DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video jello effect in cold weather

HawkLegion

Reactions
So I just got my mavic about a week ago and I've been having a blast learning and playing with it. The video results have been great until yesterday...the temp has dropped below freezing and I've been getting a lot of jello effect in the videos. I'm assuming it's from the cold weather. The temp has been in the upper twenties (Fahrenheit). I posted an example below...

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

So I just got my mavic about a week ago and I've been having a blast learning and playing with it. The video results have been great until yesterday...the temp has dropped below freezing and I've been getting a lot of jello effect in the videos. I'm assuming it's from the cold weather. The temp has been in the upper twenties (Fahrenheit). I posted an example below...

What are your video settings?.

Is your gimbal seated propperly under the 3 tabs?

It seems to be fine, though I can't say with 100% confidence that I know what I'm looking for.
0875ca15102225beca19b98f7804500d.jpg
d2ba9588eb4ca3d426e760303ff8c6a6.jpg

Reactions: Eyeinthesky33

Same thing for me today, just out of the blue major jello!! Went in and re calibrated the gimbal and all was ok.

Although the colder temps might stiffen up the suspension system all the other DJI Phantoms have needed ND filters to negate "jello" effects. ND filters. In bright sunlight (snow on the ground and bright white clouds) jello effect (rolling shutter I believe is the proper term) is a problem. As soon as I ordered my Mavic I pre-ordered ND filters from PolarPro.

ND filters cut down on the light forcing a slower shutter speed.

Your video looks like classic rolling shutter (jello) due to too fast a shutter speed from bright lighting conditions.

A good deal of explanation is here: Calling all Video Pros: Rolling Shutter (jello) not caused by props

This was even true of the GoPro's on the early Phantom 2's with DJI gimbals.... ND filters cured 99% of all jello problems.

Out of balance props can cause it too, but only in extreme cases.

Reactions: Dmbrody
I have had intermittent jello problems.

It only seems to occur in colder conditions, or particularly when I initially use the Mavic straight from the warmth of the car. For example, when I flew yesterday in cold weather (1-2C) for the first 10-15 mins, lots of jello.......for the final 10 mins none at all.

But when I have been out hiking and in sub zero temperatures, and the Mavic has been in my backpack in the cold for a while it operated flawlessly with no jello !!

But not a big enough sample of flights yet to confirm this theory.

I have been getting the same thing.. I flew in about 26 F 4K 30 FPS. I cant say i know a ton on cameras but its surprising that the cold is doing this to the video. Should i stop thinking about sending it to DJI?

Check for small condensation build up that freezes in the tiny cracks of the gimbal build, this can destable the gimbal it has happened on phantom

I have been getting the same thing.. I flew in about 26 F 4K 30 FPS. I cant say i know a ton on cameras but its surprising that the cold is doing this to the video. Should i stop thinking about sending it to DJI?

I'll probably be sending mine in for repairs. I can tell you that I flew mine with the little plastic dome cover and it basically took away all the jello effect. Obviously that's not a suitable solution long term but that's what I'm doing for now until I contact DJI about getting this fixed.

Reactions: Mavicpilot22
I'll probably be sending mine in for repairs. I can tell you that I flew mine with the little plastic dome cover and it basically took away all the jello effect. Obviously that's not a suitable solution long term but that's what I'm doing for now until I contact DJI about getting this fixed.

Ok, I guess thats the same boat i am on. Please keep us updated on this if you hear any other information about what it could be. As will i.

I too have noticed jello in colder weather flying... I also think high winds and colder weather make it even worse. I was flying yesterday by the ocean in New Jersey. It was cold and windy and most of my video has jello. Can't decide if I should send it back or just deal with it. I don't really understand why it would only happen on some mavics and not others, since I see some people saying that their mavic flies just fine in colder weather.

I see some people saying that their mavic flies just fine in colder weather.

At least one person has theorized that it's not the temperature, but the acclimation - if you try to fly in cold air with a car-warmed gimbal, it is bad news. Cold gimbal in cold air, or warm gimbal in warm air, it's okay. Whether it's condensation in the motors, or a thermal material properties issue, I don't know. Many cameras with physical shutters have similar issues.

Let the Mavic sit out in the air for a bit and try a short flight.

I just got my Mavic Pro yesterday and have the exact same issue!! So frustrating. Have you found any solution?
I feel like I have tried everything.

I have done all these things at least 5x times:
- Calibrated the IMU
- Calibrated the Gimbal
- Calibrated the Compass

Filmed in 4k, 2k, and 1080 at every frame rate possible. Still, have the issue.

The Jello does go away once I put on the Clear Lens Hood protector thing-- any ideas as to why that would make it stop the jello effect?

Thanks
- Matt

I just got my Mavic Pro yesterday and have the exact same issue!! So frustrating. Have you found any solution?
I feel like I have tried everything.

I have done all these things at least 5x times:
- Calibrated the IMU
- Calibrated the Gimbal
- Calibrated the Compass

Filmed in 4k, 2k, and 1080 at every frame rate possible. Still, have the issue.

The Jello does go away once I put on the Clear Lens Hood protector thing-- any ideas as to why that would make it stop the jello effect?

Thanks
- Matt
I have been activity trying to figure solutions out for about a week and a half now. came up with nothing sadly.. As far as why it helps with the lens on, my thought is that the bubble holds some of the warmer air from inside the Mavic. (there is a vent right behind the camera)

Its a very frustrating, im still thinking about sending it in honestly. It confuses me that some people seem to have a fine time in the cold.

My advice, talk to anyone you see posting videos in the cold and question them a bit to try and figure if its serious enough to send in. Also keep things you find out posted here to help others!

I'm also lost as to why this is only being reported by some Mavics and not all... Regarding the dome and why that prevents it, it may be a temp thing, but it may also be a light thing... meaning that Jello is reduced by an ND filter because it blocks out light. Perhaps the dome has the same effect. It blocks out enough light to slow the shutter speed down to reduce or elimiate the jello effect.

I'm also lost as to why this is only being reported by some Mavics and not all... Regarding the dome and why that prevents it, it may be a temp thing, but it may also be a light thing... meaning that Jello is reduced by an ND filter because it blocks out light. Perhaps the dome has the same effect. It blocks out enough light to slow the shutter speed down to reduce or elimiate the jello effect.
I have been told it could be a light issue as well. My filters are still coming in the mall so i haven't gotten a chance to try them out.

What i did get a chance to do is acclimate the Mavic before i went and flew. Yesterday i put it outside about 15 min. before i went to fly... IT WORKED! I had no jello effect, and the wind was very strong. I did also change the res to 2K so that could changed something to.

Like you said in your post, it still is very strange its not everyone. Makes me still think we might have some sort of defect in our camera...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+