DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Visiting Australia Feb, 2023

Hauptmann

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Planning to visit Australia in Feb 2023 and flying my drone recreationally. Would I be better off flying my Mavic 2 Pro (which I own) , or getting a new Mini 3 Pro? I plan on upgrading to the Mini 3 Pro anyway in the near future. Is there an advantage regulation-wise to fly a sub 250 gram drone in Australia? Do I need a permit or insurance for either?

Reactions: 4006448
Hi Hauptmann,
No advantages as yet to sub 250g here.
There are no recreational requirement for drone or pilot regulation as yet, now supposedly mid 2023, but it keeps getting shifted forward (!), and no insurance requirement.

https://www.casa.gov.au/knowyourdrone/accreditation

Jut follow the drone rules most of our countries share similarly with minor exceptions.

https://www.casa.gov.au/knowyourdrone/drone-rules

The apps we have for airspace zones are good to know and download . . . one or more of those as you see fit.
Probably OpenSky, OK2Fly, and Airmap are the most handy for rec pilots here . . .

National Parks and other such are off limits in most states, Queensland, Western Australia, and the Northern Territory are exceptions, where you can fly freely under CASA rules in the first 2, and with an easy, free permit system for the NT.

Watch out for local council / city bylaws (ordinances), many in cities and larger regional towns don't allow model aircraft flight from land under their authority . . . but usually these are buried in their online bylaws (if you can find them at all !), and there aren't usually 'no drone' signs to be found at most parks I know of around the country.
So with caution you can fly where you see fit, I avoid people, go to obscure parts of open parks to fly when testing things etc, and have never had a problem.
If going to really popular parks in the big eastern seaboard cities, you might find more signage here and there.

Enjoy your trip . . . first time here ?
If you post up your rough plan, there might be some tips to other points Aussies can offer in the various states you might be visiting.

The one advantage is you can fly within 5.5km of controlled airspace. Maybe not a huge deal but for some areas it opens up a couple more places to fly.

Good point, and that's true with CASA regs . . . but not sure if the DJI Geo Safe Map allows it ?
Maybe it does recognise the drone category and type being flown and allow sub 250g.

Reactions: Hauptmann
depends on where you are, some places it just a tick in the box to state you are aware of where you are. We use sub250 at our site which is just inside Brisbane 5.5km and DJI does not lock us out.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S