DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Footage

Antaire

Reactions
I’ve seen a lot of the mini’s 2k footage which looks so so but this clip is amazing . Why does this look so good ?

Compared to

I’ve seen a lot of the mini’s 2k footage which looks so so but this clip is amazing . Why does this look so good ?

Compared to

Couple things going on here.

First its a mix of a good 4K camera and the Mini drone footage which the 4K footage can set the tone of your minds eye.

Second , its near perfect exposure something that you can change on the Mini in auto mode which most people do not do let alone lock it so it does not change.

Third the drone is flying at optimum levels of the day and slowly for a great cinematic presentation only using a few of the best seconds of the video clips.

Phantomrain.org
Elite gear for your mavic.
Coal

So his footage is upscaled ? In the clip he states it’s straight from the camera.

So his footage is upscaled ? In the clip he states it’s straight from the camera.

Yes it up-scaled but not color graded is what that means . You can identify this by seeing that you can watch 4K rather than just 2K which is the tell all.

Dont get to carried away with that its up-scaled, The overall footage he was taken was not meant to impress anyone as he had another intent and Cinematic video was not one of them.

One of the things you can learn from this video is dont shoot in the shadows , nothing good will come from it. ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Antaire
Yes it upscaled but not color graded is what that means . You can identify this by seeing that you can watch 4K rather than just 2K which is the tell all.

Dont get to carried away with that its upscaled, The overall footge is very poor, wrong ISO, wrong Exposure, Wrong time of Day , Wrong Speed , its just meant to be a lazy video, im good at those. lol

One of the things you can learn from this video is dont shoot in the shadows , nothing good will come from it. ...

Since you are such an 'expert' and like slapping other people down, why don't you show us some of your footage ???

Since you are such an 'expert' and like slapping other people down, why don't you show us some of your footage ???

No one is slapping anyone down, but people do get confused with the Intent of the videos posted. That video that he was comparing was not meant to impress on any cinematic level where the other one clearly was. Just trying to get that point across to the OP.

Reactions: Gorbachev

Here is in a big nutshell how YT works:

MM records 2.7k, the first video on YT is 4K, it had to be upscaled, anything you watch on YT is not straight from the camera, it is always processed by YT. (in first video the guy didn't adjust colors)

MM Video straight from the camera is 2.7k at 40mbit. YT plays way lower bitrate 20-25mbit for 4k (it recommends uploads 35-45mbit so it has a buffer to work with) YT plays 8mbit for 1080p and 4mbit for 720p (there are small variation based on frame rate and peaks might be a bit higher, those are average values)

the second video was downsampled to 720p (for no reason at 60 frames...) with a 4mbit rate that is 10 times lower quality from an original, guy who uploaded it does not care or know how to make it look good on YT.

If you would download the first video from YT in maximum resolution first would take 2.4GB and second only 310MB (I just checked with YT downloader)

In the first video, the guy knows how YT works and he edited the video and prepared to look best it can look on YT with minimal quality degradation. In second case footage got absolutely butchered. (we still do not know what codecs they were using in final render before YT upload))

In both cases, real straight out of camera footage looks better than what you see in those videos.

If you would watch original files on 4k TV you would be blown away in both cases, especially considering they were both produced with 400$ toys.

I will later upload a few original files straight from the drone, no sound no editing nothing just files and see how YT will process it, I'm sure it will cut bitrate by 50%

Reactions: Antaire
Here are few samples at 1080p straight out of the SD card, no editing or processing besides what YT does to the clip. If I would run this once through Final Cut pro and exported they would be already compressed and YT would compress it even further. There are tricks and codecs you can use to make sure YT will not process your video that dramatically.

Me by saying I didn't edit them, I'm not lying, but you are still not seeing "Original" footage at full bit rate taken by the drone.

92.4MB original, YT compressed it to 12.7MB

159.9MB original YT Compressed it to 23.4MB

Original 297.8MB YT compressed it to 44.1MB

Original 284.9MB YT compressed it to 40.9MB

It’s a mini. It’s a great shot. Get over it and take it for what it is.
Fing haters get a real job. I love my mini and it was exactly what I was looking for. I sold my M2Z for a MM

Compared to

I agree and I learned a lot from the replies on this so thank you to all the experienced pilots and videographers and Did you notice how much better the second part of the range test looked though when he put the light from behind as he was coming back? Lighting and setting are huge.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61