DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Virus from DJI website Downloads - This happened twice.

joeruby

Reactions
Last night I downloaded (to my desktop Win 10 PC) the DJI Assistant 2. I downloaded the .exe file directly, not the .zip. As it was installing, my antivirus software trapped two Trojans.

One was Trojan. GenericKD.32708823, and the other one was Trojan.GenericKD32708862. Boy was I surprised!

The next morning, I decided to download the same file, but the .zip one this time, and I did this on my Win 10 Laptop PC. I got the same two virus Trojans!

My BitDefender antivirus stopped them and removed them from both machines. The DJI Assistant 2 appears to work on both machines.

This is a "heads up" to look out. I have never had this happen before.

I think I am OK, but I just ordered the Mavic 2 Pro and it won't arrive for two more days, so I won't be able to use the DJI Assistant 2. I am still reading the manual 69 page manual. See the attachment.

Is there really a virus on the DJI download website for the Mavic 2?

Joe
KC7GHTvirus feom DJI.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Gindra
I would never say it's impossible, because this kind of thing can and does happen. However in this case I doubt that it is actually a virus. The problem with all "signature based" anti-virus programs is that you will occasionally get false positives because a file looks like one of the signatures it is set to detect. That is what I'm thinking here especially because the virus descriptions are both GenericKD... instead of a specific well-known virus.

If I ran into this issue I would run the file through a different trusted anti-virus program just to see if it triggers.

I just downloaded the latest version (2.0.10) EXE to have a look. I went through the full installation and got zero virus warnings. I ran it after installation and got zero warnings. It looks safe to me. FYI, I am running Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Business on my PC. It could just be that Bit Defender is getting a false positive.

Thank you so much for the information.
Bit Defender quarantine the files and then I deleted them. Now the question is will the DJI Assistant 2 still work OK?

Now the question is will the DJI Assistant 2 still work OK?
If it doesn't, temporarily disable Bit Defender and reinstall DJI Assistant 2.

Reactions: Thomas B
Last time DJI had a problem with Assistant, it wasn't a virus but rather the organization providing the app signature certificate to DJI (and likely others) had revoked it. Windows won't allow use of revoked certificates.

Reactions: Gindra
A lot of people have posted about this issue in the past. There hasn't been a legit virus yet though.

Reactions: Bobvt and JAW
Bit Defender is one of the better AV products but does produce false positives. Ultimately its falsely detecting the application and/or packaging they use on the EXE as potentially malicious even when its not.

Last time DJI had a problem with Assistant, it wasn't a virus but rather the organization providing the app signature certificate to DJI (and likely others) had revoked it. Windows won't allow use of revoked certificates.

DJI themselves revoked keys a year or two ago when they were clever enough to leave the private keys on a public github repo for months on end until someone told them.

You can use revoked certs on windows but it does involve rebooting with extra options so isnt simple or trivial. Most people wont/cant do it.

Reactions: Martin_D
Last night I downloaded (to my desktop Win 10 PC) the DJI Assistant 2. I downloaded the .exe file directly, not the .zip. As it was installing, my antivirus software trapped two Trojans.

One was Trojan. GenericKD.32708823, and the other one was Trojan.GenericKD32708862. Boy was I surprised!

The next morning, I decided to download the same file, but the .zip one this time, and I did this on my Win 10 Laptop PC. I got the same two virus Trojans!

My BitDefender antivirus stopped them and removed them from both machines. The DJI Assistant 2 appears to work on both machines.

This is a "heads up" to look out. I have never had this happen before.

I think I am OK, but I just ordered the Mavic 2 Pro and it won't arrive for two more days, so I won't be able to use the DJI Assistant 2. I am still reading the manual 69 page manual. See the attachment.

Is there really a virus on the DJI download website for the Mavic 2?

Joe
KC7GHTView attachment 86270
are you sure you are on the dji site and not a secondary site offering the app for download?

same issue, rejected suspect files and continued with the install and the software works just fine...

may very well be a cert/signature issue and also due to the server origin being in china

I have no doubt that these so called virus programs you require on a PC occasionally post completely fake results to con you into thinking they actually work. I bought my first Mac 13 years ago, never has a virus or any other problem since. Expensive but worth every single penny.

Bit Defender is one of the better AV products but does produce false positives. Ultimately its falsely detecting the application and/or packaging they use on the EXE as potentially malicious even when its not.

DJI themselves revoked keys a year or two ago when they were clever enough to leave the private keys on a public github repo for months on end until someone told them.

You can use revoked certs on windows but it does involve rebooting with extra options so isnt simple or trivial. Most people wont/cant do it.
I used a utility to strip the signature.

I had a similar problem with DJIs Flight Simulator. It wanted to install the files in the Program Files directory which resulted in the virus notices. The problem was solved when I had the installation routine install the files in the Program Files (x86) directory.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143