DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

bassemamr

Reactions
Hello

Here’s how it went down so i was flying my mavic over a lake (second time using it) , I was lowering it down when it suddenly lost connection and disappeared. It was sunset and i didnt have my sensors disabled (did not know about that then).

I thought it wouldn’t go down any further and detect the water
Here are my logs any feedback is greatly appreciated thank you

Shouldn’t it have detected the water?
Is there anything DJI could do about this?

• Sad
Reactions: Prismatic
Welcome to the forum.

I'm confident some members will be here shortly to offer some advice.

The optical detection of water surfaces is not reliable. In fact if you look at the OSD_isSwaveWork flag for this flight you will see that it was going in and out, and was not working at all at the end of the flight:

sWave.png

Looking at the throttle input and vertical velocity and height data, you simply landed it in the lake:

Climb.png

Here’s how it went down so i was flying my mavic over a lake (second time using it) , I was lowering it down when it suddenly lost connection and disappeared.
Flying very close to the water or any obstacle is always risky.
Flying close to water level in Sport Mode is more of a risk.
Assuming that the drone will avoid water is not a good idea.
The drone's response in Sport Mode is very snappy.
From 3:11.8 till 3:13.3 you pulled your left stick full down.
At 3:15.5 the data just stops (and the submarining begins).
Obstacle avoidance doesn't work in Sport Mode.
Even when it is operating, water can cause problems for OA.
Read what the manual says about the limitations of obstacle avoidance.
Ford won't support a warranty claim if you were to drive your car into an obstacle.
I doubt DJI would be any different.

Last edited:
It boils down to you flying beyond your abilities and beyond your knowledge of your aircraft.

As stated above, you made a Water Landing. It sucks yes but it's operator error.

Hello

Here’s how it went down so i was flying my mavic over a lake (second time using it) , I was lowering it down when it suddenly lost connection and disappeared. It was sunset and i didnt have my sensors disabled (did not know about that then).

I am sorry you had such a difficult introduction to the generally exhilarating experience of flying.

I am reminded (again) of the new owners of 4WD vehicles, who believe too much in the advertising. They're often the first cars in the ditch after a snow storm.

That is, ignorance about the capabilities and limits of the technology you're commanding, paired with an unwarranted confidence, is a recipe for disaster.

Like the driver in the ditch, I'll offer my help and sympathy, but also the advice to be more cautious until you have more experience.

And FWIW, I have put a 4WD in the ditch, and crashed a drone; both times I had exceeded my abilities. They were both a learning experience. ?

Last edited:
Man! I feel really bad for you bassemamr . . . this is truly a horror story. Don't give up on flying.

When flying close over water, you always have to be ready for that "VPS dip"
Obstacle avoidance is disabled in Sport Mode but VPS is not.
When you get close to the water, the VPS gets confused and sometime raises but almost all of the time lowers or "dips".
Once you are ready for it by keeping your eye on it, you can fly like this:

Hi I feel very sad for you, these things don't come for free in cereal boxes but what happened to beginners mode. This is not aimed directly but to others as well. Take care.

Reactions: BigAl07
Firstly, I am very sorry to hear about you losing your drone.

Secondly, this sounds like a case of running before you can walk, I am also a 'newcomer' and yet to fly my drone. I do however live 15 metres from a major river here in the UK and I wouldn't dream of flying over it until I was beyond confident that I was a capable operator.

Bummer amigo! Sorry!
I am new to drones as well. Purchased a Mavic 2 Pro about 6 weeks ago for a killer price but I have only flown it once to test it. I bought Real Flight 9 Simulator ($200) to practice my flying which has several drone models available. Actually it's really fun and certainly a whole lot cheaper than crashing a new M2P. I also bought a Blade drone (for $100) to practice flying before the simulator but couldn't fly it for more than maybe 15 seconds without crashing- hence the reason why I bought the simulator. Over the last month, my flying has improved 5000% due to hours on the simulator. Now I can easily fly the Blade for the full battery length without crashing (about 6-8 minutes), both inside and outside with gusty winds!
Moral of my story is I spent $300 for a practice drone (BTW the Blade is WAY harder to fly than a M2P) and a simulator so I reduce the chances of crashing my $1500+ M2P. Not a strategy for everyone, especially the impatient but so far working for me- my M2P is sitting on my table (still unflown- Lol) but not in the bottom of a lake or crash damaged.
Hopefully this info might help other new pilots???

Reactions: Capt KO and BigAl07
Hello

Was this a Mini Mavic , you mention disable sensors ?

My Mini over water yesterday at sundown. Below 10ft it would slowly drop, both in hover or motion. About a foot every couple seconds. At 15ft no problems.
Mine too! I lost mine just a few hours ago bc of something similar. It's a shame those risky shots are the best ones.

When flying close over water, you always have to be ready for that "VPS dip"
Obstacle avoidance is disabled in Sport Mode but VPS is not.
When you get close to the water, the VPS gets confused and sometime raises but almost all of the time lowers or "dips".
Once you are ready for it by keeping your eye on it, you can fly like this:
Hi I’m a new pilot and have noticed my mini slowly dipping like you mentioned (over water). What is this about? Please explain if possible.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000