DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Water tower demolition

SkyLight2

Reactions
I shot this with a DJI Mavic Air 2 and edited it in Adobe Premier. No color grading, just raw out of the drone.
I'm quite pleased with the way the video looks. Camera was set to HDR, stopped down -2 with a ND16 filter.

This was a video done for the demolition company and for my own practice and portfolio. I don't yet have my Part 107 so it was given to them without a fee. I hope to get my Part 107 by the summer.

UPDATE:
I decided it would be best to remove the video as it's in violation of FAA Part 107 rules. It's still considered commercial even if it's free.

Summation of what I learned from this thread::
Even if it's not monetized, YouTube posting is a violation if you don't have a Part 107 license. YouTube gets a benefit because it's content.
Giving it to a company without pay is also a violation. They can benefit from it's use.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Lear55pilot
Nicely shot, the ND16 did a good job on the air and ground.

I shuddered a bit seeing a guy under the last raised piece of tank, also lifting that over the men as it was swung away, very poor safety for use of cranes and loads.

I think doing that for the demo co, even ex gratis, would still be classed as a commercial shoot.
If you did it as a rec flight, then later presented it to them, it is ok . . . how much longer ? Common sense, maybe a week ?
(No one is likely to be too concerned, just so you know about doing the commercial work even free requires part 107.)

Last edited:
Generally we think of "demolition" as using explosives. Disassembly or destruction might be a more honest title.
Regardless, a well done, interesting video. Those cranes must have been something to see in action!

Reactions: Rubenc87
That crew does about 100 "disassembly" (better name :) jobs per year. They moved like clockwork. A lot of exciting action to watch from the drone feed. It was a very enjoyable shoot.

I missed the bottom bowl section getting removed because I had to run to a nearby hardware store to buy a small 12V inverter to recharge my batteries. I managed to last out by swapping often with the one in the charger.

I shuddered a bit seeing a guy under the last raised piece of tank, also lifting that over the men as it was swung away, very poor safety for use of cranes and loads.

I think doing that for the demo co, even ex gratis, would still be classed as a commercial shoot.
If you did it as a rec flight, then later presented it to them, it is ok . . . how much longer ? Common sense, maybe a week ?
(No one is likely to be too concerned, just so you know about doing the commercial work even free requires part 107.)
I thought about that. I'm not doing it under any business name, it's just a text message. I wanted to shoot it anyway and I offered it to the crew during their lunch break. Words. Crew VS Company. I get it though. Maybe not so good to share publicly.

The content makes it seems commercial even if it was free.

was all of this done in one day? How many batteries did you have on hand?

was all of this done in one day? How many batteries did you have on hand?
Yes. They started at 6:30, I arrived at 8:00 and shot until around 2:00. I have three batteries. I would put the drone up when I saw there was a good action sequence coming up, shoot it, then land and wait for the next shot. Meanwhile I had batteries charging from my electric car (2019 Nissan Leaf) through an inverter.

You had great timing w the video capturing the big stages of the dismantle process. And this was done w the Air 2? Great video quality.

I shot this with a DJI Mavic Air 2 and edited it in Adobe Premier. No color grading, just raw out of the drone.
I'm quite pleased with the way the video looks. Camera was set to HDR, stopped down -2 with a ND16 filter.

This was a video done for the demolition company and for my own practice and portfolio. I don't yet have my Part 107 so it was given to them without a fee. I hope to get my Part 107 by the summer.

UPDATE:
I decided it would be best to remove the video as it's in violation of FAA Part 107 rules. It's still considered commercial even if it's free.

Summation of what I learned from this thread::
Even if it's not monetized, YouTube posting is a violation if you don't have a Part 107 license. YouTube gets a benefit because it's content.
Giving it to a company without pay is also a violation. They can benefit from it's use.
I’m guessing you pulled the video? Working in construction, I’d love to see it just for grins and giggles. It’s rare I see the “destruction” side of this field!

Would love to have seen the video.

If the OP has made it private, maybe they can share a link to you two above.
I guess then it's still circulating to the unknown, and could end up causing trouble.
Still, I doubt anyone (even FAA) would be too worried, they have bigger fish to fry.

Reactions: NG Wildman
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore