DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

vivid collection

kakao

Reactions
Please take a look at the photo. It was taken with ND16.

I think I positioned the lens properly, but still the glare is unbearable.

Thoughts?

ZMypuXq.jpg

A ND filter will not cut glare.
A Polarized ND filter (ND-PL) will do as long as you put it in the right orientation...
May be you didn't choose the proper orientation...

Pl filters have to be set correctly(rotated)in relation to the sun position.So when u set it on the ground the Mavic has to be in that same angle in the air for it to be effective.For that reason I just got the ND filter set.

Are you shooting in Manual? if you leave it in Auto, the filter will have no effect as it will just try to increase the ISO and shutter speed to try to achieve an even exposure.

You should Manually set those values so that the image isn't so bright. It's easier to bring up the exposure later and keep the details than it is to pull them back from a blown-out image.

Reactions: maverickau
This thread is not about brightness or ISO, bur Polar Pro filter that doesn't cut the glare, despite being installed properly, to its best position to cut the same.

Thoughts please ..?!

Rotate the ND/PL filter 180° to block light from below, and try again. Only with a second image to view for comparison can we move forward on the assumption that you were blocking light from the proper angle. Also, go into the EXIM data for the original photo, and verify your EV exposure setting. This looks to be overexposed, but it is hard to tell.

Iit is an ND16PL filter indeed.
NDPL works best at 90 deg from the sun, looks like you are facing the sun so less effect but it should cut glare (to a certain amount).

Once the filter was in position on the lens, did you try to rotate the filter and check the glare reduction effect on the phone?
You can also check the proper (best) orientation by looking through the filter, in the direction you will shoot, and find the orientation where the color are best saturated/glare less visible by rotating the filter.
Then place the filter on the lens in the exact same position (angle).

I've used some NDPL and can say it does make difference, but I have sometime "vignetage" in the sky (edge darker blue).

For testing the polarized effect, you can just leave the camera on Auto.

I have the same filters and they are hard to position correctly. First you need to rotate the filter to find the correct horizontal position. An easy way to do this is to wear polarized sunglasses while looking through the filter on a sunny day in the direction of the sun (not at the sun). Then rotate the filter until the light through it is the darkest. Mark the filter rim at the 3 or 9 o'clock position. Point that mark towards where you estimate the sun will be when photographing and install.

If you look through two pairs of polarized sunglasses with one rotated 90 degrees you will see what I am talking about.

I have the same filters and they are hard to position correctly. First you need to rotate the filter to find the correct horizontal position. An easy way to do this is to wear polarized sunglasses while looking through the filter on a sunny day in the direction of the sun (not at the sun). Then rotate the filter until the light through it is the darkest. Mark the filter rim at the 3 or 9 o'clock position. Point that mark towards where you estimate the sun will be when photographing and install.

If you look through two pairs of polarized sunglasses with one rotated 90 degrees you will see what I am talking about.

Mossiback is right but your polarizer will only reduce a certain amount of glare looking straight towards The Sun. If you positioned your Mavic at 90 degree angle to The Sun would have been a lot better. Obviously you would have to compose your shot differently though and might not get what you wanted to shoot. When I'm shooting over water I usually try and shoot when The Sun is low and behind my drone and then there will be little to no glare.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada