DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Feed Lost While at Sea...

TeamGomez

Reactions
Been surfing threads to get smart on my new hobby and I tip my hat to the aircrew who take the time share a wealth of their technical expertise. It's clear these devices have well surpassed the technology of what I'll call Gen 1 consumer drones and learning how these operate is not unlike getting checked out in a glass panel aircraft.

So I cut the umbilical cord and journeyed out to sea in San Diego to get some eyes on the veritable plethora of juvenile Great White sharks that have decided to call a stretch of our beaches home. A woman got bit Friday and I thought I'd stop on my way home from Cars & Coffee to 'see what I could see' off the coast of Del Mar and ventured 'just to the limit of my visual acuity' while spending a good deal of time on the instruments in the process....until I lost my video feed...

So question #1 is how to diag to find direct cause of the loss of video signal. I got the flight file off my iPhone and unpacked it via the Phantom website and cannot find any data piece that appears out of place. I was about 1,500' away in direct line of sight with the drone off the coast in tripod mode (me on cliff at its 7 o'clock, drone out to sea in fwd motion) with nothing btwn us when the video dropped. Screen went black except for the small box showing relative position/heading. I was relieved to see that I still had control so I hit RTH and it came home. I stopped it a couple times to see if I could get the video back but the video was gone until I landed it and cycled power.

I put together my first production effort and admit I'm better flying than I am painting since I got dropped on my head as a kid so I have a ways to go before I'll profess literacy in videography. Here's my video link on a 6 min FCP effort.

A few questions for y'all:

1. Any switchology tricks to regain video feed while in flight?
2. How many folks add a strobe to their drone? Saw the link to a pretty dandy little strobe card to help with said 'visual acuity'.
3. Shot LOG 4k/30fps using inverse of 2x frame rate for shutter speed and had a Freewell ND/PL 64 filter installed. These 6 min 4k renderings on FCP are 20-25 GB (!). Does everybody have a stack of 2TB external drives or find rendering in lower resolution acceptable?
4. After cutting my teeth on near-BVR flight, I see I need to plan shots a bit better.
-Use 60 fps for slowing down in post for planned pan shots b/c Cinema flight mode rotation too fast for distant subjects.​
-Use a tracking mode for aquatic subjects.​
-Get a landing pad or clear the LA a bit more...​
5. What is descent to VPS range protocol for low overwater flight when launch point is well above VPS activation altitude?
-Land on (dry) 0' MSL spot to see how high the cliff is so you can judge how much altitude you can lose before the drone becomes a submersible.​
-Reset gimbal on horizon as you descend to VPS range and shoot for the '3 meters above water' direction from DJI.​
-Know how not to initiate emergency landing mode when flying below 3M!​
Sorry for the long list but couldn't find anything on video loss; I'll apologize up front if my search skills are more closely aligned with my gap in artistic flair. Thanks for the read and look forward to any questions, comments or smart remarks. I take 'em all!

Reactions: Crash Gibby
Very nice video, I enjoyed watching. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy safe and happy flying!

Reactions: TeamGomez
Fun watching the young dolphins at play. Great subject
Much agreement here. I spent a majority of my youth sitting on a surfboard at these beaches and only got to enjoy the 'horizontal' view. Getting to see them from above is quite a treat and, frankly, I could watch them all day long.

I hope some folks roll in here with some lessons learned wrt my comms above. I've seen some video of the 2S becoming a submersible and would like to avoid that if at all possible!

Regarding video feed, in the settings did you have HD or Smooth selected? If I'm planning for a little distance I select smooth as it'll be able to retain a video signal longer without as much lag.

Also uploading your data to airdata will help as it'll show signal quality and messages every step of the flight as well as being able to determine if it was only the feed lost or full on connection.

Regarding video feed, in the settings did you have HD or Smooth selected? If I'm planning for a little distance I select smooth as it'll be able to retain a video signal longer without as much lag.

Also uploading your data to airdata will help as it'll show signal quality and messages every step of the flight as well as being able to determine if it was only the feed lost or full on connection.
I was flying in smooth and have yet even selected HD...didn't think it would matter enough on an iPhone8 screen to sacrifice the data feed capability for clearer resolution. Am I correctly interpreting the modes?

Thanks for the airdata info. Dove into that and my signal strength shows 100% for the entirety of the flight though I couldn't find any explanation on what dB drop causes the colors to change. I lost video at pt H and RTH'd 'INS Direct'. Signal Score on next tab was also 100. I think I'll drop DJI a note to see what they say.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 4.50.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 4.50.34 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I was flying in smooth and have yet even selected HD...didn't think it would matter enough on an iPhone8 screen to sacrifice the data feed capability for clearer resolution. Am I correctly interpreting the modes?

Thanks for the airdata info. Will dive into that.
Depends, if the screen is capable of 1920x1080 then it can help on finer detail, but it's mainly more useful if you're the type that wants to run with the video cache saved to the phone.

But yea the smooth option does transmit video data at a lower resolution to allow for a smoother less stuttery feed especially when either going out further or dealing with signal disruptions from other sources.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580