Pretty frustrating. Still wondering if more RAM would help.
Update #2

I've narrowed things down further.

1. Factory reset the S5e
2. Install Fly
3. Test drone video feed -- acceptable.
4. Restart S5e
5. Test drone video feed -- unacceptable.
6. Uninstall and re-install Fly
7. Test drone video feed -- acceptable.
8. Restart S5e
9. Test drone video feed -- unacceptable again.

To summarize, Fly works fine after installation until I restart the tablet. From then on it fails.

It feels like some kind of incompatibility between Fly 1.1.5 and Android 9.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7