DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Smear

Chaosrider

Reactions
It seems like whenever I rotate the Mini-2 to get a panorama, the image on the video gets smeared during the rotation, unless I keep the rotation rate down to 1 RPM.

What's the best camera setting for minimizing this?

4K at 30 fps?

Or 2.7K at 60 fps?

Or...?

Thx!

TCS

I got this from @slup it's a very good read as well as some of the other info on the site.
Very informative, thanks to you and slup!

From the article:

"The frame rate can also have a big impact on panning. For example, capturing at a higher frame rate (such as 48 or 60 fps) can help smooth the most detrimental high-frequency camera movements if this footage is played back more slowly (such as 24 or 30 fps). Alternatively, high frame rate playback can reduce the appearance of judder or other artifacts without having to decrease the panning speed."

Would it be sensible to conclude from this that 2.7 at 60 fps would produce less smear than 4K at 30 fps?

All other things being equal?

Thx!

TCS

Very informative, thanks to you and slup!

From the article:

"The frame rate can also have a big impact on panning. For example, capturing at a higher frame rate (such as 48 or 60 fps) can help smooth the most detrimental high-frequency camera movements if this footage is played back more slowly (such as 24 or 30 fps). Alternatively, high frame rate playback can reduce the appearance of judder or other artifacts without having to decrease the panning speed."

Would it be sensible to conclude from this that 2.7 at 60 fps would produce less smear than 4K at 30 fps?

All other things being equal?

Thx!

TCS
I would assume so. I would think that "smear" has a lot to do with the shutter speed used as well.

Yes from 4 - 1/8000 s
Interesting.

I come to drones from the pilot world, rather than the photography world, and my knowledge of camera settings is pretty sketchy.

If I increase the shutter speed, I'll get less smear, yes? What are the costs of doing that, in terms of the quality of the video?

Thx!

TCS

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580