DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoint 2.0 RTH

Walt

Reactions
Hello everyone.
I have flown two Waypoint 2.0 missions now and have questions about what is happening when the signal between the drone and remote controller (RC) is broken.
I had checked the continue task option for what should happen if the signal was interrupted or lost for both missions. During both missions the signal was broken. Am happy to report I was able to bring the drone back both times but here are the questions.
  1. When reviewing the videos from both flights, the drone stops moving after the signal is broken and continues to film without moving for slightly more than two minutes. Is this normal or is it due to some error in made in setting up the WP flight?
  2. Related to the continue task option. I understand that when RTH is not overridden in the Waypoint Mission parameters (meaning the Continue Mission option when the connection is broken is NOT checked) that when signal is lost the drone will retrace its flight path and attempt to return to the point where signal had been lost. Does it do this in a WP flight when the signal is broken if I have checked the continue task option?

Any insights on what is going on here will be appreciated!

Hi Walt,
@ 1:
Which signal was broken? Maybe you only lost video feed feed but the RC was still connected?
Loss of video feed doesn't affect anything. Only loss of RC signal.
It's weird that it kept filming while being static for so long. Did you move the sticks during that time? Not sure though if that makes a difference.
There is no room for error in WP setup. The app gives you besides 'Continue Task' the three standard options for 'No RC Signal Action' = Failsafe RTH:
Return To Home/Hover/Landing.

@ 2:
If 'Continue Task' has been selected there is no retracing of the flight path or whatsoever. The drone will continue it's mission and ignores you entirely.
Imagine it to be like the first moon orbit, Apollo 8:
Keep praying and hope it'll show up again :)

Hi Walt,
@ 1:
Which signal was broken? Maybe you only lost video feed feed but the RC was still connected?
Loss of video feed doesn't affect anything. Only loss of RC signal.
It's weird that it kept filming while being static for so long. Did you move the sticks during that time? Not sure though if that makes a difference.
There is no room for error in WP setup. The app gives you besides 'Continue Task' the three standard options for 'No RC Signal Action' = Failsafe RTH:
Return To Home/Hover/Landing.

@ 2:
If 'Continue Task' has been selected there is no retracing of the flight path or whatsoever. The drone will continue it's mission and ignores you entirely.
Imagine it to be like the first moon orbit, Apollo 8:
Keep praying and hope it'll show up again :)
Hi MaxHam. Thanks for this reply. I will re-run the route and ensure panic stricken fingers do not touch the sticks as the drone goes around the dark side of the moon.
Walt

Reactions: MaxHam
He was asking what the behavior was when not selecting "continue mission"

Since it seems to then go by the normal "lost signal" setting based on the description, it probably retraces path for last 60 seconds.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty