DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video versus still quality

Keehner

Reactions
Being new to the world of droning 8 understand I have allot to learn. The being said when I shoot video I understand D-Log is best for having a wider array of variance post prod. My photos come out looking amazing right out of the gate but my video is washed out and super flat.
Admittedly I haven’t a clue when to use which of the ND filters.
If anyone has any pointers I would appreciate it.

I understand D-Log is best for having a wider array of variance post prod [...] my video is washed out and super flat.
That gives you more latitude for post-prod, but at the cost of the footage being essentially unusable without that post-prod.

If you don't intend to spend the large amount of time needed to do a bit better, just shoot standard.

Being new to the world of droning 8 understand I have allot to learn. The being said when I shoot video I understand D-Log is best for having a wider array of variance post prod. My photos come out looking amazing right out of the gate but my video is washed out and super flat.
D log needs editing to bring out the color , sounds you like you missed a step.
OK Keehner... Let's back up for a moment. There is nothing bad about starting out, but you have to walk before you fly... or is it fly before you shoot???... whatever. So first things first.

There is nothing wrong with shooting in NORMAL mode. D-Log is a more advanced operation and REQUIRES post production color grading. If you have some experience color correcting still images you're ahead of the game. If not, I would then suggest you shoot video in NORMAL until you spend some time studying color grading. And that will require a GOOD video editing program that supports color grading (I use Davini Resolve which is more than basic, but free). I think in the process you might want to get a handle on your basic video editing skills before you delve into D-Log which is more time consuming than the great color that usually comes from the normal mode.

As for ND filters, assuming that your drone has a fixed aperture of f2.8, you would use the left-most column to determine which ND filter you would need for a particular situation. They are needed if you want a "cinematic" with natural "motion blur". They become important as you fly close to objects, but they will make little difference from a distance. They are good to have. The idea is that if your video camera setting is 24fps or 30fps you would want your shutter speed to be double the frame rate, which would be either 1/60sec or 1/50 sec. So below find a chart that could possibly help you determine which ND filters you might want or need and when to use them.

Good luck.

1633798961627.jpeg

DJI’s D-log is exceptionally difficult to work with due to a combination of low bitrate and complete lack of standardization. If you have a model that support HLG color that is a far better choice.

The actual need for d-log only is present with very high contrast scenes where either the brights are getting clipped or the blacks are. You can easily see if you have this situation using the drone’s histogram. Otherwise you are better off with one of the normally processed video modes. I almost always shoot in cinema-d, and have no problems matching footage shot with a Nikon Z7 in a combined video.

In the same way that if you had no idea about post processing a still image and you chose to shoot in RAW and some one else shot in Jpeg mode, your images would look like crap compared to the Jpeg person, shooting in D-log is the same thing for video. Don't bother with it until you see a need to do it that way, which would mean you have a very good understanding and ability with post processing video.

You also don't really need to use ND filters when videoing. Just shoot in normal mode for video and Jpeg for your still images and you'll have a lot more fun and rarely have to do anything to your images. Too many newbies get too caught up in what experts are telling you, not fully understanding what is being said. Keep it simple and enjoy it all.

Reactions: Keehner and 4006448
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S