DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Jitter on Mavic 3

ClearPropMedia

Reactions
Hey everyone,

Wondered if you can offer suggestions to avoid video jitter in my drone shots. I film using ND filters, 5K 50FPS with the exposure showing as perfect. Frame rate of 1/100 to stick to the 180 rule. Noticed in my shots that there is a decent amount of jitter in the video. Should the frame rate be double for a 50FPS video?

Jitter also seems noticeable in the corners of the frame on videos where the drone is flying straight. I am using H265 codec in Normal mode. Using a 2020 MacBook Pro, Intel i7 with 32GB of ram. Any thoughts or suggestions for smooth video would be great! Can’t seem to get those smooth videos we see on YouTube.

Thanks so much!

Is this when you play it back at home? Or you notice when flying? Might need to upload some footage to YouTube and see if it's still visible and post here. Even my well specced desktop sometimes stutters with 4K. I have no idea how smooth playback is going to be with 5k.

Reactions: zeusfl
Is this when you play it back at home? Or you notice when flying? Might need to upload some footage to YouTube and see if it's still visible and post here. Even my well specced desktop sometimes stutters with 4K. I have no idea how smooth playback is going to be with 5k.

Thanks! Yeah, playing back at home. I’ll post up some footage on drop box later in raw form. :)

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Hey everyone,

Wondered if you can offer suggestions to avoid video jitter in my drone shots. I film using ND filters, 5K 50FPS with the exposure showing as perfect. Frame rate of 1/100 to stick to the 180 rule. Noticed in my shots that there is a decent amount of jitter in the video. Should the frame rate be double for a 50FPS video?

Jitter also seems noticeable in the corners of the frame on videos where the drone is flying straight. I am using H265 codec in Normal mode. Using a 2020 MacBook Pro, Intel i7 with 32GB of ram. Any thoughts or suggestions for smooth video would be great! Can’t seem to get those smooth videos we see on YouTube.

Thanks so much!
When I play my exported video from Davinci or Premiere Pro in H.265 the video looks jerky even having an high-end computer and video card, but when you upload the video in YouTube and wait until is fully processed (take like 24 hours) the result is right. Do the test and let us know.

Here an example.

Reactions: JoelP
Is the camera on auto? Kind of feels like it's changing the aperture to keep the same exposure. I could be completely wrong though.

When I play my exported video from Davinci or Premiere Pro in H.265 the video looks jerky even having an high-end computer and video card, but when you upload the video in YouTube and wait until is fully processed (take like 24 hours) the result is right. Do the test and let us know.

Here an example.
Depends what you consider high end? Like nvidia 3090 or amd 6900 high end?

Nope! The aperture was wide open. 5k 50 FPS at 1/100 on Manual mode with ISO 100 and an ND16 on the camera.
I will have to have a look on the desktop later. I feel like I can see something going on, but might be observer bias.

Depends what you consider high end? Like nvidia 3090 or amd 6900 high end?
Not that high end but:

AMD Ryzen 9 5959X
Asus Nvidia RTX 3070 RUF
128GB 3466 FURY
1TB Samsung 980 PRO nvme
2TB Samsung 970 nvme
Asus Hero ROG Motherboard
Intel AX210 WiFi 6E
EVGA 1200W Power Supply
Corsair H150i CPU cooling system

H265 is very difficult for even the best PCs without hardware decoding capability. If YT videos are fine, you can make your PC behave by transcoding your footage to a less demanding CODEC. For DJI footage that is to be seriously edited, I transcode to ProRes 444 HQ. That plays fine but takes up lots more file disc space.

Output can be whatever you want - H264,H265 etc. YouTube will accept all, and will always transcode it with it's own proprietary mix.

I could not see any jittering of course my eyes have been giving me problems I just seen an eye doctor yesterday but I think it looks beautiful and you took some really nice smooth video especially over the water and the train tracks maybe other people with better vision can see the jitter especially on a bigger screen I’ve had that problem in the past I have three DJI drones, always shoot and 30 frames per second pretty standard of course I’m not one of these guys in here that are very knowledged have you tried shooting into h264 and 30 frames per second but no matter to me your footage looked just beautiful very nice sorry I couldn’t help much but there’s guys in here that can

Reactions: zeusfl
I could not see any jittering of course my eyes have been giving me problems I just seen an eye doctor yesterday but I think it looks beautiful and you took some really nice smooth video especially over the water and the train tracks maybe other people with better vision can see the jitter especially on a bigger screen I’ve had that problem in the past I have three DJI drones, always shoot and 30 frames per second pretty standard of course I’m not one of these guys in here that are very knowledged have you tried shooting into h264 and 30 frames per second but no matter to me your footage looked just beautiful very nice sorry I couldn’t help much but there’s guys in here that can
That wasn’t my footage. I included raw files of my footage from Dropbox which was straight from the camera! The YouTube video was from another forum member, and it is beautiful.

Since you are in LA USA, why are you shooting at 1/100 sec and 50 fps? You should be at 1/120 sec and 60 fps. If you are viewing on your TV it has to adjust the frame rate (add 10 duplicate frames) which may be the cause of your problem.

Since you are in LA USA, why are you shooting at 1/100 sec and 50 fps? You should be at 1/120 sec and 60 fps. If you are viewing on your TV it has to adjust the frame rate (add 10 duplicate frames) which may be the cause of your problem.
The M3 records at a maximum of 5K 50FPS. 60 FPS is not supported. Perhaps 5K 30FPS with 1/60 is the better choice?

Is your monitor running at a multiple of 50Hz? If not there will of course be stuttering.

I'm having the same issue with Filmora X. The footage is great straight from the Mavic 3, but tried all kinds of different options after editing, and they all come out with a horrible flickering once exported. Thinking of trying a different Editor. But don't want to pay a fortune.
Davinci won't run on my PC due to the way it is partitioned.
Is Lumafusion any good? Others?

I'm having the same issue with Filmora X. The footage is great straight from the Mavic 3, but tried all kinds of different options after editing, and they all come out with a horrible flickering once exported. Thinking of trying a different Editor. But don't want to pay a fortune.
Davinci won't run on my PC due to the way it is partitioned.
Is Lumafusion any good? Others?
What do you mean in the way is partitioned ?

What do you mean in the way is partitioned ?
The windows operating system isn't installed on the first partition of the hard drive. That's reserved for system info. There's a second partition, which refuses to enlarge whatever I try, so the operating system ended up getting installed on Partition 3.
I've been trying to re-install Davinci for over a year now, and it just bombs out on start up. I read somewhere it will only run if the operating system is installed on Partition 1. After trying every other workaround in the book, I'm guessing this is the only reason it won't run.
That's why I switched to Filmora. That worked great with Mavic 2 Air footage.
But won't play ball with Mavic 3 rendering :-(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929