DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoint app for A2

Natehighup

Reactions
Good afternoon, I own a mini 2 and now a air2,
Use a iPhone 12 but have a dedicated Samsung s10+ that I use for the drones, is there a waypoint app that works for the air2 on either apple or android? I know there is nothing yet for the mini2.

I have drone link on my iPhone for my original mini but it used virtual sticks and I found the footage particularly sweeping turn shots jerky! I was told it was the method used to execute ie virtual sticks vs with my mavic pro it would actually upload the parameters to the drone, I have had Dronelink on my phone for well over a year and used it a handful of times.
Never tried it with my air 2 I assumed the same results.

The Android Beta version of Litchi will do Waypoint Missions on the Air 2. I had been using it with my Mini for a while, but didn't know if it worked on the A2, so I just created a short mission at tried it. It worked as well as the Mini.

Reactions: Capt KO
Maven for dji
Been using this app since 2018 and it just gets better and better as it includes a lot more than waypoints but it is very simple to use.
The latest upgrade (3.8) is a real game changer as it includes setting waypoints at a constant “above ground” height option which is needed on uneven ground and as said earlier creating waypoints “in flight”. You can create many waypoints with different actions at each one, Points of Interest and so on.
The app is iOS only although Michelle the developer would like to develop an Android version in future it would be a major undertaking.

Maven will not work with the Air 2s (yet)

Reactions: Bsnyder
So will Maven continue the mission if it disconnects from the controller? If it can’t I assume it’s using virtual sticks? And in fairness I have no experience with Maven only drone link on the mini when it first updated to work with mini 1 and it wasn’t so great back then.

Any app will use virtual sticks on the MA2. It doesn't have enough onboard memory to support storing waypoints or so DJI tells us. I think that BS but who am I to question DJI.

The conspiracy theorist in me assumes they don't allow it on their cheaper hobbyist drones as they don't want to promote flying further than LOS. If you are flying within LOS you should be fine with virtual sticks. Jerky shots on the yaw axis has more to do with the shutter speed I believe. Try it with an ND filter.

Last edited:
So will Maven continue the mission if it disconnects from the controller? If it can’t I assume it’s using virtual sticks? And in fairness I have no experience with Maven only drone link on the mini when it first updated to work with mini 1 and it wasn’t so great back then.
For each mission you can choose to either "Continue Mission" or "Stop Mission and RTH" if the connection between the controller and the aircraft is lost. Under "Disconnection Behaviour" the manual says that, by default, the mission will continue independently. (Only a low battery will automatically stop the mission and start RTH.) Exceptions to this are the Mavic Mini and Mavic Air 2. For those you must choose the "Stop Mission and RTH" setting. Neither of those drones can continue a mission without a connection. So they will always Stop and RTH on disconnection.

Attachments

• TEMP - Maven disconnection behavior.JPG
    TEMP - Maven disconnection behavior.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: AZDave
The Air 2 cannot continue the mission, and will return to home. Yes...virtual stick. This based on comments in the Maven setup section.

I'm trying to use Dronelink for waypoint missions and capture images using the Smart photo mode. Have any of you had success in doing this? I can get my MA2 fly the missions and to capture images, but they don't seem to be "Smart".

I'm trying to use Dronelink for waypoint missions and capture images using the Smart photo mode. Have any of you had success in doing this? I can get my MA2 fly the missions and to capture images, but they don't seem to be "Smart".

You should ask on the Dronelink support forum:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000