DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video footage is choppy or glitchy

SGM

Reactions
Some help please,

I just finished filming an old watch tower and after downloading, noticed it was choppy or glitchy like it is "jumpy" and have not had this issue before. All settings are the same as before, no changes- +1-0-0, D-Cinelike, 100 ISO @ 30fps/shutter 1/60.
Shot in MP4 2.7K @30fps. final was 45000 kbps
Downloaded from sd card (Sandisk Extreme U3) to video software.
Rendered and exported to 1080p @ 60000 kbps in MP4 and MOV- but did not fix the video.

Tried everything to figure this out, came up with nothing and could use some input. Thanks

Hard to see on the video but you can see where the video catches.

I think it's sharpening the picture after few frames. Try +1 -1 -1. I'm new too so please ignore my advice if it's not helpful

Reactions: Ebonicus
I appreciate your input MavicDenver, I'll check it in the morning. We were all new at one time but new or not you at least you gave your thoughts on it and I appreciate it!

Try reformatting the SD card and/or using a different card. This appears to be a transcribing error when writing to/from the card.

Was your rendering FPS the same as when recorded.
It is easy to click the wrong preset.
Not sure why the bitrate at 1080 render was set higher than original, but don't suppose that would make it glitch.
However it's something else to test if you can repeat the issue.

Looking down like that is akin to panning and does give the encoding a workout as every element in the frame has detail and changes constantly.
We've all noticed how much better it performs in a static scene compared to moving [the camera] quickly

Thanks 4wd, the fps was the same but I pushed the bitrate up from 45 to 60 hoping to solve the issue. I agree on the camera angle, problem is I have used the shot many times before with no issue. This leaves the SD card so hopefully that's the answer.
Thanks again

Try reformatting the SD card and/or using a different card. This appears to be a transcribing error when writing to/from the card.
Thanks lisadoc, I've reformatted and will see if that corrects the issue. Thanks for the help

If the glitching is not present prior to 1080p conversion, start there, check compression and conversion settings..

Appreciate the input.
Issue was there from the beginning, on sd card and after download to computer and editing. Remained after rendering and export.
I have reformatted the sd card and will check it out as soon as I can get back out. Hopefully that will correct.
Thanks again for the input Ebonics

Hi SGM, I know this is quite old now, i hope you got it fixed. I recently brought a Mavic Air, and the footage was fine on the internal 8GB that comes with it. After getting a cheapy SD card, its doing the same as yours, i do believe this is an SD card issue. Hopefully you got it sorted :)

Maverik, I believe it was a combination of a couple of things, but yes in my case I ended up reformatting my sd card. The other issue was the gimbal but I haven't had an issue in a couple of weeks. I'll be flying the coast in the morning and will be looking out for the glitches. Other than what I believe all you can do is try correcting each issue you believe it could be.

I will say you need a sd extreme U3 10 which is fast enough to process the footage you're shooting.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: VortexSpin
Maverik, I believe it was a combination of a couple of things, but yes in my case I ended up reformatting my sd card. The other issue was the gimbal but I haven't had an issue in a couple of weeks. I'll be flying the coast in the morning and will be looking out for the glitches. Other than what I believe all you can do is try correcting each issue you believe it could be.

I will say you need a sd extreme U3 10 which is fast enough to process the footage you're shooting.
Hope this helps.

Hi,
Hope you solved your problem because I got exactly the same issue. So it is very important to tell us what you did.

Thank you in advanced

bsaeed, sorry for the delay in response.

What I found was a combination of all stated above. To explain:

1st you need a good sd card, I use extreme U310 that will handle the processing speed of the video especially if you are shooting in 3.7 or 4K.

2nd, I found the camera settings play a major role as mavicDenver stated; try shooting in 3.7k at 24fps and soften you're settings in sharpness, contrast and saturation to -1-1-1 or at least -0-0-0 (depending on what you are shooting, the challenge in the shot posted was -90 degrees down and my speed- the camera with its settings trying to keep up with processing everything going on. Sometimes shooting in tripod mode will help greatly.

