DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video format to use with Mini 2

Artemis

Reactions
Ok.. so I know there are thousands of threads discussing this but I wanted to be mini 2 specific and recommendations based on my planned usage.
1) not a professional, however I want to share Best reasonable quality.
2) I’ll probably have the ability to edit on my 4th gen iPad Pro using Apples iMovie or something, however i am more likely to just shoot short clips and then try to upload them to youtube for sharing
3) I would like mini2 specific on what you think looks best including artifacts, low light, 2.7 30 2.7 60 and 4k30
4) I do not have nd filters
5) I don’t have great internet, 30mbps and uploads can be as low as 5mbps , not familiar uploading such large files but would like to avoid many hours just to get the videos uploaded

that’s all I can think of, I don’t want to under Use my capability but if most are not going to be able to see the difference between 2.7 and 4K then I need to know I guess

I can see a huge difference from 1080 to 2K but not so much from 2K to 4K so 2K is the sweet spot for me.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the River

Reactions: db4476
I can see a huge difference from 1080 to 2K but not so much from 2K to 4K so 2K is the sweet spot for me.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the River
I was watching a comparison video on my iPad, set at 1440, the guy went up and down a tower at 1080, 2.7 30, 2.7 60 and 4k30….. to my eyes I thought 2.7 60 looked equivalent to 4K… but I’m not sure if that a fair test … depends on what device your using I guess…. But it did convince me that 2.7 should probably be what I shoot at….. they say 60fps only matters in fast or slow motion but the video was pretty static and I felt it looked better than the 30fps,

this was the video I was watching

Really makes a difference if your going to be grabbing frames, than you want the 60 or 120 , and we capture a lot of frames of Lightning and waves so it makes sense for us but if your not grabbing frames than your good .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Reactions: Artemis
Is there a huge difference in file size between 2.7/30 and 2.7/60? , I mean i guess Logic would be it’s twice as big

Just keep in mind, 90% of the viewers (maybe more) will be viewing your video in 1080, assuming you have typical audience watching on their phone or tablet for convenience. You have to ask yourself, is it worth it to have a higher resolution? Unless you're selling the video, there nothing wrong with using 1080. It's the content that's more important. With 1080 you'll enjoy faster upload times and more importantly, 4 times less space used on your computer's disk storage. That said, there are times when capturing in 4K can be handy, but you never know when those times will occur until it's too late.

Just keep in mind, 90% of the viewers (maybe more) will be viewing your video in 1080, assuming you have typical audience watching on their phone or tablet for convenience. You have to ask yourself, is it worth it to have a higher resolution? Unless you're selling the video, there nothing wrong with using 1080. It's the content that's more important. With 1080 you'll enjoy faster upload times and more importantly, 4 times less space used on your computer's disk storage. That said, there are times when capturing in 4K can be handy, but you never know when those times will occur until it's too late.
valid Point and it’s the reason I’m going through the thought process of what would be best, 2.7 seems like a good compromise …. It looks like 1080p gets transfered to my phone anyway so unless the footage is simple something that I really want to share in 2.7, I could just delete it off the card as I go…. I still don’t have a firm grip on how Dji transfers the files to the phone when your shooting in higher resolutions but saw the control panel to do that automatically

It looks like 1080p gets transfered to my phone anyway
Remember, that 1080 video on your phone is less quality than 1080 video from the SD card. The phone cache video is collected from the wireless connection to the RC, having less quality and showing any radio interference that occurs during the flight.

Remember, that 1080 video on your phone is less quality than 1080 video from the SD card. The phone cache video is collected from the wireless connection to the RC, having less quality and showing any radio interference that occurs during the flight.
Ok… so you might as well turn that off then unless you don’t care and want a quick and dirty way to share, does that apply to the jpg/raw photos also?

so you might as well turn that off then unless you don’t care and want a quick and dirty way to share
I leave the cache capture option on all the time, but limit the space it can occupy in the tablet, flushing oldest video when it overflows my prescribed limit. There are options in the app for various size limits. I find good utility in quickly seeing what was captured, but I would never use it for editing purposes to post online.

Really makes a difference if your going to be grabbing frames, than you want the 60 or 120 , and we capture a lot of frames of Lightning and waves so it makes sense for us but if your not grabbing frames than your good .

Phantomrain.org
I’ve got similar question - I’m in an Apple household. Should I be recording in MOV or MPEG? Some videos loaded on YT, many just for home.

I’ve got similar question - I’m in an Apple household. Should I be recording in MOV or MPEG? Some videos loaded on YT, many just for home.
If you have a Mac go with the MOV files and let the QuickTime handle your delivery speed and data.

Phantomrain.org

Shooting in 2.7 is a good idea. You may have cases where you want to reframe sections of the video and can crop the 2.7 down to 1040 without needing to change the resolution of the video. If shot in 1040 and you wanted to frame the video you would come out with clips are are smaller then 1040 and you'd have to magnify the video to bring back to 1040.

Also you can slow down 60fps and still look smooth. Slowing down 30fps not so good.

Just to clarify: MOV and MP4 are just file "container" formats, whereas MPEG is a set of video stream formats that can be used in either MOV or MP4 containers. The MPEG-4 specs include the two most common video formats used today: H.264 (AVC) and the newer and more efficient H.265 (HEVC). These days, most utilities can work with both MOV and MP4 container files (they're almost identical), but the key is to have the right codec (coder/decoder software) installed for the video streams they contain. If anything, MP4 is probably more common internationally because MOV was originally the container format used for the Apple QuickTime (QTFF) proprietary video format, and MPEG and MP4 are essentially just standardized, non-proprietary versions of QTFF. YouTube can handle either container, and also both H.264 and H.265 video streams, no problem.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR