DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vision Sensor Calibration

rbtmckny

Reactions
I noticed the other day on my status page when I first turn on the Smart Controller, at the top right next to Firmware it says in red 'Abnormal'. I touch it and a message comes up that recommends I do a Vision Sensor calibration. Everything with my Mavic 2 is normal or good. I have tried to do a calibration with DJI Assistant 2. I go thru the calibration steps, but when I get to the Calculating page nothing happens. There is a message 'calibrating Information collected', but the progress bar stays at 0%. I have tried 4 times. Did a Mavic 2 Firmware refresh. I tried to do a Quick Calibration, but when I touch the sensor icon in the status bar, I get my sensor page and it says everything is working like it should. In P mode my side sensors are disabled and in Tripod all sensors are active. I don't see how to do a quick calibration, I thought if calibration was needed a Calibration Tool would pop-up.
Can anyone help me out?

Sensor calibration is done while connected to your computer thru DJI Assistant 2. It will display a graphic on your screen that you will point your Mavic sensor at and it will guide you thru the process for each sensor.

I found out what the problem was. I was using the wrong version of DJI assistant 2. I was using the old version from my Mavic Pro. Stupid me! Downloaded the correct version and the calibration worked perfect! Wasted half a day on this. DJI Support told me to I would have to send the Drone back. Glad I did some more investigating.

I got the same error message just a couple of days ago on my m2p smart controller! Everything seems to be working fine when flying. I went through the DJI Assistant 2 vision sensor calibration several times and each time after completing the process, it gets to the update/finish page and gets to 100% and then it says that the Calibration Failed! What is going on? I have latest firmware and I think the latest version of Assistant as far as I know. I contacted dji tech support and they said send it in for repair! This seems like a waste to me but does anyone have any thoughts on this or experience with this error message? The calibration process is a pain in the a** to say the least. I thought there was some way to do a field sensor calibration but so far I haven't figured that out either. I used my desktop with a good sized screen and holding the m2p and rotating it on each set of sensors without grabbing the camera gimbal is tough. Also when doing the one side sensor and having to fold the rear legs is a bear since the one leg folds down onto the cable attaching the m2p to the computer! Another difficult if not possibly damaging procedure.

Last edited:
I finally used an older monitor with 16:9 format and it worked! My bigger, curved hi-res monitor did not work for calibration. It failed every time. The monitor size/format is key if you ask me. There is another similar thread with the same conclusion.

First response from dji tech support was: "I'm sorry to know that the issue still persists, In this case, I would recommend sending it for repair."
Second response from dji tech support was: "First of all, I would like to apologize if changing the screen size was not advised to you right away." This was after I told them that I figured it out thanks to forum posts!

I'm starting to talk like the Chinese after reading so many of their emails!:oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: dawgpilot
Switching to a lap top strangely did the job. Something about the screen size must do it.

Reactions: dawgpilot
This is my experience with calibrating the vision sensors. I have Assistant 2 installed on a 2018 iMac. Got the vision sensor warning on my Mavic 2 pro and watched a video on how to do the process. Spent a few hours trying to get past the “calibrating information collected” but the processing would not budge from 0%. I continued to Google the problem and it appeared to have something to do with the display ratio. I went through the process again about 4 times using different ratios on the monitor. I was really getting pissed off and got the bright idea of using a PC. Downloaded the Assistant 2 software, went through the tedious calibrating process and voila! It completed the process and within seconds finished the calibration. I don’t know if this will help anyone but it saved me from ripping all the legs off of the Mavic and throwing it in the furnace!
I love the forum and if I can help anyone it would be my way to give back for all the info and tips and entertainment that I get from here. I’m a 64 year old woman that doesn’t have anyone to help me out so this forum has been an invaluable tool. I’ve been a photographer for years and had no idea how much fun it would be to fly a drone. It’s been an interesting journey. I started out with a Phantom 3 standard, went on to buy a Spark for fun and now my main squeeze is a Mavic 2 pro. Got my Part 107 this spring and have been selling some photos and panoramic canvases. Wishing everyone a happy safe time with their drones!

This is my experience with calibrating the vision sensors. I have Assistant 2 installed on a 2018 iMac. Got the vision sensor warning on my Mavic 2 pro and watched a video on how to do the process. Spent a few hours trying to get past the “calibrating information collected” but the processing would not budge from 0%. I continued to Google the problem and it appeared to have something to do with the display ratio. I went through the process again about 4 times using different ratios on the monitor. I was really getting pissed off and got the bright idea of using a PC. Downloaded the Assistant 2 software, went through the tedious calibrating process and voila! It completed the process and within seconds finished the calibration. I don’t know if this will help anyone but it saved me from ripping all the legs off of the Mavic and throwing it in the furnace!
I love the forum and if I can help anyone it would be my way to give back for all the info and tips and entertainment that I get from here. I’m a 64 year old woman that doesn’t have anyone to help me out so this forum has been an invaluable tool. I’ve been a photographer for years and had no idea how much fun it would be to fly a drone. It’s been an interesting journey. I started out with a Phantom 3 standard, went on to buy a Spark for fun and now my main squeeze is a Mavic 2 pro. Got my Part 107 this spring and have been selling some photos and panoramic canvases. Wishing everyone a happy safe time with their drones!
There's "Assistant 2" and then there's "Assistant 2 for Mavic". Only Assistant 2 for Mavic works to calibrate the Mavic 2 drones. Maybe you downloaded the correct version for PC, but were trying to use the wrong version on the Mac.

Congrats on actually earning some money with your drone and conquering the software issue(s). I've read a few thread where monitor resolution apparently makes a difference and folks have sometimes had better luck with pc laptops that desktop monitors. The process should not be that finicky or carefully explain what resolution/ratio it requires.

I have used an old iMac and a 5k iMac to calibrate sensors, never been an issue as long as you use the correct version of Assistant.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest