DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Feed Lag, choppy

stef0083

Reactions
Hi,

after 2 months of waiting for my second mini 2 after a crash via DJI Care (because postal service lost my replacement and DJI didn't believe me for weeks, so after long back and forth i threatened to sue and they sent another one right away - little additional info if someone is ever in the same situation ;)) I noticed that the video feed is quite laggy and choppy at times. For example when i start a top down shot and ascend in speed mode it takes seconds for the feed to update, the image freezes for a couple of seconds. Sometimes it happens also when i use the vertical gimbal wheel or in turns, even though there is no intereference and all my devices should be fine. I am flying with 1.4.2 and all the latest firmware. With the first one also had this occasionally but thought it was due to urban interference...but in the mountains with the drone altitude 80m and 200m distance line of sight? It makes shooting stuff not easy at times, especially at higher speeds. The recording is always fine though so it's not the sd card i suppose? Is that normal or is there some way to avoid this?

Thanks a lot in advance!

What are you using to run the app? Have you ever seen the CPU maxed out warning?
Myself using a mini 4 iPad have had occasions where the video lag goes through the roof.
Once when the low bat alarm sounded the lag was so bad that it was still playing 5 to 10 seconds after I had already landed the drone. Personally I think DJI buggered up the coding of the Fly app as they added more and more drones to it.
One other thing I have noticed was lag after shooting a picture. I learned that the Fly app downloads the image to the view device right after it is taken. There is a setting where this can be turned off. Since turning it off this lag is gone for me.

Reactions: hiflyer201
I use a Redmi note 6 and thinking of an upgrade anyway, so maybe it's the device. i didn't get any cpu warning though. i will try to turn off synchronization, thanks!

Reactions: hiflyer201
What are you using to run the app? Have you ever seen the CPU maxed out warning?
Myself using a mini 4 iPad have had occasions where the video lag goes through the roof.
Once when the low bat alarm sounded the lag was so bad that it was still playing 5 to 10 seconds after I had already landed the drone. Personally I think DJI buggered up the coding of the Fly app as they added more and more drones to it.
One other thing I have noticed was lag after shooting a picture. I learned that the Fly app downloads the image to the view device right after it is taken. There is a setting where this can be turned off. Since turning it off this lag is gone for me.
Where is that setting?

Hi,

after 2 months of waiting for my second mini 2 after a crash via DJI Care (because postal service lost my replacement and DJI didn't believe me for weeks, so after long back and forth i threatened to sue and they sent another one right away - little additional info if someone is ever in the same situation ;)) I noticed that the video feed is quite laggy and choppy at times. For example when i start a top down shot and ascend in speed mode it takes seconds for the feed to update, the image freezes for a couple of seconds. Sometimes it happens also when i use the vertical gimbal wheel or in turns, even though there is no intereference and all my devices should be fine. I am flying with 1.4.2 and all the latest firmware. With the first one also had this occasionally but thought it was due to urban interference...but in the mountains with the drone altitude 80m and 200m distance line of sight? It makes shooting stuff not easy at times, especially at higher speeds. The recording is always fine though so it's not the sd card i suppose? Is that normal or is there some way to avoid this?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Interesting you should post this today. I want to share my experience of yesterday, which might help.

Short preface: My sister-in-law donated her iPhone 6plus (I mistakenly thought it was a 6splus) and thought "Oh goody. I can dedicate this phone to my drones. Up until two months ago I had been successfully flying with a 6splus, but was given my stepdaughter's iPhone XR when she got a new 12.

My young grandson likes me to come over and fly my "copters" so that is that we set out to do yesterday. I launched my Mini 2 from the driveway as I stood in the shade of the garage with the drone moving up and away, in direct line of sight and up into the park a block away. I was surprised that within only few feet away I started to get video lag and as it flew further away, only a few hundred feet the lag became severe. I promptly landed it and changed phones.

I had previously noticed with my 6splus that I don't get the range that I do with my XR, but with the regular 6 plus the control and range is pathetic. It was previously my impression that the range and connectivity was mostly on the controller, particularly with Ocusync 2. Obviously the phone has as much or more to do with control and distance as the controller. JME

Reactions: stef0083
Interesting you should post this today. I want to share my experience of yesterday, which might help.

Short preface: My sister-in-law donated her iPhone 6plus (I mistakenly thought it was a 6splus) and thought "Oh goody. I can dedicate this phone to my drones. Up until two months ago I had been successfully flying with a 6splus, but was given my stepdaughter's iPhone XR when she got a new 12.

My young grandson likes me to come over and fly my "copters" so that is that we set out to do yesterday. I launched my Mini 2 from the driveway as I stood in the shade of the garage with the drone moving up and away, in direct line of sight and up into the park a block away. I was surprised that within only few feet away I started to get video lag and as it flew further away, only a few hundred feet the lag became severe. I promptly landed it and changed phones.

I had previously noticed with my 6splus that I don't get the range that I do with my XR, but with the regular 6 plus the control and range is pathetic. It was previously my impression that the range and connectivity was mostly on the controller, particularly with Ocusync 2. Obviously the phone has as much or more to do with control and distance as the controller. JME
That sounds plausible, I am getting a new phone pretty soon and hope for improvements.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada