DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Posting Laws?

TheSnowyPilot

Reactions
Hello there fellow pilots,

Could someone please enlighten me on what I could, or could not post on a social media site without a commercial license drone wise?

At the time of filming the footage over a year ago, when I was unaware of a few of the restrictions to flying and was flying without Operator or Flier ID’s I captured the footage, and have since become fully legal. The drone I was using was the HolyStone ‘HS165’, which I believe is just over a hundred and seventy grams - Insanely sturdy considering it survived a bee attack and a thirty to forty foot drop out of a tree.

Anyway, more to the point, I have been told my bee attack footage compilation would be a good thing to post on a platform such as Instagram. Legally speaking if I were to want to make an account and do that, am I allowed?

Did they cut your video ? And yes you could post it in videos here.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
I was going to reply earlier, but seeing you were UK thought others might better advise you.

My initial thought was yes you should be ok to upload it to social media, without cause for worry about your legality as a pilot at the time, or about any commercial aspects.

It's usually the intent at the time of the flight that matters, not when you post it later if such a circumstance arose.

Maybe (I'm almost sure) @old man mavic would know this, or some of the other UK pilots.

Also, it takes a LOT of views (over a million) for videos on YouTube etc to become worth monetising.
YouTube is the only social media I do (beside a couple of these pilots forums), and certainly just to have a place to put videos to share now and then.
Not even sure how Instagram works, if it can be monetised or not.
Probably.

If you are worried about the CAA, being LEGAL as a pilot back more than a year ago, don't be too concerned.
The chances of anyone at CAA taking even the slightest interest in such a video would be infinitesimal.

You'd have more chance of attracting the ire of PITA (aka PETA) about the 'mindless slaughter' of thousands of bees !! ?

PS. once you post to YouTube or Vimeo, you can just copy / paste the link to the video url here, and it is playable in your post.
I'm sure many here would be interested in seeing the footage.

Did they cut your video ? And yes you could post it in videos here.
How so? You mean the person who said I should post I assume?

I was going to reply earlier, but seeing you were UK thought others might better advise you.

My initial thought was yes you should be ok to upload it to social media, without cause for worry about your legality as a pilot at the time, or about any commercial aspects.

It's usually the intent at the time of the flight that matters, not when you post it later if such a circumstance arose.

Maybe (I'm almost sure) @old man mavic would know this, or some of the other UK pilots.

Also, it takes a LOT of views (over a million) for videos on YouTube etc to become worth monetising.
YouTube is the only social media I do (beside a couple of these pilots forums), and certainly just to have a place to put videos to share now and then.
Not even sure how Instagram works, if it can be monetised or not.
Probably.

If you are worried about the CAA, being LEGAL as a pilot back more than a year ago, don't be too concerned.
The chances of anyone at CAA taking even the slightest interest in such a video would be infinitesimal.

You'd have more chance of attracting the ire of PITA (aka PETA) about the 'mindless slaughter' of thousands of bees !! ?

PS. once you post to YouTube or Vimeo, you can just copy / paste the link to the video url here, and it is playable in your post.
I'm sure many here would be interested in seeing the footage.

I think the IRE is probably a whole lot better than what I initially read that as… I still feel relatively bad for the bees, since both times I cleaned my drone afterwards it came off bright red and covered in some kind of venom substance - I assume that was what it was anyway.

Do you happen to know, am I allowed to watermark my work if I do post it anywhere, to prevent copying without giving credit or such?
I should have attached the type of thing I mean by this somewhere here.

Attachments

• 3F79F2C6-57F1-4F08-A586-070126952BE6.jpeg
    3F79F2C6-57F1-4F08-A586-070126952BE6.jpeg
    449.6 KB · Views: 54
@TheSnowyPilot under the new rules you can now post vids and pics on the internet without having to have a commercial licence ,,you are still subject to the privacy laws for posting such material,and depending on the location of the flight ,when you put stuff out into the public domain, then you will have to be prepared for whatever comments come your way ,whether positive or negative ones,

I think you might get some flack for flying in a way to disturb animals and wildlife - If you were splattering someone's honey bees you may also be liable for damage to their business so perhaps think carefully about both what you are posting and where you are flying.
As to the yellow stuff - that would be venom from the bees and bees react to the pheromone in venom and attack where other bees have used their sting - it is nature. As a beekeeper I feel it wouldn't be the bees I would be worried about

Last edited:
@TheSnowyPilot under the new rules you can now post vids and pics on the internet without having to have a commercial licence ,,you are still subject to the privacy laws for posting such material,and depending on the location of the flight ,when you put stuff out into the public domain, then you will have to be prepared for whatever comments come your way ,whether positive or negative ones,
How close would I have to be to a house for privacy laws to come in?

