DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Quality! Help!

Mavic Ninja

Reactions
Hi all,

I have been most recently shooting videos in 4K, but then converting them to 1080p in order to be compatible on my iPhone, iPad (not 4K compat), and MacBook. Once converting, the quality is not that great.

I was hoping that someone could reccomend a setting to change to so that I could shoot videos and then upload it directly to my iPhone/iPad via my SD card reader.

I got some amazing footage while in Bosinia (Strbacki Buk waterfall), but unforuntately I shot it in 4K.

I know there are some related posts to this, but was hoping I could get a direct answer.

Thank you in advance!!!

-Mavic Ninja

First don't shoot in 4K if your going to downscale to 1080, use 2.7k, significantly easier to store, process and potentially almost no visible difference to 4K. If your using a Mac then use Apples own tools for the highest quality downsampling to 1080, e.g. iMovie or Quicktime.

First don't shoot in 4K if your going to downscale to 1080, use 2.7k, significantly easier to store, process and potentially almost no visible difference to 4K. If your using a Mac then use Apples own tools for the highest quality downsampling to 1080, e.g. iMovie or Quicktime.

Thanks, Cut.Aussie.

How do I change that specific setting in order to originally shoot in 1080p?

thanks for the help.

Click on Camera Settings here:
Side-Bar-DJI-Go-App-Drone.jpg

Then click on video settings (You must be in video mode, not still photo) here:
Video-Camera-Settings-DJI-Go-App-Drone.jpg

Video size is the first setting.

I would just recommend leaving it 4k... even if you do not have a 4k display to see it on. I shoot everything in 4k and never even seen any of my footage in 4k haha. I know its a bigger file size but its best you can get.

I disagree. There's no need to shoot in 4K if you're not going to use it. And it's always better to shoot in 1080 rather than downsampling to it. But if you think that one day long into the future you may want 4K video of your older work and hard drive space for storage is not an issue, then go ahead. Otherwise, it's not worth the extra time and grief of shooting in 4K and then converting.

I have a weird and random question. If your videos you take are saved directly into your mobile device, why is there a need for an SD in the drone?

Reactions: Jetlagged787
I have a weird and random question. If your videos you take are saved directly into your mobile device, why is there a need for an SD in the drone?

They are not. Low res versions are saved to your device. You can "download" the higher res versions from your Mavic to your device but that takes a manual step and a bit of time over the wireless connection.

+1 (sort of) except my question is, why is everything loaded onto my mobile device if it is going onto the SD card?

I'm new to Mavic and just back from my first flight with a warning on my mobile that I've run out of storage space! I really need to get an understanding of what is happening here and why all the files seem to be duplicated on my mobile device. I've not had a chance to check the SD card yet so hope that my flights have been recorded there.

Is there any recommended reading on the files stored on my mobile? Do I need them? Can I simply free up space for future flights by deleting them all? Ideally, if I need all these files, I would prefer that they were saved directly to the SD card on my mobile, but that's a lesson for another time.

+1 (sort of) except my question is, why is everything loaded onto my mobile device if it is going onto the SD card?

I'm new to Mavic and just back from my first flight with a warning on my mobile that I've run out of storage space! I really need to get an understanding of what is happening here and why all the files seem to be duplicated on my mobile device. I've not had a chance to check the SD card yet so hope that my flights have been recorded there.

Is there any recommended reading on the files stored on my mobile? Do I need them? Can I simply free up space for future flights by deleting them all? Ideally, if I need all these files, I would prefer that they were saved directly to the SD card on my mobile, but that's a lesson for another time.
The videos and photos on your device a very low resolution. Your actual 4K (or whatever resolution you're shooting) footage is on the microSD card. Just pop out the SD card and put it into your computer to copy the actual footage. In Go4 you can tell the app how much space you want to set aside for the cached (low-res) files, and there's even an option to clear the cache (remove the files from your device). It's all in the app.

Convenience. It allows you to see what you've recorded without the need for a computer. It's still low res (unless you download it). Basically, it's saving a copy locally of the video feed it's sending to your device to view. It also comes in real handy if you lose or crash your drone. At least you have a low res version of what you recorded and it can help find/locate your drone or see what went wrong.

You can delete them all if you want. In the DJI Go app, click on the "Me" tab --> Settings --> Clear Cache --> then select photo and video caches to clear. You can set the caches to whatever you want there as well.

Nope. You can keep them, delete them, never record them, record 2GB or 8 TB (not really) if you wish. It's all a personal preference (hence the setting in "preferences") ;)

Everything is saved to your SD card anyway, so you'll technically never need them. I personally keep 4 GB (on a 128 GB iPad) but that's because I have enough storage space.

Also keep in mind that the cached video is of the entire flight and not just when you started/stopped your recording (which is what is on your SD card). So if you missed something that happened and you weren't recording at the time, you still have the cached video.

Thanks, Cut.Aussie.

How do I change that specific setting in order to originally shoot in 1080p?

thanks for the help.

Honestly I cannot recommend you use the Mavic's 1080 as for some reason probably only known to DJI, the 1080 is terrible quality, far worse than say my GoPro 5.

Also keep in mind that the cached video is of the entire flight and not just when you started/stopped your recording (which is what is on your SD card). So if you missed something that happened and you weren't recording at the time, you still have the cached video.

That's good to know. Thanks for that. Thumbswayup

This is overwhelming...other users recomended to shoot in 1080. I already know my computer wont handle 4k. My videos play and look great on my phone but when i download look very bad. It is a way for this or i just shoot on 2k or 1080...??
Thanks for your help guys....

If you want 1080p shoot in 2.7k or 4k then downsize to 1080p with something like Adobe premiere,downsizing for want of better words "squeezes all the pixels into a smaller picture and increases the quality of the 1080p video" .

As for your pc not handling 4k Google "Adobe premiere proxy editing". Or whatever program you use proxy editing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61