DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Videos- camera settings, editing etc???

A.O.

Reactions
Ok, well I'm getting a little better at flying my MA2 and I'm wanting some insight on making little videos and such so I'm looking for some BASIC advice and tutorials to watch.
I AM NOT a camera guy so like I say I'm wanting to learn the basics.. settings on my camera, editing to make thee videos shorter and smoother and how to add maybe titles and some music to them.
All the ones I watch are pretty slick while mine are long, choppy and quiet!!
so just point me in a direction to start please.. and remember BASIC, thanks.

Reactions: Mavikhan
Ok. I am not a camera guy either, nor am I an expert. From my personal notes, these are the settings that work for me:
  1. EXP (slows sticks down):
    1. throttle .20
    2. rudder .20
    3. forward .20
  2. Gimbal advanced setting:
    1. pitch EXP (speed looking up/down): 8
    2. gimbal pitch smoothness (how fast gimbal stops moving): 20
    3. Enable synchronized gimbal pan follow- NO!!
  3. Sensitivity
    1. Attitude 100 (stock)
    2. brake 100
    3. yaw limit 50
  4. Do not change gain settings
  5. Camera: NTSC, anti-flicker 60, color- normal, 1080P/24fps (and check frame rate in DaVinci Resolve), 60 Hz, mp4
  6. White Balance: always use auto WB (AWB)
  7. Sharpness: -1, Contrast: -1, Saturation: +3
  8. ND filters:
    1. Use the ND8 filter unless it’s noon on a cloudless day.
    2. ND 16 is for noon and cloudless.
    3. Use ND filters without Davinci Resolve auto color.
I use the basic DaVinci Resolve for editing.

I will be absolutely crucified for this post because it is contradictory to what everybody else does, and I am bloody ready for it.

Ok. I am not a camera guy either, nor am I an expert. From my personal notes, these are the settings that work for me:
  1. EXP (slows sticks down):
    1. throttle .20
    2. rudder .20
    3. forward .20
  2. Gimbal advanced setting:
    1. pitch EXP (speed looking up/down): 8
    2. gimbal pitch smoothness (how fast gimbal stops moving): 20
    3. Enable synchronized gimbal pan follow- NO!!
  3. Sensitivity
    1. Attitude 100 (stock)
    2. brake 100
    3. yaw limit 50
  4. Do not change gain settings
  5. Camera: NTSC, anti-flicker 60, color- normal, 1080P/24fps (and check frame rate in DaVinci Resolve), 60 Hz, mp4
  6. White Balance: always use auto WB (AWB)
  7. Sharpness: -1, Contrast: -1, Saturation: +3
  8. ND filters:
    1. Use the ND8 filter unless it’s noon on a cloudless day.
    2. ND 16 is for noon and cloudless.
    3. Use ND filters without Davinci Resolve auto color.
I use the basic DaVinci Resolve for editing.

I will be absolutely crucified for this post because it is contradictory to what everybody else does, and I am bloody ready for it.
What are you flying?? I do not see most of those on my controller/Fly App.
I have no filters, should I?
DaVinci Resolve?? what is that and where would I get it?

KHAN!!! ?

• Haha

KHAN!!! ?
1. I fly an old Phantom 4 but these common settings are ubiquitous in almost all DJI flight settings.
2. You gotta have 3 basic ND filters: ND4, ND8, ND16. All the others are just fluff. Do not buy 'polarized' filters.
3. Davinci Resolve is a free editing download that I use and I love it. I don't get a kickback but boy I wish I did. Once you get Davinci downloaded I will help you get started using it.

EDIT: Your Davinci video will easily upload to YouTube when we are done. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: A.O.
1. I fly an old Phantom 4 but these common settings are ubiquitous in almost all DJI flight settings.
2. You gotta have 3 basic ND filters: ND4, ND8, ND16. All the others are just fluff. Do not buy 'polarized' filters.
3. Davinci Resolve is a free editing download that I use and I love it. I don't get a kickback but boy I wish I did. Once you get Davinci downloaded I will help you get started using it.

EDIT: Your Davinci video will easily upload to YouTube when we are done. ?
I will look into all of this, is that DaVinci thing reasonably easy to use?

EDIT: Your Davinci video will easily upload to YouTube when we are done. [emoji106]
The problem is the OP is flying an MA2 which uses the Fly app. Over half of the settings you mentioned don't exist with Fly. One of the reasons I can't see Fly being used for a future M3 without a bunch of catching up to what Go provides.

Reactions: A.O. and Mavikhan
Yes. This will fix your YouTube problems too. [emoji1303]
No, DaVinci isn't that intuitive. However even the free version is full featured professional. It is optimized to use GPU for it's processing so you want to use the best graphics card you can afford. An Nvidia 1060 will work OK.

Reactions: A.O.
No, DaVinci isn't that intuitive. However even the free version is full featured professional. It is optimized to use GPU for it's processing so you want to use the best graphics card you can afford. An Nvidia 1060 will work OK.
Is that another editing app?

Yes. This will fix your YouTube problems too. ??
Which you tube problems are you referring to.. super slow downloads I hope.

I am using Filmora X and there are plenty of videos on how to use it.
There also videos on changing the setting on MA2 to make it look smoother for video.

Apart from camera settings and editing programmes, of which there are many different opinions, watch some YouTube videos. They are usually short duration, don’t stay on one scene or aspect very long and have good background music and/ or talk overs. It’s also good to incorporate some “B roll” footage.
About 10 sec shots before changing scenery etc. Try putting still photos with video, transitioning between scenes.
Before going out to fly think about what you want to achieve with the shoot, maybe do a short storybook plan.
Not many people want to sit and watch a 15 minute video of you just flying around, try to have a good context.
I recently did a video of an old re discovered graveyard behind a hospital (Garrawarra) in the bush. The hospital was used as a TB hospital in Australia. Thousands died over the years and buried and forgotten.
I found some early history, old photos, took camera shots of the run down hospital, graves, overgrown grounds then some drone shots. Put it together with a talk intro with background history and added “Knocking on heavens door” cover song by Raign with permission.
About 7 minutes long. Shots changed in time with beat of song.
I use Da Vinci Resolve, Pinnacle Studio 24, Adobe Lightroom.
Also there is a lot of Royalty free or low cost music around.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDude

KHAN!!! ?
Good programme. There is a free version with great features. Develoved by Black Magic design who make top end studio grade hardware but released a free version of Resolve to the amateur market. Just google Davinci Resolve or try this link.

DaVinci Resolve 17 | Blackmagic Design

Apart from camera settings and editing programmes, of which there are many different opinions, watch some YouTube videos. They are usually short duration, don’t stay on one scene or aspect very long and have good background music and/ or talk overs. It’s also good to incorporate some “B roll” footage.
About 10 sec shots before changing scenery etc. Try putting still photos with video, transitioning between scenes.
Before going out to fly think about what you want to achieve with the shoot, maybe do a short storybook plan.
Not many people want to sit and watch a 15 minute video of you just flying around, try to have a good context.
I recently did a video of an old re discovered graveyard behind a hospital (Garrawarra) in the bush. The hospital was used as a TB hospital in Australia. Thousands died over the years and buried and forgotten.
I found some early history, old photos, took camera shots of the run down hospital, graves, overgrown grounds then some drone shots. Put it together with a talk intro with background history and added “Knocking on heavens door” cover song by Raign with permission.
About 7 minutes long. Shots changed in time with beat of song.

So I downloaded the Movie Maker 10, and the DaVinci Resolve to start, I'll play with them both and see where it leads me. Thanks.

So I downloaded the Movie Maker 10, and the DaVinci Resolve to start, I'll play with them both and see where it leads me. Thanks.
Holler at me if you have any questions about Resolve. I will be more helpful to you while I am at my Resolve computer, which means daytime. ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000