DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video help

JackBee

Reactions
My first drone and my first post here.
Mavic Air - iPhone 8 and I'm trying to watch iphone's screen capture on PC (Win10) using VLC.
Maybe the PC and VLC are the weak links.
I download phone screen capture files via USB to PC and all good except for rotation.
Same problem when I watch these captures in 'Photos' on the phone - the picture is 90 degrees wrong.
When I rotate the phone the picture rotates as well.
In VLC, the video dimensions are like a phone something like 6 inches high by 3 inches wide.
I can rotate this using video effects - geometry - rotate, but the picture rotates and the dimensions stay the same!.
I hope someone can understand this newbie issue and can help me solve it.

You probably aren't viewing the video recorded on the SD card.
Download to the PC, it's fiddly but the best way is pop card out and use a USB SD reader if your PC doesn't have slot.
In VLC hit (letter) o to toggle between fill screen and actual size.
If actual size 'looks like a phone' you are viewing 720p cache from the phone.

Thanks 4wd for your help. I may not have described my issue very well.
I'm trying to achieve what I've seen a dozen times on YouTube, which is a video from a flight with the screen capture from the phone on the bottom corner. I haven't tried overlay or PIP and sync yet but that's another issue.
I'm firstly trying to view phone screen capture correctly.
I start by using iPhone internal screen capture facility - image1
Then open DJI app - image2
Image3 shows that I need to rotate
I can do this in VLC - Tools - Effects and Filters - Video Effects - Geometry in image4
The Transform - Rotate by 90 degrees is greyed out - don't know why! but I can rotate manually (fiddly) below. Any idea why this is greyed out?
As can be seen in image5 the picture has rotated but the image dimensions are still the same causing a crop both sides.
I think I need to resolve this issue before I can insert and sync this capture footage with the flight video.
I'm sure there is an easier way to do all this but it may involve expensive video editing software.

Attachments

• 2018-04-30 (2).png
    2018-04-30 (2).png
    271 KB · Views: 19
  • 2018-04-30 (1).png
    2018-04-30 (1).png
    110.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 2018-04-30 (3).png
    2018-04-30 (3).png
    432.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 2018-04-30 (4).png
    2018-04-30 (4).png
    413.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 2018-04-30 (5).png
    2018-04-30 (5).png
    236.3 KB · Views: 21
Start the screen recording AFTER you have entered flight mode screen in the DJI app.

I can't believe it's this difficult. I'm sure people are doing this all day.
I tried you advice beachcombing, but I don't seem to be able to start the screen recording once I'm in the DJI app.
The instructions to load the iPhone 8 screen capture are to just slide finger from bottom to top but this doesn't work at all after I begin to record a flight.
Any more ideas?

I can't believe it's this difficult. I'm sure people are doing this all day.
I tried you advice beachcombing, but I don't seem to be able to start the screen recording once I'm in the DJI app.
The instructions to load the iPhone 8 screen capture are to just slide finger from bottom to top but this doesn't work at all after I begin to record a flight.
Any more ideas?
Why isn't it working?

Try these steps.
1. Make sure that the screen recording icon is in your Control Center on your iPhone.
2. Start the DJI Go 4 app and enter the flight screen. (Note that you can do this without your Mavic connected if you want to just test it out.)
3. Tap the Home button to go back to the Home screen. Make sure that your phone stays horizontal.
4. Swipe up for the Control Center. Press the icon to start the screen recording. Wait for the 1, 2, 3 countdown. The top bar on the iPhone screen will turn red.
5. Open the DJI Go 4 back up.
6. Fly your flight.
7. When you are done flying, press the Home button. Swipe up for the Control Center. Tap the screen recording icon to stop the recording.
8. Go to the Photos app to view the recording.

Thanks Buddy
I think I've got it now - it was the horizontal phone bit that did the trick.
Now I should be able to use VLC to overlay the screen capture on a flight video - with sync.
I can just try things out using VLC help and Google unless you know of a tutorial I can go straight to?
Cheers
Jack

Thanks again for your help with this but the procedure was a bit 'glitchy', not robust or hit and miss.
I did some more research and according to some forums I think the rotation issue may be an IOS issue.
I've solved it now with a nice easy iMovie rotate function I found below

Cheers
Jack

Thanks for the information! I am a new Mavic Air owner and have the feel of flying pretty good. However, I am using an iPhone 6S which works great. But when I connect the phone to my Windows PC or Linux PC I cannot get to the videos I edited in DJI GO 4 editor. I can only see my phone photos on the phone. What tool do you use to get to the storage area for DJI GO 4?
Any help is appreciated.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Esccueje