DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Voyages of Exploration by drone series

Korrd

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
I've been working on making better videos since I got my hands on my first drone. I've begun compiling those vids on several playlists.
This one deals with long flights where I explore different parts of the cities I visit.

I welcome any and all constructive criticism, as the idea behind this thread is to understand how to improve them, and also how to grow my channel.

Cheers

I also made this other playlist, composed of shorter, more focused videos that shows highlights instead of whole flights, as most ppl ain't interested on super-long drone videos with metrics and stuff

Let me know what you think. Videos on this one are under 5-minutes long.

I welcome any and all constructive criticism, as the idea behind this thread is to understand how to improve them, and also how to grow my channel.
You have released 16 videos on YouTube over the last 10 months and you have a total of 42 subscribers. That usually means that the quality of your videos is low, so the best way to grow your channel is to improve the QUALITY of your videos. “Content is king!”

To improve the QUALITY of your videos I would recommend that you
1. Keep your clips short (4-6 secs each)
2. Use cinematic filming techniques (reveals, top downs, etc)
3. Vary the height of your drone (from 10 feet to 300 feet)
4. Film in good lighting (sunny days, in Golden Hour, etc)
5. Film for multiple days in each location, if you have time, rather than just 1 day.
6. Be ruthless in editing and throw away 90% of your original footage

For a practical example, watch both of the below videos of the Amalfi Coast. The first is your video. The second is high QUALITY video that correctly applies all SIX guidelines listed above.

Can you see the difference?

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Liked the chance to see the Hipodromo Argentino de Palermo. It looked like you were pretty close to Jorge Newbery airport but ...I'm sure you knew that.
I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to find my way home if I took off from a location like that :)
thanks for posting

Thanks. I'll bear those tips in mind for my next vid!

Liked the chance to see the Hipodromo Argentino de Palermo. It looked like you were pretty close to Jorge Newbery airport but ...I'm sure you knew that.
I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to find my way home if I took off from a location like that :)
thanks for posting
Yeah. The reason I did fly so close to the Airport is because it is currently closed and undergoing extensive maintenance.
Namely, they are extending the landing strip & adding a new terminal, among other things. Only the Ezeiza Airport is serving the city of Buenos Aires right now. Otherwise, I would have stayed well away.

In fact, since it will remain closed for several months, I'm planning to go there again and photograph it while it is being expanded. I'm intrigued as to how a landing strip is made.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll bear those tips in mind for my next vid!
Time will tell. :)

I find that a lot of people are looking for tips that are simple and easy to apply. Often they ignore advice that substantially increases their video production time. Fair enough too, not everyone wants to spend 4 weeks filming and editing a 3 minute video.

I often find myself too short on free time for things other than catching up with life's chores. Still, When I do feel like doing this, I try to get it done right. Otherwise I'd rather not do it.

Reactions: TerryToast
I often find myself too short on free time for things other than catching up with life's chores. Still, When I do feel like doing this, I try to get it done right. Otherwise I'd rather not do it.
I’m amazed that you have found enough free time to publish 16 videos in 10 months.

I have read a lot of articles on YouTube saying that to build subscribers you need to publish a video every week. That is total BS. “Kold” produces four QUALITY videos per year and he has over a million subscribers.

Yeah, I guess. Since I have no idea about how to grow a YT channel, I cannot really judge.
I've read several guides about it, which are either too "This is the answer to life, the universe and everything" or contradictory. It makes sense that quality > quantity though.

Heh, true. Although I haven't been investing heavily on editing. It takes me a day or so to produce a video once I have the footage. The editing I've been doing is quite basic, using iMovie in fact. I should move to something better, like Adobe Premiere, but I would have to sit still and learn it, which is something I'm finding surprisingly hard to do as of late.

The editing I've been doing is quite basic, using iMovie in fact. I should move to something better, like Adobe Premiere, but I would have to sit still and learn it, which is something I'm finding surprisingly hard to do as of late.
I agree, don’t waste your time learning Adobe Premier. You will get a lot more benefit focusing on those “6 tips”, all of which can be easily achieved using iMovie.

Using advanced tools (DJI Inspire, Adobe Premier, etc) can definitely put the “icing on the cake”. However it is the foundations of cinematography and basic editing that will determine if you video is excellent or woeful. No amount of “icing” can fix a woeful movie.

Reactions: Korrd
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143