DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

VLOS Question

muchuckwagon

Reactions
My experience in the hobby has been limited to my MA2. You quickly learn not to fly over 400 ft high, over crowds or beyond VLOS. I recently started looking at some AR wing gliders (made of EPP) and noticed many are being flown long range (beyond VLOS) and in some cases autonomously In YouTube videos.

Is this legal in the United States? If so, what allows these wing gliders to be flown beyond VLOS but not drones? I ask not because I’m trying to make the case for flying my drone beyond VLOS, I’m interested in potentially long range flights with a glider.

Reactions: aeciolemos
My experience in the hobby has been limited to my MA2. You quickly learn not to fly over 400 ft high, over crowds or beyond VLOS. I recently started looking at some AR wing gliders (made of EPP) and noticed many are being flown long range (beyond VLOS) and in some cases autonomously In YouTube videos.

Is this legal in the United States? If so, what allows these wing gliders to be flown beyond VLOS but not drones? I ask not because I’m trying to make the case for flying my drone beyond VLOS, I’m interested in potentially long range flights with a glider.
You may request to fly specific drone operations not allowed under part 107 by requesting an operational waiver. These waivers allow drone pilots to deviate from certain rules under part 107 by demonstrating they can still fly safely using alternative methods.

Would think the gliders would fall under same rules as drones, esp since most are powered like drones are! They should be considered "UAV's" just like a drone.

Yet, as we are all well aware - even some posting here on this forum - many people think VLOS does not apply to them. Maybe their "rationale" is, "well the drone manufacturers make them to fly 3-6 miles out, so why can't I fly that distance too!"

Many videos (on social media / YouTube / etc) (and posts here) do show the direct flaunting on VLOS and other rules each pilot - rec or commercial - are to abide by. VLOS is a tough rule to abide by for sure - depending in where you live and or fly. Is it fair - not really; but when are most government rules ever fair or takes into consideration many, many factors when flying a drone / UAV. Case in point - if I take off and fly from my backyard - I'd have maybe a 200 ft radius to fly in due to trees. Yet, I can safely fly outside of that and not be near people, houses, etc that if the drone happened to crash could harm. Yet, the FAA does not take any of that into consideration (or seems not) when making rules / policy. I do get they cannot cover every single flying situation either. Thus why VLOS is a HOT TOPIC. I think the farthest I've even flown my drone if between 1/4 to 1/2 mile out with spotters next to me; but some like to take it too far and go way beyond that. Some use strobes, which may or may not help; while claiming they can see them way beyond 1/2 mile. Maybe they can, maybe not; so not debating the issue. Most know the rules and with TRUST, they have no reason to say they do not - as it is a part of the test. If someone can fly "safely" past 1/2 mile; then it's their call.

I really don’t know why this is such a contentious issue. People who routinely speed in their cars - and yes everyone here does or has done - suddenly get worked up about VLOS. I don’t get it. It’a up to the pilot to decide what they want to do. Break the law, and there may be consequences. Speeders encourage governments to lower limits and put cameras. Drone flyers may well cause more restrictions. This is how the world work.

Reactions: masist
Would think the gliders would fall under same rules as drones, esp since most are powered like drones are! They should be considered "UAV's" just like a drone.

Yet, as we are all well aware - even some posting here on this forum - many people think VLOS does not apply to them. Maybe their "rationale" is, "well the drone manufacturers make them to fly 3-6 miles out, so why can't I fly that distance too!"

Many videos (on social media / YouTube / etc) (and posts here) do show the direct flaunting on VLOS and other rules each pilot - rec or commercial - are to abide by. VLOS is a tough rule to abide by for sure - depending in where you live and or fly. Is it fair - not really; but when are most government rules ever fair or takes into consideration many, many factors when flying a drone / UAV. Case in point - if I take off and fly from my backyard - I'd have maybe a 200 ft radius to fly in due to trees. Yet, I can safely fly outside of that and not be near people, houses, etc that if the drone happened to crash could harm. Yet, the FAA does not take any of that into consideration (or seems not) when making rules / policy. I do get they cannot cover every single flying situation either. Thus why VLOS is a HOT TOPIC. I think the farthest I've even flown my drone if between 1/4 to 1/2 mile out with spotters next to me; but some like to take it too far and go way beyond that. Some use strobes, which may or may not help; while claiming they can see them way beyond 1/2 mile. Maybe they can, maybe not; so not debating the issue. Most know the rules and with TRUST, they have no reason to say they do not - as it is a part of the test. If someone can fly "safely" past 1/2 mile; then it's their call.
The TRUST test was nothing more than another idea that does not really help.
As this test was made to pass no matter what,and how are you suppose to learn
anything.Yes i took it,but everyone who flies should have known about the rules already.

Reactions: Captain J Case
The TRUST test was nothing more than another idea that does not really help.
As this test was made to pass no matter what,and how are you suppose to learn
anything.Yes i took it,but everyone who flies should have known about the rules already.

It was designed to EXPOSE UAS operators to the most basic rules and even though you don't feel like it has a purpose it does EXACTLY that. At the very least you've seen the rules at least once so you can no longer declare ignorance as an excuse for breaking the rules going forward.

Reactions: slozukimc
Yes, TRUST type tests / basic 'licenses' merely show you passed the rules knowledge and know what's right / wrong.
If / when a pilot breaks a rule(s), over time or exposed through an incident, then authorities can prosecute and ignorance can play no part in a defense.
Often "I didn't know !" results in some seriously light sentencing / fines.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser