DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Visual Positioning System (VPS) and Obstacle Avoidance

EM1205

Reactions
1) When is the correct time to ON or OFF the VPS and why? What is the function of VPS?
2) Why does some say that the horizontal obstacle avoidance should be off? I am confuse, isn't it that obstacle avoidance should be turned on at all times (of course not for sports mode).
Thank you.

Reactions: bri808
The aircraft cannot avoid obstructions during RTH when the Forward Vision
System is disabled.

So if its turned off and you loose connection to the drone and you are unable to re connect you may not get it back at all if the RTH height is not set high enough to avoid anything in its RTH path.

This is from the Manual ...

On page 16 at the top under RTH Safety Notices it says:

"The aircraft cannot avoid obstructions during RTH when the Forward Vision
System is disabled. Therefore, it is important to set a suitable Failsafe altitude
before each flight. Launch the DJI GO app and enter “Camera” and tap
to set the Failsafe altitude."

Last edited:
Reactions: EM1205
I think the OP is asking about VPS not FVS. (not sure though)

What is the function of VPS?
Per the Mavic manual:

VPS.png

When is the correct time to ON or OFF the VPS and why?
It's best to keep it on as long as it's not causing any stability problems. VPS does not work well in some scenarios, so you might find that you need to disable it sometimes. For example:

VPS2.png

isn't it that obstacle avoidance should be turned on at all times
You should keep these enabled as long as they are not preventing your Mavic from flying forward when there are no obstacles ahead. For example, some people mentioned their Mavics would stop flying forward when flying toward the sun when it's low in the sky. In a scenario like that, you will have to disable the front sensors if you're facing that issue.

Reactions: EM1205
Per the Mavic manual:

View attachment 1833

It's best to keep it on as long as it's not causing any stability problems. VPS does not work well in some scenarios, so you might find that you need to disable it sometimes. For example:

View attachment 1834

You should keep these enabled as long as they are not preventing your Mavic from flying forward when there are no obstacles ahead. For example, some people mentioned their Mavics would stop flying forward when flying toward the sun when it's low in the sky. In a scenario like that, you will have to disable the front sensors if you're facing that issue.

Wow. Thanks for the explanation. Ask again:
1) Can the VPS be turned on or off during the flight? Example if the mavic is flying over the water in which the VPS is turned off then suddenly will I want to fly it higher away from the water. Can I turn on the VPS along the way?
2) Regarding OA, are you referring to Horizontal OA and Forward Obstacle Sensing (Stereo Vision Snesors)? Should these 2 functions be turned on? I heard that the earlier needs to be turned off and the latter to be turned on? Is that correct?

Can the VPS be turned on or off during the flight?
Yes.

Regarding OA, are you referring to Horizontal OA and Forward Obstacle Sensing (Stereo Vision Snesors)? Should these 2 functions be turned on?
Read the description for the sensors when enabling/disabling those settings in DJI GO. Use the settings that will work best for your flying conditions and/or skill level.

Should you always turn VPS off when flying over water or just if you are flying below a certain altitude?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Unless you're flying lower than about 42 feet, it won't matter since VPS won't be able to detect the ground.

Reactions: kmaluo
The other issue is battery life. Remember with OA on you cut down on flight speed. So if you are running low on power and need more speed. Disable the OA so you can get it back quicker.

The other issue is battery life. Remember with OA on you cut down on flight speed. So if you are running low on power and need more speed. Disable the OA so you can get it back quicker.

More speed doesn't mean more distance. There will be power issues that dictate what is the optimal speed to achieve the maximum distance, subject to ambient conditions. For example a strong headwind may demand optimal power to get back home, but favourable winds could double your distance with less power. In Zero wind conditions, like a motor vehicle, the longest distance you could achieve from a tank of fuel would be greater at 56mph than it would at 100mph. If you only have a relatively short journey then go full speed if you like, but if you want to get the greatest distance you can out of a tank of fuel, you will get better MPG at a lesser speed (tortoise and the hare).

Have a question about the avoidance system, I was attempting to remove the gibbal for a repair when I somehow, like an idiot tore the flat ribbon cable on the right when looking down on the drone an standing at the tail end of it.. unbelievable ‍♂️. Question would be is it possible to fly for the time being without it connected, the cable on the right? I do understand what I'm turning off to an extent. Idk if that's for the forward facing or for the bottom. Anyhow just curious if anyone had any idea. Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada