DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video lagging

JonnyBenson

Reactions
Hi.

I've not been here for a while as i haven't flown for at least 6 months after getting disheartened with my Air.

I'm currently on holiday with it and I'm still getting the same problems.

I can fly okay but I'm getting some kind of lag on the screen with i can only assume is some sort of connection issue. When I'm flying it happens probably every few seconds. And when i play the footage back i see it has recorded said issues.

Could it be simply because I'm not using an iphone?

Thanks

when i play the footage back i see it has recorded said issues
Are you watching the cached video from your mobile device or the video files from the memory card in your drone?

I can fly okay but I'm getting some kind of lag on the screen with i can only assume is some sort of connection issue. When I'm flying it happens probably every few seconds. And when i play the footage back i see it has recorded said issues.

I've found that an underpowered device can cause lags/jumpiness in the display. I've run DJI GO 4 on several different Apple devices; current iPad and iPhone 8 are fine, but iPhone 6 and iPad Mini 2 couldn't handle it. Pop up messages about CPU loading are a hint that this may be your problem.

Of course, it's possible that it's caused by weak signal. If it's OK at close range, but lags when it's far away, that suggests that it may be a signal level issue.

If the lags are in the video recorded on the drone, then you can rule out the weak signal; if it's only on the video on your device, then it's more likely a device and/or link issue.

Do you see the lagging issues if you are NOT recording video? I wonder if a slow SD card could be the issue. Try using a different SD card.

I thought msinger was on the money with his reply.

The Air and wifi can cause this on the viewing device, but normally records ok . . . my experience watching my BIL fly his.

Even my MP can do a glitch sometimes on the ipad when flying, but when playing back the downloaded msd file, it is smooth.

I had a MA for a number of months, hardly ever lagged or interface warnings up to 500m away, after a hard crash it was replaced via an insurance claim. The brand new MA was absolutely terrible for lag and interference warning even 10 m away, I complained and sent my drone back, an other new drone was returned to me with no issues as per the original MA.

That is one of the reasons that you can rule out. A lot of people, myself included, use android devices with no issue at all. As for the likely reason for what you are experiencing, it could be any one or more of the following:
1. Your phone/tablet is under powered and is struggling to run the GO4 app (disabling catching while recording and putting the phone/tablet in Airplane mode might help resolve the problem)
2. Bad location/interference: if the area you are flying has features (trees, buildings, etc) that block or interfere with (other wifi netwroks in a residence area) the signal between your remote and the AC, you will experience lags and choppy video on the live feed to the mobile screen.
3. You are not orienting the antennas on the remote controller towards the AC correctly (read the manual or do a quick search on the topic to learn about this)

One more thing, it is better to give as much information on what device you are suing and where and how you are experiencing issues when seeking help.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest