DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Rendering help

Jeff A

Well Worn Member
Reactions
I fly a Mavic 2 Zoom and do most of my video recording @ 4K, 30 fps.. I'm in the process of buying a decent 35mm Mirror-less camera as I would like to combine still and motion for some of what I would shoot. I have settled on a camera that gives me most of the features I would want in a still camera and still be somewhat affordable. The Sony camera I'm looking at shoots video but the max resolution is 1080P @ 60fps. Lets say I take my drone video @ 4K/30fps and the video from the Sony at 1080P and 30 or 60 fps and try to render the video in Cyberlink Power Director 18, which I own. Is this sort of thing possible? Your thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

I fly a Mavic 2 Zoom and do most of my video recording @ 4K, 30 fps.. I'm in the process of buying a decent 35mm Mirror-less camera as I would like to combine still and motion for some of what I would shoot. I have settled on a camera that gives me most of the features I would want in a still camera and still be somewhat affordable. The Sony camera I'm looking at shoots video but the max resolution is 1080P @ 60fps. Lets say I take my drone video @ 4K/30fps and the video from the Sony at 1080P and 30 or 60 fps and try to render the video in Cyberlink Power Director 18, which I own. Is this sort of thing possible? Your thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Your software will either Upscale or Down scale the footage based on what ever footage you bring in first.
This is the way it works on Adobe and I am thinking your will work that way also.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 2 in the Rain

I use Davinci Resolve, in which you choose a resolution and frame rate for the timeline. Incoming clips from different cameras are all converted to the chosen timeline resolution and frame rate. Would think that Cyberlink PD would work the same way.

Just a suggestion as a test. Shoot 2 different clips at different resolution or frame rate from your drone ( or mobile phone ) and load into your video editor to see how the software handles it. I have used various clips together from different devices without an issue.

Also, I have come to the opinion the 4K production is great but may not be fully necessary or noticeable in many consumer applications. ( YouTube,etc ). Consequently, then shooting additional clips with my Samsung S9 just out of convenience.

Good Luck !

Reactions: hiflyer201
I use Davinci Resolve, in which you choose a resolution and frame rate for the timeline. Incoming clips from different cameras are all converted to the chosen timeline resolution and frame rate. Would think that Cyberlink PD would work the same way.
I'm thinking that you are right and PowerDirector works the same way. I MAY be getting the camera soon so I can do some tests.

Thank you to all that responded. Your help is appreciated.

Sounds complicated. Youll report back on your findings??

Just obtained Davinci Resolve. Dont know diddly about it. Your succinct statement has been helpful.

Also, you can download HandBrake and match your Drone footage with the camera output settings and convert the video.

Reactions: Thomas B
There are others that know more about editing software specifics than I do. But may I ask, why have you limited yourself to a 1080p camera when the world standard is rapidly adopting 4k as the standard du jour?

The reason I ask is based on my own short-sighted mistakes which I've repeated more than once in different areas. I wasn't looking toward the future or possibilities and ended up buying equipment that I'm now looking to replace, or put into backup status, upgrading it. One example was just a year ago when I bought FHD monitor (2560x1440), thinking I would only be taking still photos. Little did I recognize that before the year was over I'd be shooting 4k video. I made a similar purchase error when I bought my Canon 5D Mark III which only takes 1080p video (though I hear there is a hack for 4k). More recently, I first bought a Mavic Mini when I should have gone for the MA2... and within a matter of weeks corrected my thinking and bought a M2 Pro. There is a longer story behind the drone saga.

But what I've learned over the years is that there is a difference between what we can REALLY afford and what we psychologically are WILLING to pay. I also learned that I cannot have a mindset of making long term purchase with short term dollars. I've learned that the pain of writing the check goes away 30 seconds after I sign my name... if I'm happy with the purchase. But if I cheap out, I'll remember the regret forever [ask me about my '92 Ford Explorer when you have time to read the anecdote].

If you think this is a purchase you want to use for a long time I would suggest you consider a camera with more up-to-date specs. JMO

Dismounting soap box.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeusfl
There are others that know more about editing software specifics than I do. But may I ask, why have you limited yourself to a 1080p camera when the world standard is rapidly adopting 4k as the standard du jour?
<SNIP>
Dismounting soap box.
It's not that I'm not willing to spend more money, it's that there is no more money, at least for some time. I chose to sacrifice 4K capability and buy a much better lens. I'm 77 and my health is less than stellar. I'm just starting in Photography. If things go well for me, I can upgrade the camera body in a year or two.

It's not that I'm not willing to spend more money, it's that there is no more money, at least for some time. I chose to sacrifice 4K capability and buy a much better lens. I'm 77 and my health is less than stellar. I'm just starting in Photography. If things go well for me, I can upgrade the camera body in a year or two.

I appreciate you position. Income this year has been more than "interesting". I'm just curious as to what equipment you've selected and what type of photography (and/or video) you intend to do?

I appreciate you position. Income this year has been more than "interesting". I'm just curious as to what equipment you've selected and what type of photography (and/or video) you intend to do?
Income interesting? That's one way to put it. :) Equipment. First of all I would like to upgrade my Drone from the Mavic 2 Zoom to the Pro model. I love the Mavic 2! The Pro camera is better suited as a match up with the still camera. I'm taking an online course on Adobe Lightroom and loving it. I have the Adobe Creative Cloud which includes Photoshop and a few other bits.
CAMERA: . I have settled on the Sony Alpha 7 II. Certainly not a new camera but I think it is a great choice for a 1st Digital, Mirror-less camera. I was really struck by one review that I read that really liked the 7 II but in the end said a better choice would be one of the Canon's (I forgot the model) or one of the Nikon's. I immediately found reviews for those cameras and discovered those were nearly $3000 more than the Sony. That's crazy! Unfortunately, the street price on the Sony went up from $900 (Body only) to $1400 in one day about two weeks ago! My timing sucks. I have a Niece who's Husband has this exact camera and I have had a chance to look at it and shoot a few pictures. I brought some RAW shots home and played with them in Lightroom. My goal that day was to take pictures along side of the Sony and compare the photos with the DJI camera. Unfortunately I lost the Micro SD Card before I could make that happen.

Last edited:
I have a Sony DSC-RX100M7 point & shoot that is excellent and records 4K video. It's amazing what this little camera can do.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143