DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vision Sensor Calibration M2 Pro, a few considerations.

Paul2660

Reactions
After updated Go 4 on my smart controller to the latest version, I received the “abnormal” error in red on my vision sensors. Pretty sure there was nothing wrong with them and that this is a timer issue built into the software, however not a fam of red ! so I went ahead with the proces.. Just wanted to pass on a few notes as this is not as clear cut as I would have liked.

1. I used a MacPro, Assistant 2 for Mavic (latest version).
2. The first time I tried to start the calibration, I went through all the tutorial steps, but the actual “calibration” was greyed out. So after restarting the process a few time, I went into the firmware option and noticed that I had a firmware inconsistency error. I found this odd, as the Drone was updated over a month ago, and so was the battery, all via Smart Controller. The update was for the drone firmware (I base this on the time it took) so once again, I was current, Assistant 2 for Mavic said was wasn’t and would not allow the calibration until I did the update.
3. Once in the process it’s key not to move the drone from a centered area. The video I watched which was excellent, stated to make your hand as if you are using a Ball head on a tripod. On a first calibration of the bottom vision sensor, I got an aircraft movement error, it seems if you get this all bets are off and you have to start all over again. At least I never could get the process to get past the error. If you have to start over you have to power off drone, and close down the Mavic Assistant.
4. When I started the 3 calibration step, which is the rear sensors, each time I attempted to move the drone to show the sensors, the calibration screen minimized and process hung. It took me a few attempts to realize that what was happening is the USB-C cable was moving just so slightly and thus making a quick disconnect with Assistant software. The cable is long enough, but it’s stiff and connection port is not that solid on my drone. So I ended up taping the port to the Drone, note be careful not to cover a vision port. After this was done you still have to start all over, but I did get through.
5. On the last calibration setup, side sensors, the process seemingly froze, not the same error as “aircraft movement”, and I realized that if you slightly move the box around, you can eventually get it back to the correct location on the calibration screen on the monitor. This happened on both side sensor calibrations. Also, again note on the side that that USB port is on, you have to really really be careful not to nudge the cable at all or your might again get a disconnect.
6. Once process is done, you get a screen telling you the calibration is being calculated. This take a few minutes, then you get the circle with green Check. System asks you to restart aircraft. You can’t go back, like with the firmware completion screen. I was a bit concerned about this as I did not want to go through it all again. However on restarting drone and bringing up Go 4 Vision system “Abnormal” error was gone.

This is not a process I would want to have to do on a weekly basis, and hope this calibration holds for a while.

Note, I was not having any issues at all with flight of drone, and error only came up with latest version of Go 4 on Smart Controller, which I had held off updating for a bit.

Paul C

After updated Go 4 on my smart controller to the latest version, I received the “abnormal” error in red on my vision sensors. Pretty sure there was nothing wrong with them and that this is a timer issue built into the software, however not a fam of red ! so I went ahead with the proces.. Just wanted to pass on a few notes as this is not as clear cut as I would have liked.

1. I used a MacPro, Assistant 2 for Mavic (latest version).
2. The first time I tried to start the calibration, I went through all the tutorial steps, but the actual “calibration” was greyed out. So after restarting the process a few time, I went into the firmware option and noticed that I had a firmware inconsistency error. I found this odd, as the Drone was updated over a month ago, and so was the battery, all via Smart Controller. The update was for the drone firmware (I base this on the time it took) so once again, I was current, Assistant 2 for Mavic said was wasn’t and would not allow the calibration until I did the update.
3. Once in the process it’s key not to move the drone from a centered area. The video I watched which was excellent, stated to make your hand as if you are using a Ball head on a tripod. On a first calibration of the bottom vision sensor, I got an aircraft movement error, it seems if you get this all bets are off and you have to start all over again. At least I never could get the process to get past the error. If you have to start over you have to power off drone, and close down the Mavic Assistant.
4. When I started the 3 calibration step, which is the rear sensors, each time I attempted to move the drone to show the sensors, the calibration screen minimized and process hung. It took me a few attempts to realize that what was happening is the USB-C cable was moving just so slightly and thus making a quick disconnect with Assistant software. The cable is long enough, but it’s stiff and connection port is not that solid on my drone. So I ended up taping the port to the Drone, note be careful not to cover a vision port. After this was done you still have to start all over, but I did get through.
5. On the last calibration setup, side sensors, the process seemingly froze, not the same error as “aircraft movement”, and I realized that if you slightly move the box around, you can eventually get it back to the correct location on the calibration screen on the monitor. This happened on both side sensor calibrations. Also, again note on the side that that USB port is on, you have to really really be careful not to nudge the cable at all or your might again get a disconnect.
6. Once process is done, you get a screen telling you the calibration is being calculated. This take a few minutes, then you get the circle with green Check. System asks you to restart aircraft. You can’t go back, like with the firmware completion screen. I was a bit concerned about this as I did not want to go through it all again. However on restarting drone and bringing up Go 4 Vision system “Abnormal” error was gone.

This is not a process I would want to have to do on a weekly basis, and hope this calibration holds for a while.

Note, I was not having any issues at all with flight of drone, and error only came up with latest version of Go 4 on Smart Controller, which I had held off updating for a bit.

Paul C
I had to do the vision sensor adjustment after the update also...went just fine

I didn't have to do a vision sensor calibration, but my M2Z did act strange mid flight with video feed and other downlink data, as well as unusual but not drastic height drift. I was testing my batteries at the time with hovering.
On restart, I got a firmware inconsistent which was not battery related.

I have also had a few "firmware inconsistent" messages, when I bought a preowned Smart controller. However, after shutting down and restarting, it usually goes away and it does fly fine. I have not recently had any error messages thank goodness, however, from reading the OP's notes, it reconfirms my thought of NEVER updating, if all systems are working. I have not updated anything from the day I bought the 2 Pro over a year ago, and I never have a problem, thankfully.

You're missing out on Precision Landing and probably other enhancements originally left out of the M2 when released.

You're missing out on Precision Landing and probably other enhancements originally left out of the M2 when released.
I always land manually so never need precision landing, since I can nail it each time within inches of the take off. I understand there may be some other features now included but up to now, I have not missed any of them, so may not currently need them. I much prefer, at the moment anyway, to have less functions and features (that I'm not yet missing), and absolutely NO problems with the aircraft or smart controller. I'm not that technically minded, when it comes to all the firmware stuff to check and adjust, and with no one around to help me, it frightens me to think I could be in a situation like the OP and have no idea what to do to get it back working again.

Well, I have the aircraft movement error and I can't get past it! Hell, I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it would help. I to got the dreaded red error on visioning sensors. Short of building a mount for a tripod I can't move it without getting the aircraft movement error. SO its the update. I just want the bird back up in the air! BTW I'm using the latest assistant 2, with a Macbook Pro, I've tried my larger screen (adjusted the resolution accordingly) and I've tried the Macbook screen, batteries are all good cords are up to snuff.

I must add I tried it the first time on my big screen TV via Apple TV airplay. I can hear the laughter. It seemed reasonable until I decided to read the instructions. Nonetheless, it went through the whole process and in the very end it wanted to know the screen size and resolution I entered it and well here I am bird in hand probably too tired to try any more attempts. Tonight the machines win! F%$#@ing DJI Updates just when you think it's safe to go back into the water...

I have a 24 I’ll try this morning. I mean what else do I have to do all day. Lol I’ll set the resolution to 1080p see what’s what.

Just a thought, you may have already watched the video from DJI but the key is not moving the drone around, instead holding it centered and just angling it around the screen. If you move it at all off of center, the process will fail. It took me about 3 tries to get the process to complete as there are about 3 or 4 total calibrations that have to be done. I used a 30" NEC monitor with high res, no problems there. Once you see the blue lines to move the drone into the range of the calibration then it's just a matter of angling it around the calibration steps, but not moving the drone up or down or to the side.

Paul C

Reactions: Thomas B
Just a thought, you may have already watched the video from DJI but the key is not moving the drone around, instead holding it centered and just angling it around the screen. If you move it at all off of center, the process will fail. It took me about 3 tries to get the process to complete as there are about 3 or 4 total calibrations that have to be done. I used a 30" NEC monitor with high res, no problems there. Once you see the blue lines to move the drone into the range of the calibration then it's just a matter of angling it around the calibration steps, but not moving the drone up or down or to the side.

Paul C
...and you have to work briskly or you’ll have to start over. Has taken me several tries on multiple occasions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett