DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video quality bad

David Smith

Reactions
Hi all. Just lately I'm getting jerky video footage from my Mini 2. I'm using a SanDisk extreme 64 GB card. I regularly format that card. Is it getting old do you think. I reckon I've formated it twenty times when the card is in its adapter, plugged into my laptop. Is there a more thorough way to reformat sd cards than that.
Thanks in advance. Dave

I never reformat my cards, unless I have an error message from my PC. Then it’s usually just a repair and move on. Can I ask why you would reformat so often?

Hi all. Just lately I'm getting jerky video footage from my Mini 2. I'm using a SanDisk extreme 64 GB card. I regularly format that card. Is it getting old do you think. I reckon I've formated it twenty times when the card is in its adapter, plugged into my laptop. Is there a more thorough way to reformat sd cards than that.
Thanks in advance. Dave
Always format the card in the drone with the DJI software. Not sure it that’s the cause of your issue but that’s the better way to do it.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
There's no reason at all to suspect that formatting the card has anything to do with the quality of your video.
You could format the card 10000 times and it would still have no effect on video quality.
If you want to find out what the actual issue might be, post a sample.

I never reformat my cards, unless I have an error message from my PC. Then it’s usually just a repair and move on. Can I ask why you would reformat so often?
Because it's a quick and convenient way to clear an SD card after copying the images to a computer.
There's nothing wrong with formatting an SD card.

Hi David.... can you clarify how the footage is choppy?...... is it in the live feed while recording or on playback?

If it is in the playback you may want to try different video players. Depending on the settings the footage can be very demanding on the computer and the video player and different ones handle the more advanced recording formats better. Its not likely that the video is actually choppy. H265 format and 4K are particularly demanding so if you are recording using these settings it may be causing your issues.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Hi RadioFlyerMan. It's not choppy whilst recording. It's on playback on my laptop. Before I've done any editing. But when I have edited it. It's not choppy anymore. But the video quality is a lot more "Grainier" and poor quality. Once I've edited and finished the video for putting up on youtube.
I'm sorry if I come across as not having any idea what I'm doing. The honest. That's the case. I'm nearly seventy. Not very tech-minded

Hi RadioFlyerMan. It's not choppy whilst recording. It's on playback on my laptop. Before I've done any editing. But when I have edited it. It's not choppy anymore. But the video quality is a lot more "Grainier" and poor quality. Once I've edited and finished the video for putting up on youtube.
I'm sorry if I come across as not having any idea what I'm doing. The honest. That's the case. I'm nearly seventy. Not very tech-minded
Hi David. As others have said, the fault is not in the SD Card. Your playback issue is either the laptop itself or the video player. Without knowing the specs of your computer, software and the quality/resolution of the video you are shooting in the first place, we can only speculate.

As for the editing, is it possible you are rendering the final video at a lower resolution than the original? Again, without more details, we can only speculate.

I know I found all aspects of drone photography, videography and editing a challenge as I had no real background in any if those subjects (drone related or otherwise) going in.

Last edited:
Hi David. As others have said, the fault is not in the SD Card. Your playback issue is either the laptop itself or the video player. Without knowing the specs of your computer, software and the quality/resolution of the video you are shooting in the first place, we can only speculate.

As for the editing, is it possible you are rendering the final video at a lower resolution than the original? Again, without more details, we can only speculate.

I know I found all aspects of drone photography, videography and editing a challenge as I had no real background in any if those subjects (drone related or otherwise) going in.
Hi Barbara. I'm plumping for the laptop getting old. It's a ten-year-old HP. Sorry, don't know the model number. You've been very helpful. And I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the lower-res rendering. Watch this space. It's a wonderfully clear evening here in Suffolk. So I will be flying tonight. Thanks Dave.

Reactions: gope_73
Hi people. Thanks for all your advice so far. That'll do for that one. I have just been out for a flight. And I can only zoom in up to 3x. Where has 4x zoom gone? Even when I use the slider that clicks as you slide up and down. That only goes to 3x zoom as well. What have I done now ??
Dave..... Grrrrrrrrr!!

You have to be shooting in 1080p to get 4x zoom. 2.7K will be 3x and 4K is 2x max,
Hi. Sounds like an easy fix. But as I mentioned previously that I'm old (70) Can you give me a very brief mini tutorial as to how I get to where I can change to 1080p, please. I would be so grateful. So sorry to be a pain. But I'm going on holiday in a few days. And I'd like to impress my grandchildren that grandad ain't quite past it yet. Though several out there might think I am. Hehe Dave Thanks,

Hi. Sounds like an easy fix. But as I mentioned previously that I'm old (70) Can you give me a very brief mini tutorial as to how I get to where I can change to 1080p, please. I would be so grateful. So sorry to be a pain. But I'm going on holiday in a few days. And I'd like to impress my grandchildren that grandad ain't quite past it yet. Though several out there might think I am. Hehe Dave Thanks,
Thanks for that. I'll give that a go. cheers

Thanks for sharing!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio