DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Was this flight legal?

WeeRapscallion

Reactions
Wilts & Berks Canal Trust video 2
Wilts & Berks Canal Trust video
Having captured some good footage around the town of historic buildings pre-October 2019. It gave me great sadness once I did the course to get my Operator and flight ID. Seems like you cannot fly anywhere near a town or village. I was surprised when I saw the canal trust post this video on their fb page. The operator has confirmed to me he doesn't have a commercial licence. The area has been recently developed and flight goes past a school, pub and shops.

Wilts & Berks Canal Trust video

Flight map Whichelstowe.png

Last edited:
Probably not, he/she was beyond VLOS and I would say that he was flying over a built up area.

As long as he was at least 50-metres from the buildings he’s okay. The canal and the land immediately beside could be owned by the Canal Trust. But, definitely beyond VLOS.

Assuming it wasnt a PfCO with the required permissions its illegal on several fronts.
(i) the one video starts off following a canal running between 2 housing estates. So its well within the 150m built up area exclusion. It also looks closer than 50m to persons and property.
(ii) Its way way beyond VLOS

The other video has him flying at near rooftop level and close to houses so again breaks the 150 and 5m rules. It also flies very low over a road with vehicles so does so again. And this one also is way beyond VLOS.

I think you're making false assumptions in condemning a fellow drone pilot. Video 1 runs for 1' 30 secs and at 10 mph that would mean the drone travels only 400 metres (which is well within the 500 m limit). Video 2 runs 1' 50 secs and again at 10 mph it travels 490 metres. Seems to me the pilot knows the regs and is keeping within them. In both videos he follows the line of the canal and well above the roof level you suggest. It is therefore not a built up area (that rule is with reference to buildings). I'm happy its 50 m away from property or people which are not under his control. When he crosses the road bridge he judges it so that he doesn't over fly any cars. So - Fabio Frazzica, well done mate. Hope you have or are doing you're PfCO before the regs change (yet again)!

The start and end points (known as made public) are 1.2km apart.
Housing estate is classed as a built up area (and its both sides), as is the road and surrounding buildings he crosses.

Reactions: SkyeHigh
So he can see 3/4 mile. On your basis helicopters wouldn’t be able to traverse towns (they follow rivers and canals for safety). The road is not classed as built up except in your opinion. But criticise away - its not like we’ve got any enemies that’ll capitalise on it.

So he can see 3/4 mile. On your basis helicopters wouldn’t be able to traverse towns (they follow rivers and canals for safety). The road is not classed as built up except in your opinion. But criticise away - its not like we’ve got any enemies that’ll capitalise on it.

He’s not criticising he’s stating fact. The aircraft was in a built-up area. Quoting helicopter flights is just silly - they very obviously have permission to fly in built-up areas, think emergency ambulance helicopters, police helicopters.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000