3rd, ND filters will also help a great deal by bumping down your shutter speed and reduce the amount of light, helping to give you smooth, cinematic footage.

4th, make sure your settings for export are correct. I don't know what editor you are using but they all basically work under the same concepts (and this is where everyone has their own opinion). I shoot in 3.7K at 24 or 30fps (depending on what I am shooting) (24 gives you a more cinematic look) and export at 1080p with the same frame rate (24/30) as the original. bitrate is never lower than 30,000 and most time 60,000 (not that the end product will keep 60000 but seems to be the sweetspot.

I would also suggest trying Dlog for video and RAW for photos (if you have lightroom) but if you do use Dlog I would lower the S-C-S to -2-2-2. Just play with the setting to see what you like. Most of the time decinelike works the best unless you plan to spend a lot of time in post-processing. Keep all settings on MANUAL so the settings wont change on you as the picture and light changes while your shooting. I also use custom white balance.

Last, when you think everything is perfect, it WILL glitch! is it the RC reception? camera? your settings or speed??? who the heck knows?!?! so when you capture footage, don't limit it to a specific shot and timeframe- shoot every angle, different styles and longer footage, you can always cut and trim, and when a shot just "glitches" you will find another shot that is perfect (40 minutes of footage finishes at 3-7 minutes).

I don't mean to assume you know nothing about this but you asked. Check out Continental Drone Aerial Photography on facebook and check out the latest video on the JD Monument, at the end of the video as I pull back through the gates something happened and no matter what I did it seems choppy for about 2-3 seconds...who knows but hope this long winded answer helps you!

bsaeed, sorry for the delay in response.

What I found was a combination of all stated above. To explain:

1st you need a good sd card, I use extreme U310 that will handle the processing speed of the video especially if you are shooting in 3.7 or 4K.

2nd, I found the camera settings play a major role as mavicDenver stated; try shooting in 3.7k at 24fps and soften you're settings in sharpness, contrast and saturation to -1-1-1 or at least -0-0-0 (depending on what you are shooting, the challenge in the shot posted was -90 degrees down and my speed- the camera with its settings trying to keep up with processing everything going on. Sometimes shooting in tripod mode will help greatly.

3rd, ND filters will also help a great deal by bumping down your shutter speed and reduce the amount of light, helping to give you smooth, cinematic footage.

4th, make sure your settings for export are correct. I don't know what editor you are using but they all basically work under the same concepts (and this is where everyone has their own opinion). I shoot in 3.7K at 24 or 30fps (depending on what I am shooting) (24 gives you a more cinematic look) and export at 1080p with the same frame rate (24/30) as the original. bitrate is never lower than 30,000 and most time 60,000 (not that the end product will keep 60000 but seems to be the sweetspot.

I would also suggest trying Dlog for video and RAW for photos (if you have lightroom) but if you do use Dlog I would lower the S-C-S to -2-2-2. Just play with the setting to see what you like. Most of the time decinelike works the best unless you plan to spend a lot of time in post-processing. Keep all settings on MANUAL so the settings wont change on you as the picture and light changes while your shooting. I also use custom white balance.

Last, when you think everything is perfect, it WILL glitch! is it the RC reception? camera? your settings or speed??? who the heck knows?!?! so when you capture footage, don't limit it to a specific shot and timeframe- shoot every angle, different styles and longer footage, you can always cut and trim, and when a shot just "glitches" you will find another shot that is perfect (40 minutes of footage finishes at 3-7 minutes).

I don't mean to assume you know nothing about this but you asked. Check out Continental Drone Aerial Photography on facebook and check out the latest video on the JD Monument, at the end of the video as I pull back through the gates something happened and no matter what I did it seems choppy for about 2-3 seconds...who knows but hope this long winded answer helps you!

Thanks DanMan32, Wow thanks for the correction, yes 2.7k NOT 3.7!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S