DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Was threatened to be arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexprecept

Reactions
Was filming a protest today in southern California and had 4 officers say I would be arrested if I didn't land my drone cause they had a police drone (no markings, lights and impossible to differentiate from a consumer one) flying and I was apparently interrupting their surveillance of the protest. Is this legal or has anyone else dealt with this ?

Reactions: hiflyer201
I am very surprised widespread, inner city areas of protest are not declared NFZ's, but regardless, if the Police on the ground declare the situation an emergency operation, they have the authority to ground you at a minimum, and their doing so is legal.

I'm no pro and not107 certified but the rec rules are a bit different and you never specified your flight intent. I think FAA recreational flights state this:
Never interfere with emergency response activities such as disaster relief, any type of accident response, law enforcement activities, firefighting, or hurricane recovery efforts.

I get that but I can't find any law regarding drones in specific if anything what I've found is that they have to go thru tons of read tape to use them
Well i‘m pretty sure they have . They have enough to worry about with out civilians getting in the way.

I'm no pro and not107 certified but the rec rules are a bit different and you never specified your flight intent. I think FAA recreational flights state this:
Never interfere with emergency response activities such as disaster relief, any type of accident response, law enforcement activities, firefighting, or hurricane recovery efforts.
I guess it was also impossible to tell it was a police drone. Looked like an air or parrot. No lights or markings either

Attachments

• 20200602_180100.jpg
    20200602_180100.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 189
Honestly??

I know the political situation at the moment is very, very tense and I can understand why people might want an independent record of events. But when you have been told to stop by police officers or get arrested I would stop.

My guess is that the police have the power to put up drones wherever and whenever it's deemed necessary, and have the power to ground everyone else - without having to fill in a mountain of paperwork, pop it in the post and wait for the other authorities in an office outsourced to somewhere offshore to bother to reply.

Notwithstanding the current situation, police are using drones a lot more nowadays. There was one video the UK police put online recently where they were knocking on somebody's door, and the guy decided to make a run for it and weave a path through people's gardens to try and evade capture. They just happened to have a drone with them that was in the air prior to knocking on the door. The drone followed him so the police could do an intercept and arrest him. It certainly wasn't one of the drones the film industry uses by the footage. Pro-sumer drones like the DJI range are more than capable of doing that task.

I guess it was also impossible to tell it was a police drone. Looked like an air or parrot. No lights or markings either
I would think it wasn’t marked so it would be like a undercover car. Bet they had em up to see where the group's
where headed next. Better than a helicopter . Am surprised
the looters aren’t using them to see where LE are so they
can tell their buddy’s which way to go to hit next.
JMO ...No one that isn’t involved should be no where near
any of this and certainly not with a drone.
2 things come into my mind right off.
1 If something goes wrong more bad press for our hobby
which we have enough already .
2 Your safety, they could turn on you and there you be.
Like I said in my other post read in the thread I linked.
The OP of that thread can tell you the consequences of
being involved in areas of civil unrest.
Lot of fluff in the thread but blow past that and read the rest.
Now i say all this just a member not a Mod.

Added..that picture looks like a M2 Enterprise with a speaker. Might be mistaken .

Last edited:
I'm in the UK so not 100% on US laws, but watching some news channels last night with the LA protests and there were police copters and news copters zigzagging around the sky somehow missing each other- add private drones into that mix and it's a recipe for disaster! Regardless if they have their own drone in the air or not, they asked you not to.

Plus if it goes south quickly, I doubt you'll be in a position to safely be in control and land !!!

A black drone with no lights... A bit difficult to tell if it is CIA, Freemasons or Illuminati.

Seriously : Read this thread Use of Drones to record civil unrest.

I would expect that there are already laws in place (from the 1800's 1940's 1960's 1960's ) re civil disturbances that cover you being on in the way of the authorities and or being on the streets at all. These powers must have been enabled as there are curfews in some cities. So never mind the drone rules. you are looking in the wrong place.

Reactions: Alexprecept
A black drone with no lights... A bit difficult to tell if it is CIA, Freemasons or Illuminati.

Seriously : Read this thread Use of Drones to record civil unrest.

I would expect that there are already laws in place (from the 1800's 1940's 1960's 1960's ) re civil disturbances that cover you being on in the way of the authorities and or being on the streets at all. These powers must have been enabled as there are curfews in some cities. So never mind the drone rules. you are looking in the wrong place.
No common sense -why would anyone put a precious drone in the air above a police action or crowds of people? They are really begging for an interaction with those police at the very least. Like the peaceful protesters want a peaceful protest are corrupted by the anarchist destroyers. Also are the peaceful drone flyers given a bad rap from a few bad actors putting a drone above a police action.

I can't say that is a black drone from the lighting and lets not start with
CIA, Freemasons or Illuminati.
and make this into something
it is not.
Guys I've deleted one post already though not inappropriate but this is a serious matter.
Thanks

Reactions: Hauptmann
I can't say that is a black drone from the lighting and lets not start with
and make this into something
it is not.
Guys I've deleted one post already though not inappropriate but this is a serious matter.
Thanks

As a Freemason I can tell you that was a joke. Anyone who really believes the black helicopters/drones are the CIA, Freemasons or Illuminati shouldn't be driving let alone flying anything.
You need a sense of humour. if you have ever been under fire you will know it tends to be a black sense of humour.

Reactions: Classic flyer
[
As a Freemason I can tell you that was a joke. Anyone who really believes the black helicopters/drones are the CIA, Freemasons or Illuminati shouldn't be driving let alone flying anything.
You need a sense of humour. if you have ever been under fire you will know it tends to be a black sense of humour.
Sorry I have a sense of humor But I do not find that humorous and this is not the place to discuss it .
So no more on it.

There is always the legal answer, and then the practical answer. Myself, when, a park ranger or law-enforcement official asks me to land the drone, even if I know it’s legal, I would Ido it. They can make life very inconvenient, even if I am in the right. Sounds like that’s what you did.

Certainly everyone is entitled to stand on their rights. Nonetheless, I would just as soon avoid the hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kcb2627