DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waste of money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capnfletch

Reactions
How DJI get away with there false advertising claims is beyond me on my second mavic air first one flew into water after losing signal there range claims are absolute BS you will be lucky to get 300 meters nomatter what mode its in just rubbish look elsewhere for a drone these guys are making a fortune with no accountability i hope they go broke soon

Reactions: LHPDLEO
How DJI get away with there false advertising claims is beyond me on my second mavic air first one flew into water after losing signal there range claims are absolute BS you will be lucky to get 300 meters nomatter what mode its in just rubbish look elsewhere for a drone these guys are making a fortune with no accountability i hope they go broke soon
What you are claiming doesn't match with typical reports from owners.
If the situation was the way you depict it, DJI wouldn't be anywhere near as successful as they are.

In the first incident you mention, losing signal doesn't cause a drone to crash.
It leaves it hovering and after a short time, the drone would return to home.

The range yiou can expect varies with the radio interference in your flying area.
300 metres would be at the extreme short end of the spectrum.

A poor tradesman blames his tools.

There is nothing to suggest DJI hobby grade drones are any less reliable than other makes at a similar price point.

It would seem DJI drones provide as good as or better range (signal performance), reliability, features and performance than the competition.

The Mavic Air is a great little drone. Take your time and ask any questions you may have along the way. These things are ridiculously easy to fly but difficult to master. You will be rewarded for patience and a little investment of time to learn what the limitations are and how to operate with little chance of problems/disappointment.

There are plenty here to help you.

The MA is far from a waste of money. Infact, it probably gives the most bang for the money from all the drones in the DJI lineup. OP is right about false advertising though; the MA doesn't come close to the advertised flight time or range in normal use. Those figures don't match with it's actual performance.

To OP: get to know your drone you will be pleasantly surprised.

Within my LOS I have had no problems what so ever with the connection. In 60 flights I had two more or less critical moments, both caused by...

Pilot Error

The first was not waiting for the GPS to be ready and the second one was almost crashing into a tree, only to be amazed how efficient the sensors reacted.

As said before, the normal reaction if the connection is lost is "freeze" and then "RTH". Advised by an experienced pilot, I tried it at a short distance. Got the MA up, about 50 meters away and then turned the controller of. I have to admit, it was scary, but my MA returned home perfectly. The second excersie I did was in the same setup, but then, as RTH initiated and the drone started to come back, I turned the controller on again. Took a second or two to get re-connected and then i could take over control again.
Two things that assured me of the reliability of the drone and were part of the proces of getting to know the machine.

What you are claiming doesn't match with typical reports from owners.
If the situation was the way you depict it, DJI wouldn't be anywhere near as successful as they are.

In the first incident you mention, losing signal doesn't cause a drone to crash.
It leaves it hovering and after a short time, the drone would return to home.

The range yiou can expect varies with the radio interference in your flying area.
300 metres would be at the extreme short end of the spectrum.
If you want good range you should get a Mavic 2 first drone I got and I never looked back

Reactions: JSM

I've had my Mavic Air for two years, and it’s still as good as ever without zero issues.

Maybe post your flight logs and we’ll identify the issue that caused it to crash into the sea.

Reactions: Mrmund

I have no issues with range on air. Not as far as my Mavic Pro with ossi synch, of Phantom with lightbridge, but it's not advertised to do tkhat

Something isn't adding up in the OP statement. We can't rule out mechanical problems entirely, but this sounds very much like inexperienced pilot error. Maybe with some more details.

Reactions: Lastrexking
Mavic Air is my most flown drone of P3 and P4. A convenient and wonderful drone.

It functions perfectly when it looses control signals. Waits a few seconds and begins the RTH user defined behavior.

At least 100 totally successful flights.

Did you know you’re not getting the advertised mileage in your car also.
They are both rated in perfect conditions to show what’s capable not necessarily realistic for most situations.

Reactions: tmgrood
READ MORE, COMPLAIN LESS. GOOD LUCK.

I have been flying DJI drones for over 4 years now. The Mavic Air for 1.5 years. There is no false advertising! I have found when issues such as yours occur it is 99% of the time some form of pilot error.

Nothing wrong with Mavic Air. It’s an excellent bit of kit. I’ve had well over 1.5 miles out of it regularly and only never went further as I chickened out. As highlighted when signal is lost it hovers and RTH so not sure what you’re doing wrong but I doubt it’s the MA drone.

I have enjoyed almost 400 (398) flights with my Mavic Air. While not every flight was completely without event, I have learned from (my) mistakes and continue to improve my flying and fun. I find this to be a worthy aircraft. I have no regrets on my purchase. I've got my money worth and more. Actually, your post has inspired me to get out and push it over the 400 mark today Thumbswayup
Sorry about your experience.

Reactions: Mrmund
I also own a MA and MP2
Love my drones

Couldn't agree more with the majority of comments here. My Mavic AIR has performed 100% to my expectations with 0 faults from the aircraft and plenty of faults from me. Uut unlike the original poster, I do not blame the aircraft and realize exactly where the fault is, me! Steep learning curve which may be overwhelming for some, but for me a fantastic portable aircraft well worth the money.

Reactions: MavicFlyer
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest