DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video to Phone. Photos not to phone

Polarzak

Reactions
Didn't see this discussed. Sorry if I did not see it. On my new Mini SE, the videos and photoes get recorded to my SD Card, however only the videos are captured by my phone. No pictures get recorded on the phone. Is there a setting I missed? Thanks.

New SE owner here as well so I will look for answers on this thread. From what I gather so far there is a cache on the phone that will keep the latest pictures/movies recorded. From the Fly app main menu you can go into "Album" and see the pictures and films that are in cache. If the drone is connected you can download from the card to the album on your phone. It really is easier just to take out the microSD and download everything on your computer where you can use powerful editing software.

Reactions: Crash and Burn
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I seem to have read somewhare if the drone is connected one can see the pictures in Album on the app, but it just seems to be an odd way of doing things. If the videos are loaded into Album automatically, why would the pictures not be the same. It is not a large issue, but I thought I may have something set up incorrectly. Nice to see someone from Montreal. Used to live in Dorval but now in Toronto.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I seem to have read somewhare if the drone is connected one can see the pictures in Album on the app, but it just seems to be an odd way of doing things. If the videos are loaded into Album automatically, why would the pictures not be the same. It is not a large issue, but I thought I may have something set up incorrectly. Nice to see someone from Montreal. Used to live in Dorval but now in Toronto.
Videos / pics to phone (cached) are not as good a quality as on an SD card. Stick with the SD card and you'll have the best ones and easier to deal with on a PC / MAC.

Videos / pics to phone (cached) are not as good a quality as on an SD card. Stick with the SD card and you'll have the best ones and easier to deal with on a PC / MAC.
Yes, thanks for the reply. I understand that and I am a long way of from post production on my PC. It is just easier to send some silly photos directly from my phone (if they) were there) to my kids. As for video, the mini sucks. I have tried two recommended SD cards, and while the photos are speculator, the videos all stop/start/stop start/. In other words no video. I have already spent bucks on two recommened SD cards (both had video problems) and am about to go out to Best Buy and buy the only thing in the store recommenced by DJI and that is a 128 GB SanDisk Extreme Plus V30 A2. And it is not cheap. In all I am not impressed so far with this Mini SE. It sure is not as stable as I have seen on YouTube videos. One guy was flying in 12mph winds and the thing was like a rock. Mine is not stable unless it is dead calm and 10 ten feet off the ground. (or just idling on the ground) Had better flying experience with a cheap MXJ $150 dollar drone. I expected a lot more from this Mini SE particularly when I went all out and bought the fly more combo also. I am tempted to box it up and return it. Again, thanks for the reply.

Yes, thanks for the reply. I understand that and I am a long way of from post production on my PC. It is just easier to send some silly photos directly from my phone (if they) were there) to my kids. As for video, the mini sucks. I have tried two recommended SD cards, and while the photos are speculator, the videos all stop/start/stop start/. In other words no video. I have already spent bucks on two recommened SD cards (both had video problems) and am about to go out to Best Buy and buy the only thing in the store recommenced by DJI and that is a 128 GB SanDisk Extreme Plus V30 A2. And it is not cheap. In all I am not impressed so far with this Mini SE. It sure is not as stable as I have seen on YouTube videos. One guy was flying in 12mph winds and the thing was like a rock. Mine is not stable unless it is dead calm and 10 ten feet off the ground. (or just idling on the ground) Had better flying experience with a cheap MXJ $150 dollar drone. I expected a lot more from this Mini SE particularly when I went all out and bought the fly more combo also. I am tempted to box it up and return it. Again, thanks for the reply.
I don't have a Mini SE, but do have a Mini (1) and had no issues with video at all. Having the right SD card is first thing to get right. To shoot up to 4k video - you can't use an $8 SD card - plain and simple.

You say you re having issues with video, like what specifically. Being generic helps nobody help you. Have you contacted DJI and opened a case with them. Not every drone made by a human is 100%. My Sandisk Cards for 128 were like $25 and that is not expensive as some SD cards are like triple that price and not required by the drone.

As for flying in wind - all drones have issues in wind above 10 mph. The smaller the drone the more problems. My Air2 can handle 20-25 mph winds, but it's not happy about it. Battery levels drop quickly as the drone fights the wind to stay stable - much less trying to fly forward into a head wind. The Mini series is inexpensive and easy getting into drone flight and doesn't have all the capabilities & bells / whistles the Mavic's or others have like the Air2 / S. Expecting it to do so is not going to happen and unrealistic.

Instead of getting mad, have you READ the manual and watched some beginner videos on the SE? I guess you watched one where some guy flew fine in the wind, but that says nothing about what you are attempting and HOW you are going about it. Flying a drone takes time to learn how it operates and reacts in many situations and the SE is at the bottom of the list pretty much - maybe the Spark ot older DJI drones are less capable.

If you are having flight issues, you can post your logs on the forum for the guru's to read and they can explain what is going on - either by the drone or the pilot. Post them and lets see what is going on. Also contact DJI if you think there are major issues with your drone - they can help, but will need non-generic info and the logs as well.

Not 100% sure of this, but it could be you have photos set to take raw only ?
If so, maybe it doesn't save even the lower res jpegs to the phone cache.
I'm not even sure if the MiniSE / Fly app gives you the option to take in raw only, or if it's like GO4 and allows jpeg or jpeg and raw option.
Worth a quick look.

I don't have a Mini SE, but do have a Mini (1) and had no issues with video at all. Having the right SD card is first thing to get right. To shoot up to 4k video - you can't use an $8 SD card - plain and simple.

You say you re having issues with video, like what specifically. Being generic helps nobody help you. Have you contacted DJI and opened a case with them. Not every drone made by a human is 100%. My Sandisk Cards for 128 were like $25 and that is not expensive as some SD cards are like triple that price and not required by the drone.

As for flying in wind - all drones have issues in wind above 10 mph. The smaller the drone the more problems. My Air2 can handle 20-25 mph winds, but it's not happy about it. Battery levels drop quickly as the drone fights the wind to stay stable - much less trying to fly forward into a head wind. The Mini series is inexpensive and easy getting into drone flight and doesn't have all the capabilities & bells / whistles the Mavic's or others have like the Air2 / S. Expecting it to do so is not going to happen and unrealistic.

Instead of getting mad, have you READ the manual and watched some beginner videos on the SE? I guess you watched one where some guy flew fine in the wind, but that says nothing about what you are attempting and HOW you are going about it. Flying a drone takes time to learn how it operates and reacts in many situations and the SE is at the bottom of the list pretty much - maybe the Spark ot older DJI drones are less capable.

If you are having flight issues, you can post your logs on the forum for the guru's to read and they can explain what is going on - either by the drone or the pilot. Post them and lets see what is going on. Also contact DJI if you think there are major issues with your drone - they can help, but will need non-generic info and the logs as well.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry if I complained too much. I read the manual thru and thru before I bought the Mini I purchased two sd cards recommended in the manual. They were not 8 dollar cheapest. The video on both were like stop action. One frame then another frame and then another frame and so on. No motion. I watched far too many Youtube videos on the Mini 2 and Mini SE. I did my homework before I purchased. I used to fly RC helicopters before GPS so I know how to fly. A five year old can fly a GPS drone. I have my new SD card but no time to test. If it works ... great. If not then the drone goes back. Thanks for your reply.

Not 100% sure of this, but it could be you have photos set to take raw only ?
If so, maybe it doesn't save even the lower res jpegs to the phone cache.
I'm not even sure if the MiniSE / Fly app gives you the option to take in raw only, or if it's like GO4 and allows jpeg or jpeg and raw option.
Worth a quick look.
Thanks for the reply. The SE (and or the app) does not have the option to record in raw. The drone does not record in 4K like the Mini 2. Thanks.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Thanks for the reply. The SE (and or the app) does not have the option to record in raw. The drone does not record in 4K like the Mini 2. Thanks.

Ah, forgot the SE was a little more budget version . . .

Really odd, obviously with video in cache it's turned on to save the low res files.

Well today I tried the brand new Sandisk Extreme Plus128GB as recommend in the DJI manual. (Third recommended SD) The video is still junk. Jerky, freezing, stops starts. Jerks. So, then I think maybe my video player in Windows 10 is garbage so I downloaded a bunch of MP4 video players, Same thing. None would play the video without jerking, stopping and then totally freezing. I downloaded a couple of actual video editors, one being the highly recommened Open Shot and it was the same. The videos simple will not play. So, thank fully I saved all of the packaging for this POS drone, and it is now packed up and going back. I am happy for all of you that enjoy your Mini SE. Mine seems to be junk. Perhaps I will buy something else but definately nothing from DJI. This has been a frustration experience and needless expense buying several SC cards. Thanks to all who tried to help.

One last thing, I contacted DJI Support and that told me to download a program called QQ Player. I did and same results. I have concluded it is a drone issue, not my SD cards or my player software. So it is going back. I don't want a replacement, just my money back. Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if I complained too much. I read the manual thru and thru before I bought the Mini I purchased two sd cards recommended in the manual. They were not 8 dollar cheapest. The video on both were like stop action. One frame then another frame and then another frame and so on. No motion. I watched far too many Youtube videos on the Mini 2 and Mini SE. I did my homework before I purchased. I used to fly RC helicopters before GPS so I know how to fly. A five year old can fly a GPS drone. I have my new SD card but no time to test. If it works ... great. If not then the drone goes back. Thanks for your reply.
Are you sure it's not your computer? My old computer was horrible for playing and editing high res gopro video. Since I've upgraded, I've had no problems with my gopro or mini se videos.

Are you sure it's not your computer? My old computer was horrible for playing and editing high res gopro video. Since I've upgraded, I've had no problems with my gopro or mini se videos.
You might have a point. I tried playing the videos on another spare PC I have for testing. Both PCs are older, one having an AMD processor, and the other Intel, but both comparitively fast chips, good video cards, and lots of memory. Both easily play other MP4 videos. No idea if they are high res MP4s. Just seems odd that the videos will play fine in the DJI album on my old Samsung Galaxy A5 phone. Anyway, I have boxed up the Mini and will take it back tomorrow to Best Buy. My wife is trying to convince me to take a replacement, but I am so frustrated I just want my money back. We will see what kind of mood I am in tomorrow at Best Buy. Maybe taking a replacement and it still doesn't work might prove your theory of a Pc that is too old. I will report back on whatever happens. Thanks very much for the reply and suggestion.

You might have a point. I tried playing the videos on another spare PC I have for testing. Both PCs are older, one having an AMD processor, and the other Intel, but both comparitively fast chips, good video cards, and lots of memory. Both easily play other MP4 videos. No idea if they are high res MP4s. Just seems odd that the videos will play fine in the DJI album on my old Samsung Galaxy A5 phone. Anyway, I have boxed up the Mini and will take it back tomorrow to Best Buy. My wife is trying to convince me to take a replacement, but I am so frustrated I just want my money back. We will see what kind of mood I am in tomorrow at Best Buy. Maybe taking a replacement and it still doesn't work might prove your theory of a Pc that is too old. I will report back on whatever happens. Thanks very much for the reply and suggestion.
No worries, I understand technology can be frustrating and a steep learning curve but it's also very rewarding. I've been really impresses with my little SE. I still have heaps to learn but just do a little at a time.

I used to get really frustrated when I tried watching/editing gopro videos on my pc. I hadn't realized that it just didn't have enough grunt for the job until I searched up the topic in a fb group, I wasn't alone apparently.

There is so much good advice here and in FB groups and a lot of really helpful people that are willing to share their knowledge if you ask questions :)

Last edited:
No worries, I understand technology can be frustrating and a steep learning curve but it's also very rewarding. I've been really impresses with my little SE. I still have heaps to learn but just do a little at a time.

I used to get really frustrated when I tried watching/editing gopro videos on my pc. I hadn't realized that it just didn't have enough grunt for the job until I searched up the topic in a fb group, I wasn't alone apparently.

There is so much good advice here and in FB groups and a lot of really helpful people that are willing to share their knowledge if you ask questions :)
Well, Crash and Burn....(and others who replied..).I have some crow to eat. You were right. The problem WAS with my PC. I went searching on the web as to why my video was choppy/freezing, etc. from an SD card. Lots of solutions from downloading new CODECs to new video cards. I found a simple solution was to go to Control Panel, Trouble Shooting, and Windows Media. Clicked on the go button and it found something (can't remember what now) but clicked on FIX and sure enough, the video now runs perfectly. No matter which program I use (Windows Media Player, VLC, Open Shot, Etc) they all now play my video perfectly. I guess there will be a second unboxing of my Mini SE. Thanks Crash and Burn and all of the people who replied, for your advice and patience. My apologies if my frustration was displayed.

• Love
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S