I think you might get some flack for flying in a way to disturb animals and wildlife - If you were splattering someone's honey bees you may also be liable for damage to their business so perhaps think carefully about both what you are posting and where you are flying.
I was flying on an abandoned public golf course. I was attacked in two different places on two different occasions and still have no idea where the nest was, so disturbing the bees was definitely not intentional.

How close would I have to be to a house for privacy laws to come in?

I was flying on an abandoned public golf course. I was attacked in two different places on two different occasions and still have no idea where the nest was, so disturbing the bees was definitely not intentional.
That's the bees natural reaction to the pheromone of the bee sting they will attack anything where other bees have stung or been squashed

That's the bees natural reaction to the pheromone of the bee sting they will attack anything where other bees have stung or been squashed
Even after wiping the drone thoroughly?

Wow, as an animal management student I was completely unaware of that. You learn something new everyday.

Do you happen to know, am I allowed to watermark my work if I do post it anywhere, to prevent copying without giving credit or such?

Of course you can.
I wouldn't do it like the photo right over the bulk of the screen, reduced and place one corner would suffice.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Due to currently not wanting to post this on any platform before I know one hundred per cent where I stand and how I feel about this, the Google Drive link should be attached below - Anyone with the link can see.

Please excuse the quality, this was recorded before I realised quite how much I enjoyed flying and upgraded to DJI.

Don’t think those bee’s cared for ya ?‍♂️

I didn’t know bees went that high. I learned something today. Also, I think I would have landed the drone a little further away ?. Did you get stung?

• Haha
Reactions: Kentucky Ranger
I didn’t know bees went that high. I learned something today. Also, I think I would have landed the drone a little further away ?. Did you get stung?
Thankfully not. I just let it sit there until I could see for sure the cloud of insects was gone from around it.

Reactions: Kentucky Ranger
Hello there fellow pilots,

Could someone please enlighten me on what I could, or could not post on a social media site without a commercial license drone wise?

At the time of filming the footage over a year ago, when I was unaware of a few of the restrictions to flying and was flying without Operator or Flier ID’s I captured the footage, and have since become fully legal. The drone I was using was the HolyStone ‘HS165’, which I believe is just over a hundred and seventy grams - Insanely sturdy considering it survived a bee attack and a thirty to forty foot drop out of a tree.

Anyway, more to the point, I have been told my bee attack footage compilation would be a good thing to post on a platform such as Instagram. Legally speaking if I were to want to make an account and do that, am I allowed?
Why not? If as a rec flyer, posting to social media is not selling a product - so totally legal. I post many of my vids / pics of my flights on social media and so do many others who are not commercial pilots - as we are not doing it for gain (money). Most of my postings are waterfalls, mountains, and other scenery and may have few people in them and the ones that are in it, tend to be with me droning / photographing with me in theirs and we don't care.

As with any type of photography, you can run afoul if you video / take pics of people and post without consent. That is a gray area, but a person who may not want their pic posted on a public forum can ask to have it removed or even file a lawsuit if you do not have their consent. At least that is in the US. The UK may have more or less strict laws / rules, so someone more versed on you legalities there may have a better answer.

How so? You mean the person who said I should post I assume?

I think the IRE is probably a whole lot better than what I initially read that as… I still feel relatively bad for the bees, since both times I cleaned my drone afterwards it came off bright red and covered in some kind of venom substance - I assume that was what it was anyway.

I should have attached the type of thing I mean by this somewhere here.
I watermark ALL my photos - it's in the software to do so. None of the software I use watermarks video's - so there is that. Watermark / copyright has nothing to do with commercial value - simply to mark photos. Most people copy / share even watermarked photos as either they don't know the legalities or just don't care. With a watermark / copyright - you as the "artist" can ask and have them taken down.

Even after wiping the drone thoroughly?

Wow, as an animal management student I was completely unaware of that. You learn something new everyday.
yes it takes very little for the pheromone to remain - wipe over with some clove oil is one way beekeepers try to solve the problem

@TheSnowyPilot ,with regards to you question in post#7 i was referring to posting a place or persons, without getting there permission to do so on a web platform ( under privacy laws)
i watched your video of the bee attack and there was nothing on there that appeared to be able to upset anyone ,the bees most likely reacted to the noise that the props were giving off as the drone flew, and saw it as an enemy,
that flight certainly had a sting in its tail thats for sure

I contacted an organisation to do with beehives, and I was told that most likely what happened was that I stumbled into the stomping grounds of a large group of drones - Male bees - looking for a queen, which usually happens around that time of year roughly, which is most probably why they appeared out of nowhere, and not specifically from a hive, or not one that I could see on either occasion anyway.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929