DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vifly strobe... new charging connection (USB-C vs Mini USB)!!!

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I've had a Vifly strobe that I've used for various things because it has to many options.. So I decided to order a second one. It came yesterday and I went to charge it... and the plug was USB-C rather than Mini USB. I was SO surprised. I do have USB-C stuff, as Mini 2's are now USB-C as is my iPad Mini 6. But I was really surprised to see a different connection. It's not such a big deal, but now I have to pay attention to which is which as I go to charge them.

Actually I like USB-c because it doesn't require a specific orientation. I just have to make sure I get the right cable.

SPEAKING OF DIFFERENT CABLES...
There are so many variations of cables in play these days and the only way to tell is to look at the ends. With old eyes that can be a bit of a challenge. So, in self defense, I have now color coded all my cables with colored electrical tape so that I can just look at the color and know. In addition, I've sorted each typ and put them in separate plastic bags, and color coded the bags. I guess I was done with searching for the right cable each time I needed to charge something.

...the only way to tell is to look at the ends. With old eyes that can be a bit of a challenge. So, in self defense, I have now color coded all my cables with colored electrical tape so that I can just look at the color and know.

I have done a similar thing when I flew my Spark.

The controller was rectangular shaped and not tapazoid like the cable.

A lot of pilots damaged the connection by plugging it in upside down.

20180729_182621.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Droniac
While the Vifly USB- charging will pose no problem (after I color code it, it reminds me of the connection chaos that we are currently in the midst of. Why do I characterize it as "chaos". I'll give you a great example of something that makes me nuts right now.

Apple:
Q1) If you were to go out right now and buy an iPhone 13, what charging connector would you use? A) A Lightning connector, of course. Q2) BUT, go buy a current iPad Mini and what would you need? A) USB-c. ... and that is CURRENT equipment. And so of course if I use my phone from either the Mini 2 or M2p, I would have to make sure I had a lightning connector available in my kit. Or vice versa, I'd have to make sure I had the USB-C in the appropriate length when using my iPad. BUT APPLE IS APPLE AND YOU WOULD THINK THAT THEY MIGHT HAVE THOUGHT THIS THROUGH? What they might have done is mid way between iPhone 13 and 14 they could have come out with iPhone 13s which featured USB-c to keep in line with the new iPads. You know that the iPhone 14's will be USB-c. While I could really stand to have a new phone, I am almost forced to wait for the iPhone 14... and if inflation is what it is, they'll price just like DJI, the sticker shock will be leaving you with that deer-in-the-headlights look.

Getting back to Vifly... The change to USB-c is really no big deal especially because they give you a short charging cable. It just surprised me. And FWIW, the Vifly are MUCH brighter than the smallest Firehouse Cree strobes. AND you can change color or strobe duration. What's great about that is that with these strobes you can match them or have them do different things. I have a bunch of Firehouse strobes, but they have no color options. So to get red and green I had to buy one red, one green... but then if I wanted clear I had to buy one of those too. The Vifly, in my estimation has the same relative output as the original Lume Cube at 500 lumens. No crystal case on the Vifly, which can help directionally, but hey- they're only $15USD each.

Reactions: Droniac
Where was this ordered from please.
Amazon. I have since ordered yet another one and it was also USB-C. I now have “the matched set” on the front arms of my Mini 2 set to red. The older one rides on the rear in green. While the fronts are mounted with elastic bands they fit in my cases and I never have to take them off for travel. I have a routine for back and bottom where I “park” them on top until after I get the mini 2 turned on and can place them where they’ll fly.

Amazon was the only one that clearly shows the c port change.

Amazon was the only one that clearly shows the c port change.
While I am not a fan of Jeff Bezos I use Amazon a lot. Of course getting stuff in 1-2 days without leaving home is a great benefit. But even better for me is the “free return” setup. I can drop off a return a few blocks from home and don’t even have to repackage it. And because I use Amazon so often, when I have a return I just have the refund posted to my Amazon account which is available in an hour or two. The amount of gas and time I’ve saved more than covers the cost of Amazon Prime.

While I am not a fan of Jeff Bezos I use Amazon a lot. Of course getting stuff in 1-2 days without leaving home is a great benefit. But even better for me is the “free return” setup. I can drop off a return a few blocks from home and don’t even have to repackage it. And because I use Amazon so often, when I have a return I just have the refund posted to my Amazon account which is available in an hour or two. The amount of gas and time I’ve saved more than covers the cost of Amazon Prime.
I agree that free returns with Amazon are welcome. Some of their vendors are flaky or have bad stuff. But they do have a LOT of drone equipment. They seem to sell everything DJI. I've gotten strange connectors from them. Once in a while I have a problem with shipping. I ordered the Mini 2 Fly More package, and it was suppose to be here in two days. It never arrived and all I got was "it's been shipped". More and more it seemed that it was lost in the ether, and they just wanted me to wait. But a man needs to have his drone. After a full week I finally took charge and cancelled the order, and immediately ordered it again. Then I got it two days later.

Then I wanted a micro USB adaptor for the DJI Osmo Pocket. I ordered one, not knowing it would be on a slow boat from China. Two weeks later it finally shipped, which for me meant it would be on that "slow boat". I found one from a respected vendor on Amazon who delivered in two days. THEN the one from China arrived. At least it came in a nice little box with room for four adaptors. Now I have Lightning, USB-C, and Micro USB just in case I need them.

Shipping can be strange. I even saw the US Postal Service's official truck delivering yesterday, a Sunday. There's a lot of competition out there.

Ken

That looks to be the micro USB connector, as on my old Galaxy S7 phone. It can only go in one way. I have a cable (ARTTR N) that comes with an adaptor attached to convert the cable to a USB C. It is USB A at the other end.

USB to Micro with adaptor.jpg

I can't imagine damaging the connectors by trying to plug it in the wrong way. It should be obvious when you first bring them together. I have it plugged in to charge my phone right now.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61