DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Want to buy first Drone

Electromen

Reactions
I've wanted a Drone since they first came out. Now, my Grandson is 10 yrs old and is interested in them. So it's time to purchase one.
I'm looking at the Mavic series. I've narrowed it down to the Mavic Air 2 Fly more Combo and the Mavic 2 Pro.
I have a background in professional photography, so that's why I'm interested in the Pro.
Any suggestions? I have no experience with a flying.

Hi Electromen Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
Considering you are a photographer I say go for the Mavic 2 Pro, no contest in my opinion.
That was my thought -Pro. The reason I didn't buy one earlier is I figured it would be damaged or caught in a treetop. Should I buy or lesser/beginner model or do you think the Mavic is OK for a first Drone.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . ?

Is your grandson likely to be involved with it and play with it? It's just I am thinking an M2P is likely to be a dangerous thing for a 10 year old to be 'near' or to have access to.
I don't know how knife like the props of an Air 2 are.

A 'toy' for you and a separate toy for him might be the safest thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Considering you are a photographer I say go for the Mavic 2 Pro, no contest in my opinion.

Speaking as a photographer, I've been over the moon with the Mavic Air 2 Fly More Kit. Do I wish it had the Hassy optics? Yup. Do I wish it were better at low light? Yup.

But the MA2 has a *lot* of features for the new drone pilot, and you can get into the Fly More kit for less than two-thirds the price of a bare M2P.

I will chime in as a 10 day owner of a Mini Fly More. Crashing your drone is, dare I say, a rite of passage. You will crash it. I'm not a kid, and not trying for stunts or tricks, and it happened to me early and often.

That said, the Mini is so light that it hasn't suffered any damage yet. I'm still using the first set of rotor blades, even.

So whatever drone you get, buy the DJI Refresh so you can have insurance in case you crash hard. And maybe, depending on your budget, get a Mini first to learn and play, give it to your grandson, and then get the one you want. The Mavic 3 might be out by then, who know?

P.S the Fly More package is a must. Draining 3 batteries in a row is a good long flying session. One battery? Perish the thought.

Speaking as a photographer, I've been over the moon with the Mavic Air 2 Fly More Kit. Do I wish it had the Hassy optics? Yup. Do I wish it were better at low light? Yup.

But the MA2 has a *lot* of features for the new drone pilot, and you can get into the Fly More kit for less than two-thirds the price of a bare M2P.

I picked up a simple tip from a YouTube video. Lock the exposure in low-light settings. Point the camera at a medium-dark spot, let the auto exposure adjust, then lock. That is how I took this:The Spark of Life.jpg

I picked up a simple tip from a YouTube video. Lock the exposure in low-light settings.

Yes, I already do that. But I'm talking about lighting where ISO 1600 or better still doesn't cut it. The MA2 gets quite grainy at high ISO.

I'm used to shooting with a Nikon D750 at ISO 6400 for some of my work...

Yes, I already do that. But I'm talking about lighting where ISO 1600 or better still doesn't cut it. The MA2 gets quite grainy at high ISO.

I'm used to shooting with a Nikon D750 at ISO 6400 for some of my work...

As I was typing, I was already thinking "he is probably going to know this" smh

As I was typing, I was already thinking "he is probably going to know this" smh

Doesn't matter. Some of the other folks reading this thread may not have known.

Welcome to the forum. You will find plenty of support and assistance here. We look forward to your contribution and your view of the world.

As a recently new drone owner myself I did a lot of research and wanted a good drone without breaking the bank and I went with the mavic air 2 fly more bundle. I am in love with it so far. Great picture and video quality.

Thanks for everyones help. I decided to buy the Mavic Air 2. My main reason was being new to Drones. It's like buying your first DSLR Camera. You usually don't start with a Nikon D5 for $6K, you buy a Nikon for $2K and upgrade later.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929