DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoints Mode

nfarruggio

Reactions
Has anyone else experienced choppy video using a point of interest in waypoints mode? Let me explain further....I am trying to have my drone fly in a semi-circle from one side of an object to the other. I set this up by creating 3 points and set the drone to "arc" between each point. As the drone goes through its progression, in its attempt to keep the POI in the center it does these quick yawing motions every second that make the video choppy. Another thing to note is my POI is approx 75-100 feet away from the drone. Could the closeness be the issue? Any thoughts on this problem? Also, if you have any tips on an easier way to do a more precise semi-circle around a POI in waypoints mode, that would be great!

Thanks!

Yes, there are many posts on this topic. Apparently, it's a bug in the firmware as the Litchi app exhibits the same jerkiness in the yawing motion. It's unfortunate, too, because this was not the case with the original Mavic. We're all hopeful that DJI will get this fixed in the near future. It basically ruins the video quality.

Thank you for the response. In one sense, this is reassuring as others have had the same issue.

I saw the same issue. I would not say it was bad but noticeable. The disturbing part is when I use POI I don’t see the same choppiness versus when I asked the way point to do the exact same thing.

Yes, there are many posts on this topic. Apparently, it's a bug in the firmware as the Litchi app exhibits the same jerkiness in the yawing motion. It's unfortunate, too, because this was not the case with the original Mavic. We're all hopeful that DJI will get this fixed in the near future. It basically ruins the video quality.

Mavic2: Seeing this is a WISHLIST - Heres My Take-

Litchi and DJI Go4 waypoints NOT smooth (Jerky) when Panning - (Unusable)

Iv been flying with Litchi for 2xyrs- Even Making it my Control Program of choice
that was with Mavic 1
However since Mavic 2 ...

1) Im having this horrible JERKY Movement when Panning on a Mission.
The Video is NOT smooth - and appears to intermittently 'CATCHUP" with a jerk - as if the gimbal has been freed from being stuck

The video then is Unusable - especially in Mission Mode using Waypoints-
(I may add - using waypoints previously used when using Mavic 1- but now on Mavic 2)

This is Unlike when using the Mavic1.
Iv seen multiple references and videos of the same- and it appears that its a DRONE issue because DJI waypoints 2 also does this-

Is there something that can FIX this ?

2) When Zooming - Litchi should slow the sensitivity - 2x Zoom = 2x more Unstable panning

The K Spot nails the issue perfectly starting at minute 13:

Waypoints 2.0 Tutorial and Bugs

DJI has not sorted out this Jerky behaviour - So Here are some thoughts to help them out.

In my opinion...
This is Not LITCHI - Or Go4 - having the BUG (it Most likely is the Flight Controller on the drone operating waypoints 2.0)

BOTH SOFTWARE have this Jerky Movement (and they are different Software)

I can only resolve this to :
Theory#1) The actual Drone (- a Problem with the Flight Controller Software OR Waypoints 2.0 Software) , see DJI SDK documentation on WAYPOINT Mission

The DJI SDK provides for control of "the Flight Controller" on the Drone- which flies the Aircraft.
It does everything to do with Balance, rotation of motors and has all the intelligence to move the aircraft in any direction ie Yaw, pitch, speed, Up and Down etc - apart from many other abilities.
Part of this also has software (Waypoints 2.0) for receiving , storing and implementing an Uploaded Mission- in its entirety - and allowing the aircraft to operate Unilaterally over that mission. Although some of this software does have overriding control from the RC (Remote Controller), the flight controller appears to execute the Basic Mission from Beginning to end-

So to me, it appears to be a Glitch in the WP Mission section of this software- where (say) a left/right Yaw is intermittent.
Where it (the Flight controller) is given an instruction(s) by the 'Uploaded Mission' to Yaw (smoothly) between two end points, it DOESNT, or delays, or is busy with other Jobs to do with the mission, or it resets itself -
Alternatively it may be a rounding error - when (say) smoothly incrementing from 1 to 10 it skips and rounds off decimal values …
….. EITHER or Anyway its Not smooth. (iv made these errors myself- being a programmer- )
- Solution : (in this case) is to Prioritize the YAW

so Theory #1: (of the above) would be Likely - as Perfectly smooth turns are possible by a Manual Operator of the RC.

--- OR ---

Theory#2) Alternatively the SOFTWARE used in the RC (remote Controller) in sending TURN instructions, Ordered by the Go4 or Litchi APP(s) …. through the RC to the Drone- (like the left or right yaw is not constant)

SO LOOKING at these Options:

ie for Theory #2: if an APP on the phone orders a smooth YAW between points, it sends a 'left instruction' to stick one on the RC. (I assume) - eg The x coordinate of the knob. Values are between -1 (left) and 1 (right).
(See Joystick Control)
Seeing the Glitch (Jerkiness) happens with Both of the Software (Go4 and Litchi) talking to the RC which is the ONLY intermediatry between software and drone, It must be an RC problem - It appears that the instruction is ends up being intermittent in value causing the Jerkiness.

In this Case,
Theory #2: (of the above) would be Most Likely - as Perfectly smooth turns are possible by a Manual Operator of the RC.
But I suspect Theory #1

Has Anyone got a theory on this? - Lets help out DJI settle this once and for all

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthGADronePilot
When you view the recorded video on the drones SD card in a computer do you still see this jerky movement?

… absolutely

Reactions: NorthGADronePilot
Has Anyone got a theory on this? - Lets help out DJI settle this once and for all

According to the engineers I've corresponded with at Litchi, it's caused by a bug in the Mavic 2 firmware. It's frankly incredible to me that Litchi has been reporting this issue for months, DJI HAS to know about it now that they've released Waypoints 2.0, yet they've still done nothing to address it. Frustrating.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore