DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video techniques

GDK

Reactions
Im new to video editing and have just downloaded DaVinci Resolve 15, going through training videos and the manual.
My question is do most people shoot multiple short videos and edit and position them on the time line or shoot one continues video and then clip and edit?

I started by just hitting record and that's it, tried that for a month. Then I would cut segments out. Now I make quick clips instead of one long video.

Recording everything can be simpler, but it's a bit more work editing, as you have to go through your footage completely to select the shots you want. Plus you forget you are recording and do things like make adjustments to your flight path that take you out of a great shot. I switched last week to taking shots when I want them. once and a while I will forget to start the recording or think I already am (product of how I started taking shots before) I find now that I am taking more quality shots doing it in clips. plus if I see a nice shot I just fly back after a test pass and then record it as smooth as possible. It's easier in the editing process as the clips are are self contained and easy to just drop in (without the seeking, clipping, and placing) so it saves time. Plus recording in shots I use less memory card and space. It's also easier to save the best clips raw (instead of trimming it out and saving it (and losing some quality) for later) It all adds up.

That's just my preference tho. Everyone will have their own, you just need to try both for a while each and see what gives you the best workflow for you.

I also take quick clips as I find that it puts me in a mindset of "getting the shot". I also find it's a lot easier to sort through them then scrolling through a long video and slicing it up. I'm also on Resolve but version 14 Studio still. I will be updating soon.

I'm in the clips camp.

I start recording . . . count to 5 . . . </insert majestic video attempt> . . . count to 5 . . . stop recording.

The lead in-out time I trim in post. Gives me room to wriggle (transitions etc..)

Cheers

Im new to video editing and have just downloaded DaVinci Resolve 15, going through training videos and the manual.
My question is do most people shoot multiple short videos and edit and position them on the time line or shoot one continues video and then clip and edit?
It depends on time and circumstances for me. Local places, country houses, villages, I'll probably do lots of short clips, over head shot, pull back shot, but then I might need to be in three, four or five spots to safely get such shots but, being reasonably local to me I can visit them time and again. Abroad, as a tourist that's not always practical so there I'll shot one long movie and then edit out all the repositioning work and junk. The ideal is lots of great shots. Be sure to watch Tom's Tech time channel, great technique.

Reactions: TKR_Bones
using litchi mostly for scouting and compostion, it has auto record on takeoff for one long video, ill usually go back using that pre production video to set up waypoint missions of the compositions i want

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929