DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video of hawk attack on my Mavic 3

Heavydpj

Premium Pilot
Reactions
So I'm in Papua New Guinea, getting some video. I decide to zip along the coast of the island just to look around. As I'm flying, I see a haw fly through my camera VERY closely. Knowing what was coming next, I flee back home at low altitude hoping to avoid the inevitable attack.

No such luck.
A few second later ... BOOM! The craft shudders, the camera points upwards a bit, and the hawk's shadow appears in the camera frame, and the camera yaws left, then right. Thankfully, damage was minimal (slight damage to a right rear prop blade leading edge).

Hint for future encounters: Climb, climb, climb, then run. They cannot climb anywhere near as well as they can dive.

So I'm in Papua New Guinea, getting some video. I decide to zip along the coast of the island just to look around. As I'm flying, I see a haw fly through my camera VERY closely. Knowing what was coming next, I flee back home at low altitude hoping to avoid the inevitable attack.

No such luck.
A few second later ... BOOM! The craft shudders, the camera points upwards a bit, and the hawk's shadow appears in the camera frame, and the camera yaws left, then right. Thankfully, damage was minimal (slight damage to a right rear prop blade leading edge).

I know the feeling

Attachments

• wow.png
    wow.png
    383.2 KB · Views: 45
A few second later ... BOOM! The craft shudders,

Whoa, you did get lucky there for sure.
I’ve never had more than curious hawks when encountered, this one might have had young nearby.

Edit - what part of the coast ?

Hint for future encounters: Climb, climb, climb, then run. They cannot climb anywhere near as well as they can dive.

Indeed this works great.
I escaped a Peregrine Falcon like this a few years ago, my final vision of it was with gimbal straight down as I ascended in sports mode, and the bird circling trying to climb up to me.
As fast as it could buzz me at the lower altitude it had no chance catching me ascending then turning for home.

Dayam... it chased you! And fast.

As someone else mentioned, it probably had a nest with babies near by. I just can't imagine why else it would follow you at that speed that far.

But then, I'm no ornithologist, so what do I know? 😁

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS