DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wanting to get a M2Pro, but worried about losing it. Am I being irrational?

DroneyMcDronerson

Reactions
Hey all,

So I'm seriously looking at getting a Mavic Pro 2 and I was about 100% sure I was going to get one, but then I started reading comments about the drone getting lost and DJI's Care Refresh thing not replacing it. It seems that losing a drone is a rare occurence, but I don't have funds to buy another one (nor would I want to lose it in the first place), so I want to know if my fears of it getting lost are valid or overblown?
I was thinking I could just get a GPS tracker for it, but it looks like they are like $200 a pop for the transponder. I was thinking they were like $30 which I was good with, but $200....ya.... :(

How do you all work this?

Start small then and get a spark and if you get over the fear then sell it and get something that will fly further - if you are flying line of sight with the spark you can still get further than line of sight.

Reactions: JSM
Percentage of lost DJI drones by way of DJI issues is rather small compared to DJI drones lost by way of pilot error, aka, “nut behind the wheel”. Continue your reading skills, then go have some fun. You’re missing out!

Reactions: Hank Fink and JSM
Read the manual cover to cover a couple of times. Power up the drone and get familiar with all of the settings. Start out slow, fly within your limits where you feel safe. You will gradually gain skills that will allow you to put the fear behind you. Like anything else there are no guarantees that every flight will be perfect, but if you prepare then you will know what to do if something happens and fly it like a champ.

The odds of you losing your drone are very slim especially if you keep it off the water. When I first got my Mavic two I found the biggest enemy or risk was small tree branches I did lose my first Mavic to from a hard fall but Care refresh replaced it . I think it is definitely a must to buy care refresh or at least State Farm , but you have to go for it I have never had so much fun ! You learn so much about flying and photography filming

Reactions: Airview and Bobvt
Hey all,

So I'm seriously looking at getting a Mavic Pro 2 and I was about 100% sure I was going to get one, but then I started reading comments about the drone getting lost and DJI's Care Refresh thing not replacing it. It seems that losing a drone is a rare occurence, but I don't have funds to buy another one (nor would I want to lose it in the first place), so I want to know if my fears of it getting lost are valid or overblown?
I was thinking I could just get a GPS tracker for it, but it looks like they are like $200 a pop for the transponder. I was thinking they were like $30 which I was good with, but $200....ya.... :(

How do you all work this?
no reason to fear any dji drone,i have several models of dji drones and have never had any real issues except for a cracked battery for my phantom 4 p2.0 but it still works,start small and work your way up,master the tello and you will be an expert

Thanks all for the advice, info! I think maybe I should start with something less expensive, get my skills up and then upgrade when I think I"m ready.

The odds of you losing your drone are very slim especially if you keep it off the water.
It might seem counter intuitive but chances of losing the drone are lower over water than on land.
Over the sea or large lakes, there are no obstacles to hit and nothing to block signal or cause interference.

Most people who lose drones are flying beyond VLOS. If you keep your drone within your sight (required by many countries), don't fly in windy conditions, and don't take off when the aircraft is near magnetic metal objects (like a concrete sidewalk), then you'll greatly reduce your chances of losing it.

Want more tips on how to prevent a loss? Check out this guide:

Prevent a Crash or Flyaway with Your DJI Drone (The Complete Guide)

Reactions: Johnmcl7
It might seem counter intuitive but chances of losing the drone are lower over water than on land.
Over the sea or large lakes, there are no obstacles to hit and nothing to block signal or cause interference.
What I mean by that is that once it dives into the lake you usually cannot recover it for a claim

Buying the cheaper drones is the way to go to start but more expensive also

Not sure if anyone’s specified yet but the Mavic two has a tracker if you lose it .just like find my iPhone app

Reactions: ff22
What I mean by that is that once it dives into the lake you usually cannot recover it for a claim
Floating doesn't help you recover it unless you can get to where it's floating.
How many people crash close to shore or fly where they have a boat available?

Not sure if anyone’s specified yet but the Mavic two has a tracker if you lose it .just like find my iPhone app
That's correct. However, it will only pinpoint the exact location if the aircraft remains connected to the DJI GO app for the entire flight. If it continues to fly after disconnecting from DJI GO, then you'll only be able to use the data that's available in the flight log to guesstimate where the aircraft landed (or crashed).

my first drone and also my first flight was with M2P. before taking off, spend a lot of time reading threads at this forum, watch youtube videos and for sure, read the manual at least 2 times. take care of the batteries storage, take off with 100% and respect the automatic RTH due to low battery.
you will be fine.

Floating doesn't help you recover it unless you can get to where it's floating.
How many people crash close to shore or fly where they have a boat available?
The mavic does not float. A lot of people crash close to shore and recover it like yours truly

Start with a tello develop hand eye get used to trusting your screen. Less than 100usd

You will always have that fear I'm approaching 1million ft and still get nervous. I dont do near the things some of these guys do read read read and when you feal comfortable read some more!

I think you will be amazed at how well the gps tracking works. It always shows adirect line home

Reactions: Drgnfli
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio