DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video of Walker Lake, Nevada

Critiquing someone’s work can be challenging and it takes practice. Before I take my time to provide feedback, I will ask the person who submitted a video to first do their own critique and share some background as to why submit this video, what did you like/dislike, and what would you do differently?

I look for a video that is engaging on a number of levels.

I look for a video that is engaging on a number of levels.
I've been an exhibiting photographer for 50 years.* When deciding to share an image/video we should be our own worst critic. The Video/Image should be concise and have a point of interest. Think of friends and relatives upon returning from a vacation, they share 100 of their favorite videos/photos. Snooze time for viewers.

I was on the Oregon Coast 6 weeks ago. Between camera and Mavic 2 Pro I had over 500 shutter clicks. Of those, there are only 5 images I felt were strong enough to share.

* MartyMarkoePhotography Web Site

“Of those, there are only 5 images I felt were strong enough to share.“

Exactly! Same experience.

“Of those, there are only 5 images I felt were strong enough to share.“

Exactly! Same experience.
It's great so many people are excited about flying drones and recording Video and Photos. This conversation is not meant as a personal attack. It is meant as a way to help people share their strongest and best in order to keep viewers interested. There is one guy on the list who is an excellent pilot and prolific videographer. I rarely watch his videos as they are long and repetitious, though occasionally, within these there is a gem.

Seems you may miss a lot of things ... oh well .... good luck droning
Flying a drone is a skill, not a matter of luck.

Instead of offering a snarky response, tell us what you got out of it? By this I mean, what did you learn or what emotion did the video evoke for you?

Marty Markoe
Part 107 Certified

I understand, but when someone says, I am missing the point, to comment on your video, I think that makes no sense. I didn't have a point, I was showing where I flew and thought us was pretty neat video out in the middle of a desert. Was driving my semi by this lake and thought it would be neat to stop and fly. No point to be made. Never heard any say, what is the point, of a video before. Kinda of weird statement.
We are attempting to provide you some valuable feedback. It is not personal!

I understand, but when someone says, I am missing the point, to comment on your video, I think that makes no sense. I didn't have a point, I was showing where I flew and thought us was pretty neat video out in the middle of a desert. Was driving my semi by this lake and thought it would be neat to stop and fly. No point to be made. Never heard any say, what is the point, of a video before. Kinda of weird statement.
It sounds like the video was therapeutic for you from a flying/video standpoint. The question to ask is, will people you share a video like this with get something out of it? For example, learn an aviating technique or get an emotional reaction or connection to the scene depicted.

My mistake was not clarifying the critique was not a personal attack at you. What should have been said was many images and videos posted are way too long, repetitive or lacking an emotion grabbing viewpoint.

You wrote, "have a lot of comments on how awesome it was." Yes we see comment after comment with one word descriptions like, beautiful, stunning, amazing, phenomenal, sensational, spectacular, etc. These are feel good messages to the image/video submitter, but are they helpful to the poster and other viewers in terms of artistic and or growth as a drone pilot?

I think that with any camera, videography and photography are a two piece thing. Capturing the video and images followed by post processing and editing. Raw footage of anything, GoPro, camcorders or drones, can be rather unexciting. But with a little time invested in some editing it can be made to be more enjoyable. I think the flyer that posted this post has part one down pat. Very beautiful footage that I’d love to see more of. And I recommend YouTube University for some editing ideas. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: Jet skier
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000