DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Want to bring my drone to EU on vacation

wsteele

Reactions
My grandson (15 years old) will be on a school trip to France, Switzerland, Germany, and Austria for 10 days. Understanding what I've read, even if he brings my Mini 2, because it has a camera, he will need to register it in the first EU country he travels in (In this case France). I can't find directions on how he can registers prior to traveling to the EU. Please help me understand the registration process.

He's an experienced recreational drone pilot in the USA and has owned a Phantom 3, Mavic Air, and currently an Air 2. Of course, he's registered here with the FAA and has passed their (simple) registration exam.

You might need to look into age limits as well, I have seen mention of a minimum age of 16.

It's mainly 2 thing's required ...

- A drone operator needs to be registered (carry the responsibility for all flights)

- The drone pilot needs to take a web test & get a pilot's certificate

The drone operator & drone pilot can be the same person or 2 different ...

For non-EU residents​

If you’re a non-EU resident who plans to visit and fly a drone in Europe, you will need to register as a drone operator with the (Link-->) National Aviation Authority (NAA) from the first EASA state in which you intend to operate.

This registration will automatically become valid across the rest of EASA member states, saving you the trouble of registering again when you visit another member country.

But do keep in mind that to actually fly the drone, you will need to train and pass the European drone pilot’s certificate online exam, and get a remote pilot competency certificate. This you can get from any NAA, which is helpful, considering not all agencies offer the training and exam in English.

easa-drone-exam-licence.png

Reactions: orca.skynet
At sixteen he’ll need a qualified adult with him too. You need to be over 16, so one of the teachers will need to take the tests.

Also, keep in mind - flying any size drones in any major European cities will land him in trouble with the local police, especially in France.

Reactions: oztx
Thanks for all the valuable inputs. I now understand that even the Mini 2 must be registered because it has a camera. He could have applied in any EU country(would have used Ireland for English language site) and paid about $35 US. He would need to take a training course and pass an easy exam. But, the Irish site says the minimum age is 16 and he travels in April and won’t be 16 till June, so he’ll need to leave his drone home!

Thanks for all the valuable inputs. I now understand that even the Mini 2 must be registered because it has a camera. He could have applied in any EU country(would have used Ireland for English language site) and paid about $35 US. He would need to take a training course and pass an easy exam. But, the Irish site says the minimum age is 16 and he travels in April and won’t be 16 till June, so he’ll need to leave his drone home!
In EASA countries it's not drone which is registered, it's operator who needs registration.
(operator number needs to be marked on drones)
And operator could have for example dozen drones under that single registration.

Sub 250 gram drones don't actually need pilot passing tests:
But operator registration possibly includes A1/A3 online test for free and different person than operator can be the pilot.
(at least here in Finland)

And neither is there minimum pilot age for sub 250 gram drones.
When weight is 250 grams or more then pilot has to be 16 years, unless NAA (National Aviation Authority) of particular country has set it lower.
Here in Finland minimum age for pilot is actually 12 years.
But minimum age for registering as operator is 18 years. (while in Ireland that's 16 years)

France actually offers UAS training and registration in English. The test is reasonably easy, but requires 100% to pass.

I chose to get my certificate in Ireland, English is one of their official languages.

Details here: EU Drone Registration in Ireland

It probably doesn't matter, but like @slup noted upthread, EASA says that international drone operators / drones should be registered in the first country where the drone will be flown. Since the OP is flying in France, seems like it makes sense to just get the French certificate -- it's free. Then he gets the added benefit of having his certificate in French & English available for the inevitable query by the Gendarmerie (speaking from personal experience).

Digressing slightly but for the OP's benefit, France has extremely detailed maps on where you can't fly, so have that available on your phone: Géoportail

Urban areas are all no-fly zones on the map, but I found a small area on the beach at Le Havre that was good for my purpose -- watching ships transit the port. A local cop came by to see what I was up to, presuming I couldn't fly there, but he checked my papers and the map and he wished me happy flying.

France drone training (in English): FOX ALPHATANGO

1648812306917.png

It probably doesn't matter, but like @slup noted upthread, EASA says that international drone operators / drones should be registered in the first country where the drone will be flown. Since the OP is flying in France, seems like it makes sense to just get the French certificate -- it's free. Then he gets the added benefit of having his certificate in French & English available for the inevitable query by the Gendarmerie (speaking from personal experience).

Digressing slightly but for the OP's benefit, France has extremely detailed maps on where you can't fly, so have that available on your phone: Géoportail

Urban areas are all no-fly zones on the map, but I found a small area on the beach at Le Havre that was good for my purpose -- watching ships transit the port. A local cop came by to see what I was up to, presuming I couldn't fly there, but he checked my papers and the map and he wished me happy flying.

France drone training (in English): FOX ALPHATANGO

View attachment 146093
Good information. The free aspect of French registration is nice. I paid a fee of about $30 for the Irish registration. Regarding "registered in the first country where the drone will be flown," I suspect that just means don't fly without registering, as in don't register in the second or third county in which you fly.

Here's a good source for maps of no-fly areas throughout Europe.

Did you look at the 800 gram weight limit in detail in the French regulations? A quick glance seems to indicate for drones lighter than 800 grams, there's no need for registration or getting the certificate.

Here's a good source for maps of no-fly areas throughout Europe.

Did you look at the 800 gram weight limit in detail in the French regulations? A quick glance seems to indicate for drones lighter than 800 grams, there's no need for registration or getting the certificate.

Thanks for that link! I've bookmarked it.

Yeah, I looked into the registration issue and in France all drones that have a camera and/or microphone have to be registered. Here's what's on their civil aviation website.

Préalablement à toute activité, un exploitant doit s'enregistrer en tant qu'exploitant européen d'UAS dès lors qu’il prévoit d’exploiter un drone de plus de 250 grammes, ou un drone (non considéré comme un jouet) équipé de capteurs pouvant récolter des données personnelles (par exemple : une caméra, un micro).

In English note the annoying OR statement:

Prior to any activity, an operator must register as a European UAS operator when it plans to operate a drone weighing more than 250 grams, or a drone (not considered a toy) equipped with sensors that can collect personal data (for example: a camera, a microphone).

I'd say that for practical purposes, all drones flown in France need to be registered regardless of weight.

Yeah, I looked into the registration issue and in France all drones that have a camera and/or microphone have to be registered.
That's EASA requirement and not specifc to France.

For sub 250 gram drone really only thing required is that operator registration.
Though it doesn't help to France having no fly zone propably in every place with street lights...

Registered his mother in France(as first country) as owner and she successfully completed the optional test. Also registered their Mavic Air 2 drone( less than 800g). Everything was in English and was free. In France, at 15 years old, he could have registered but we had already completed all the forms so we're done.

Thanks again for all the valuable inputs.

Reactions: MS Coast and oztx
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom