DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vietnam Flight Regulations/Experience?

Yragorn

Reactions
Gonna have a trip to Vietnam in April. As far as I know, it is mandatory to obtain a permit from the DOD of Vietnam to be able to fly legally there.

Unfortunately, many users on other forums have stated they have not been able to successfully obtain any replies from them, so some of them decided to fly anyways with no consequences so far, as long as they ask local authorities passing by before the flight.

There was a story about an expatriate who was immediately deported after he accidentally flew over a government building, and another one who had to go to the police station for a few hours when he inadvertently flew over a military base in Ha Long Bay, but that's as much as I could gather from Google World.

Anybody here have a different experience, managed to fly in VN?

I flew a number of times over the holiday. I did not in major cities to as to not accidentally fly over a government building. In rural areas it was absolutely no issue and was met with intrigue by locals. Same common sense applies as flying anywhere else. Flying at sunrise in early morning also helped in not attracting attention.

As above I tried REALLY hard to get a formal letter of permission. The Vietnamese DOD referred me to the Vietnamese Embassy Defense Attache. Reaching out the the US Vietnamese Embassy was consistently met with no response.

Some of my footage:

Hoi An:

Phong Nha Khe Bang Park:

Halong Bay:

Hang En Cave:

I flew a number of times over the holiday. I did not in major cities to as to not accidentally fly over a government building. In rural areas it was absolutely no issue and was met with intrigue by locals. Same common sense applies as flying anywhere else. Flying at sunrise in early morning also helped in not attracting attention.

As above I tried REALLY hard to get a formal letter of permission. The Vietnamese DOD referred me to the Vietnamese Embassy Defense Attache. Reaching out the the US Vietnamese Embassy was consistently met with no response.

Some of my footage:

Hoi An:

Phong Nha Khe Bang Park:

Halong Bay:

Hang En Cave:

Very interesting videos! How many days did you stay in Ha Long bay? I was planning to take a cruise for 1 or 2 days, don't know which one is better or staying too long. Did you takeoff from the boat? And I've read that people suggested to put the drone's props in the checked luggage, separate from the drone itself to not attract attention from the customs officer in VN?

Very interesting videos! How many days did you stay in Ha Long bay? I was planning to take a cruise for 1 or 2 days, don't know which one is better or staying too long. Did you takeoff from the boat? And I've read that people suggested to put the drone's props in the checked luggage, separate from the drone itself to not attract attention from the customs officer in VN?

I did a 2 day one night trip in Ha Long - actually found a company that would take me up to Bai Tu Long bay which is slightly north and has far less tourist boat traffic. Take off from the boat is worthy of its own thread, many lessons learned, but thankfully didn't crash. Basically Mavic gets very confused with a moving boat. Worked best (safest) to take off and land when the boat was stopped, from the stern, into the wind, away from cables, etc. I booked a private boat to be able to facilitate all this coordination with the captain and crew. You might not be allowed to launch from a shared boat - depends on the company.

Pack the props however makes you feel good, but your batteries need to be in your checked baggage - signage was serious about that. I had my propped mavic go through a ton of xrays through China and internal flights in Vietnam, and absolutely no question. My laptop and chargers received more attention.

For Ha Long Bay take 2 nights if you can, if you make a tour coming from Hanoi.

1 night is quite short in regards to the 4 hours drive to and back.

It's pure awesomeness!

Hey - wondering if anyone can share more insight on bringing a drone into Vietnam. I haven't traveling with my Mavic before and I am concerned about it being seized at customs. I have read a lot of conflicting reports recently and am trying to get a clear understanding if it's safe to travel with my Mavic into Vietnam. Thnx!

Hey - wondering if anyone can share more insight on bringing a drone into Vietnam. I haven't traveling with my Mavic before and I am concerned about it being seized at customs. I have read a lot of conflicting reports recently and am trying to get a clear understanding if it's safe to travel with my Mavic into Vietnam. Thnx!

I had zero issue at customs - no one even looked at it, both at the major airports of Hanoi and HCMC, and at the smaller regional airports.

Just use common sense when flying - not in the major cities, not at the temples where there is security ( I asked a guard and he said no flying) - but it was embraced by the locals in the smaller villages, in the mountains, and in Ha Long Bay - folks had seen and were used to people flying there.

I had zero issue at customs - no one even looked at it, both at the major airports of Hanoi and HCMC, and at the smaller regional airports.

Just use common sense when flying - not in the major cities, not at the temples where there is security ( I asked a guard and he said no flying) - but it was embraced by the locals in the smaller villages, in the mountains, and in Ha Long Bay - folks had seen and were used to people flying there.
Thanks so much for the response! When were you in Vietnam? My plan is only to fly it while cruising Ha Long Bay and Bai Tu Long - I've already spoken with the cruise company and their photographer who using a drone as well so I feel comfortable using it without a permit but had found some blogs that highly advised again bring a drone, saying authorities were cracking down on drones and confiscating at airports if you didn't have a permit to fly

Thanks so much for the response! When were you in Vietnam? My plan is only to fly it while cruising Ha Long Bay and Bai Tu Long - I've already spoken with the cruise company and their photographer who using a drone as well so I feel comfortable using it without a permit but had found some blogs that highly advised again bring a drone, saying authorities were cracking down on drones and confiscating at airports if you didn't have a permit to fly

I was there in January of this year.

I'm curious as to the blogs that described the account above, What were they?

Haha well I flew in Ha Long bay with no issues, the crew was also curious. I spoke Vietnamese though so that probably helped me a lot.
Flew in Ha Long Bay, Hoi An, Phu Quoc, Sa Pa, Cat Ba (April 2017)

I did not dare fly in town though, I encountered a P4 user who said he flew his P4 in HCMC downtown.

No plans on flying mine in HCMC or Hanoi as I know it's not legal and don't want to run the risk of fines or prison. Most just want to take some great shots of Ha Long Bay and Bai Tu Long. Spoke to the owner of the junk I will be cruising, they own a 'fly-cam' and said it's not problem using in Ha Long Bay so I will luckily have someone on board happy to help.

As for the blog, I can't find the exact one that I was referring to, but here is one of the ones that I found advising against bringing a drone to Vietnam: Videographer & Drone Images | Vietnam | Hugo Leenhardt

In particular, it reads: "Update : Recent reports from various drone pilots indicate that bringing a foreign drone into Vietnam is getting increasingly difficult. This is to be confirmed over the next few months but your drone could be confiscated at the border. As of right now, I would not recommend bringing a drone in the country. Let me know in the comments if it was OK for you !"

Yragorn, your video is beautiful! I can't wait to get some footage myself! Sounds like you had no problems?

No plans on flying mine in HCMC or Hanoi as I know it's not legal and don't want to run the risk of fines or prison. Most just want to take some great shots of Ha Long Bay and Bai Tu Long. Spoke to the owner of the junk I will be cruising, they own a 'fly-cam' and said it's not problem using in Ha Long Bay so I will luckily have someone on board happy to help.

As for the blog, I can't find the exact one that I was referring to, but here is one of the ones that I found advising against bringing a drone to Vietnam: Videographer & Drone Images | Vietnam | Hugo Leenhardt

In particular, it reads: "Update : Recent reports from various drone pilots indicate that bringing a foreign drone into Vietnam is getting increasingly difficult. This is to be confirmed over the next few months but your drone could be confiscated at the border. As of right now, I would not recommend bringing a drone in the country. Let me know in the comments if it was OK for you !"

Yragorn, your video is beautiful! I can't wait to get some footage myself! Sounds like you had no problems?

Had no trouble at all, they didnt even flinch.

That's awesome to hear, I was fairly worried about it because I know the regulations are strict but wasn't sure about the enforcement, especially at customs.

That's awesome to hear, I was fairly worried about it because I know the regulations are strict but wasn't sure about the enforcement, especially at customs.

To add, when i passed customs, i removed the props and stored in my first aid bag, and the MP was in the dji carry bag, inside my day backpack. It probably helped me not getting attention from them.

Yeah I was planning on doing the same; props in my checked luggage and then my Mavic with the rest of my camera equipment in a case in my carry-on

Currently touring Vietnam at the moment. Had no problems being the Mavic in. Carried it with my camera kit, passed through scanners without issue. Did not fly in Hanoi due to NFZ, flew around Sapa and Halong Bay. The locals were all very interested in watching the footage. Don't intend flying in HCMC.

I had flown into HCMC airport with no issues with my Mavic Pro in August 2017. However upon my return from my visa run and flying into Nha Trang last week, my Mavic Pro was confiscated by customs. I have tried contacting the office that UAV Systems International has listed on their website... but emails and phone calls go unanswered.

If anyone has any information on the licensing requirements or the contacts for it... please PM me and post it in this thread.

Nha Trang?

So now they're confiscating them at 2 known airports?

Are all the other airports fine so far?

Nha Trang?

So now they're confiscating them at 2 known airports?

Are all the other airports fine so far?
I can only speak of HCMC and Nha Trang from personal experience.

I had one of my Vietnamese co-worker call the phone number that is listed on UAV Systems International and they told her that I would have to contact the US Embassy to inquire about the licensing requirements. I think it was lost in translation....

Hello everyone..

I did a lot if research and read lot of articles before flying to Vietnam with my Mavic pro.. head stories of drones getting confiscated at the Airport..

You actually need special permission to fly drones in Vietnam.. every flight need to be registered.. so i have decided to try writing an email to the authority.. and in few days i got the reply from the ministry of defence.
Dear Sir!
It is our pleasure to receive your letter. However, we do not have the right to answer your requirements in anyway. Please contact our Defense Attache’ in Vietnam Embassy in your country. They are responsible for helping your on those matters.
Your sincerely"
As I didn't had much time to arrange the necessary documents and appointments, I have decided to try my luck and travel with my mavic pro to Vietnam..

I started my tour from Frankfurt to Saigon ( HCMC) and arrived at the international terminal..

I have applied for an on arrival visa and spend about 20 mins for the visa.. directly to the security check up. Here they only controls your visa and passport.. no security check up or scanning for your carry on baggage. After visa check up I directly reached the baggage claim and then to the taxi area. So no one asked me or checked my baggage.. the people were very friendly.

Then i flew to Saigon to Phuquoc..
Here you have to remove and keep everything separate in the tray like laptops, camera , shoes etc..
Went through clean and everything was fine..

Back to Phuquoc >> saigon
No problem at all

After flew days I flew to Danang , my favourite city now and notories stories for drone confiscation..

Arrived at the domestic terminal >> and I also arrived at the time of APEC summit >> world leaders in Danang including Russian and US Presidents.. high security in city and airport loaded with black commandos and police.. I reached directly at the baggage claim and there was no security check up in arrival..

After few days also during Apec summit , I travelled to Hanoi from Danang domestic terminal. Everything same.. I left my check-in bag with my laptop , mavic pro and camera unopen and everything together in the bag.. removed my shoes and emptied my pocket. I came out clean and had no issues at security check up.. I should say the people here are so friendly and I love the people of Danang.. they help you with their whole heart and in all possible ways they can.. People in Danang are even well-known in other parts of the country for their helping mentality.. I am very touched.. I flew 2 times to different cities from Danang airport and never had a problem with my Mavic pro. I had made some amazing videos from phuquoc and Halong bay.. but i never flew my drone in the city or crowdy areas.. I recommend Vietnam for all of my fellow flyers as it's really beautiful and worth it.. the food is tasty, people are amazing..

Same with Hanoi and Saigon airports.. I only used domestic terminals inside Vietnam and HCMC international airport... now I will travel to India and heard drones are banned there.. will update my post after my travel

Please feel free to write me if you need any more info or assistance

This post is only for information purpose and my experience.. im not responsible for any loss nor guarantee that your drones won't get confiscated.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom