DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Settings Advice

Petetheroadie

Reactions
Hi All,

New Mavic user here. New to drones, filming and editing all in one go!

Wanted to see if I could get some advice on how to improve the footage I shoot and see if there are any good LUTs around that people swear by. Will do some research on my own to figure out the editing workflow with Adobe Premier Pro...

I started with a quick flight around my neigbourhood here with the Mavic settings on 4k DLog and everything else default.

2nd try (here) I made sure it was on DLog and tweaked the settings to be +1,0,0. I then colour graded the video using the free Ground Control Colour LUT, the results of which you can see here.

Keen to get pointers and advice (and yes I know I need to improve the smoothness of my flying! :) )

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Nice! Youre exposures look pretty good. Lots to digest all at once with filming editing flying and all. Im new to this as well so take my advice for what its worth Try and keep youre shots simple and think in terms of gathering many short clips to shoot and later asemble them all together for editing. Be ruthless with what you keep and dont keep!

Also try and have a good idea in your mind of what youre trying to shoot ie perpectives lighting and effect etc. before flying. Also, most importantly just fly and experiment dont worry about getting everything perfect the first time. Too much to learn for that. As a perfectionist this is one the most difficult things for me!

Lots of good you tube videos of photographers/videographers sharing their tips. As an example i found andy mumford on you tube. As a landscape photographer myself i really liked is style and he shared some excellent tips on using the mavic

Experiment and have fun!

Nice! Youre exposures look pretty good. Lots to digest all at once with filming editing flying and all. Im new to this as well so take my advice for what its worth Try and keep youre shots simple and think in terms of gathering many short clips to shoot and later asemble them all together for editing. Be ruthless with what you keep and dont keep!

Also try and have a good idea in your mind of what youre trying to shoot ie perpectives lighting and effect etc. before flying. Also, most importantly just fly and experiment dont worry about getting everything perfect the first time. Too much to learn for that. As a perfectionist this is one the most difficult things for me!

Lots of good you tube videos of photographers/videographers sharing their tips. As an example i found andy mumford on you tube. As a landscape photographer myself i really liked is style and he shared some excellent tips on using the mavic

Experiment and have fun!
I really love those individual housing areas! :D

Experiment and have fun!

Really appreciate the feedback, thanks! The advice about keeping it simple and gathering lots of short clips seems sound and is really appreciated. Will look up Andy Mumford, cheers for that! Definitely having fun with it, the Mavic is my new favourite toy :).

Cheers!

Pete

Tried to take eastsidedrnr's advice, short clips, smooth simple movement etc. into account with this video:

It's not very exciting, and the flow doesn't make that much sense, but it's an improvement over my earlier efforts. :)

Again, all advice or feedback gratefully received.

Pete

Tried to take eastsidedrnr's advice, short clips, smooth simple movement etc. into account with this video:

It's not very exciting, and the flow doesn't make that much sense, but it's an improvement over my earlier efforts. :)

Again, all advice or feedback gratefully received.

Pete
Much better than the first one in my opinion. But: You are flying at about the same height. Sometimes I think it is better if you follow the line of the river. It would make bigger effect if you start from before the brigde and flying under the brigde and ascending directly after to follow the river upwards or downwards to the sea.
Recently I made a small movie for my granddaughter where you can see what I mean. I think it is sometimes favorable to make not to short scenes if the movement of the drone followes lines. I like the music too. Look at this:
I did make this in a hurry because my granddaughter urged for it...
Sorry for my english, my french is better...

Cool, yep, I totally get what you mean, and I see it in your video. Will bear the advice about using height better in mind next time I fly.

Thank you!

Cool, yep, I totally get what you mean, and I see it in your video. Will bear the advice about using height better in mind next time I fly.

Thank you!
The first video I made was from our housing here too. :D That's why I wrote the earlier comment...

Ah ok, cool. I'm in Ireland, where we tend not to have much in the way of hi-rise housing. (and even the tallest office building in the Capital is currently 13 stories tall.)

Nice job. Really liked the river shots. I liked the suggestion above of following the river and mixing the perspectives up. Watch those sky exposures! Keep it up!

Thanks for the feedback!

Latest effort here:

Had some time to kill in a really beautiful part of Ireland, with so much history everywhere you look. Check it out, and as always, happy to hear feedback!

Pete

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada