DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video given as a gift........

Prmath

Reactions
After taking video clips of a home going up....... I gave it to the owner as a gift. Free......
Am I breaking any rules or regs by doing this?

After taking video clips of a home going up....... I gave it to the owner as a gift. Free
Was it given on behalf of a business you own or a business someone else owns? If not, then there's certainly no problem shooting video of a house for fun.

Was it given on behalf of a business you own or a business someone else owns? If not, then there's certainly no problem shooting video of a house for fun.
No, just for a church friend...... that’s all

LOL! Let me put it this way,
If you had handed him a beer, along with the video, no matter if money was involved or not, you have a better chance of being arrested for distributing alcohol without a liquor license than any trouble with the FAA.:D

No, just for a church friend...... that’s all
I'm similarly involved doing some video footage and still photos for a close friend. They are half way through a year long project at his church where they are building a glass atrium joining the church itself and the church hall buildings. He knew I was a keen photographer and that a drone was my latest gadget so he asked would I mind doing some pictures for him. I agreed but let him know that I couldn't accept payment for the photos. The idea is that once the work is complete he will have a presentation to show the members of the church showing the progress of the work from start to finish. The church stands on its own opposite a public car park (mostly used by the nearby college) which doesn't open until 8am so we go early on a Saturday morning, the builders' day off, and are able to get our footage when no one else is around. The only 'benefit' for me is I get to fly my drone and practice my video editing skills, such as they are. In the UK what I'm doing is within the rules, I'm not sure how much that applies where you live. We are somewhat fortunate to have a middle ground where not every flight has to be either recreational or commercial.

LOL! Let me put it this way,
If you had handed him a beer, along with the video, no matter if money was involved or not, you have a better chance of being arrested for distributing alcohol without a liquor license than any trouble with the FAA.:D
Beer!
I prefer SoJu!

After taking video clips of a home going up....... I gave it to the owner as a gift. Free......
Am I breaking any rules or regs by doing this?
As my understanding of the matter goes, it does NOT require Part 107 as long as there is no monetizing involved. You gave it in good faith not expecting $, and not expecting the receiver to gain $ as well.

But, here's food for thought . . . Get a part 107 and seek out construction companies to do business with. They could possibly use your videos or stills in publicity documents for prospective home buyers.

Another, is to provide still/videos of actual home construction to the home owner. Offer it up on an SD Micro. It could show where (later hidden by wallboard/flooring, etc) wiring, TV/cable, gas lines, water lines, etc are located. When my house went up in 1997, I latched onto a complete set of blueprints. That has proven invaluable over the years, especially when we had the basement finished into a den and updated the home internet system.

Just food for thought, that's all.

I'm similarly involved doing some video footage and still photos for a close friend. They are half way through a year long project at his church where they are building a glass atrium joining the church itself and the church hall buildings. He knew I was a keen photographer and that a drone was my latest gadget so he asked would I mind doing some pictures for him. I agreed but let him know that I couldn't accept payment for the photos. The idea is that once the work is complete he will have a presentation to show the members of the church showing the progress of the work from start to finish. The church stands on its own opposite a public car park (mostly used by the nearby college) which doesn't open until 8am so we go early on a Saturday morning, the builders' day off, and are able to get our footage when no one else is around. The only 'benefit' for me is I get to fly my drone and practice my video editing skills, such as they are. In the UK what I'm doing is within the rules, I'm not sure how much that applies where you live. We are somewhat fortunate to have a middle ground where not every flight has to be either recreational or commercial.

I think this it where it gets tricky (In the USA that is), even though you did not accpet money for taking the photos/videos, could the church possible benefit from it from a Monterey stand point through the investors, or loan officials, or board members, or people who belong to the church who see this and then choose to donate additional funds they would normally not have, this would be a commercial benefit for the church (not you), but on behalf of an organization (free use or not).

I am not saying that is the case in the USA but thats where it gets tricky with the commercial use thing its the grey areas

Reactions: The Fat Controller
I personally wouldn’t worry about it. I’m sure the FAA has better things to do than investigate friends sharing videos.

Reactions: The Fat Controller
I personally wouldn’t worry about it. I’m sure the FAA has better things to do than investigate friends sharing videos.
Exactly. With real crimes being committed using drones I doubt if some guy like me doing some photos for a pal is even on their radar. Put it this way, I'm not expecting the police at my door any time soon

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada